Spurs field illegal player ??

geordie_b

Guest toonlass

On a not so very similar note, couldn't Barton do something outrageous now to get his six match suspended ban (or whatever it was called) while he's out injured?

I would give him £50 to punch insomnia in the face like.

Guest kirkpatrick9

Tottenham Hotspur are in real danger of having points docked for illegally playing Wilson Palacios in their Premier League clash against Bolton Wanderers yesterday.

The Honduran international was serving a ban for his former club Wigan Athletic, and there are rumours that because he played in yesterday's game, legal action should be taken against Spurs.

The suggestion is that if Palacios was still a Wigan player, his ban would have finished on 31st January, but because he moved to White Hart Lane, the ban should see him cup tied for Carling Cup and FA Cup games, meaning his ban should be carried over these games.

Therefore, his fixture list should read:

Wednesday Jan 21 2009 Burnley CC (A) (cup tied)

Saturday Jan 24 2009 Manchester United FA (A) (cup tied)

Tuesday Jan 27 2009 Stoke City (H) (suspended)

Saturday Jan 31 2009 Bolton Wanderers (A) (suspended)

Sunday Feb 08 2009 Arsenal (H) (ban lifted)

This news was revealed by a Wigan fans' website, and it is not known whether the Premier League will take legal action against Spurs, but what seems certain is that Palacios should have been made unavailable to Harry Redknapp and therefore should not have been played in the 3-2 defeat against Bolton yesterday.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2009/02/01/1088669/tottenham-hotspur-face-point-deduction

Will be interesting to she what happens here. I expect nothing  :tickedoff:

Something will happen and I'm sure a precedent has been set recently.

Guest kingdawson

Apparently you can count cup-tied games towards suspensions, and that's just the way it is.

Which is stupid.

Hopefully people will listen now.

Apparently you can count cup-tied games towards suspensions, and that's just the way it is.

Which is stupid.

Hopefully people will listen now.

If that's the case thats retarded.  You shouldn't be allowed to use games you are not eligible for to run down a ban.  It's very similar to the Bowyer thing as mentioned above, he wasn't eligible (we didn't register him) so he had to run down his ban when he was registered.  This may open a  whole new can of worms for the FA.

i hope so, it is a bit of a pisstake. you shouldn't be permitted to be banned for games you're ineligible for, else there's no point in the ban

I also think that bans should only affect the competition in which the offence was committed.

6 point deduction sounds right.  :knuppel2:

Similar thing happened with Bowyer I think. He was banned for 6 Euro games i think, so NUFC didn't register him. As they didn't register him, he wasn't technically eligible to play in those games so they didn't count towards his ban, so he ended up missing 12 games I think.

Under the rules Tottenham have fielded an ineligible player for a Premier League game, and they should be docked points. You cannot apply one rule to lower teams and throw them out the FA Cup (which has a massive impact on the club involved given the relative income from cup games), and another rule to rich teams.