Ryan Taylor

Dave

Routledge = Can beat a mean but can't cross.

Raylor = can't beat a man but can cross.

Advantages and disadvantages to both. If we're playing opposition with a left back that's not capable of roaming forward then there's less risk in playing Raylor as the LB won't need to be pinned back by the dangerous pace/breaking ability of Routledge.

Raylor costs us possession regularly though as his short range passing isn't the best and he doesn't have a trick/the ability to hold he ball in the same way as say a Tiote or Jonas.

So Raylor won't relieve any pressure through possession. If we're playing an inferior team though and we can dominate in other areas/win set pieces regularly then he's worth having in the side due to the sheer quality of his crossing from dead balls.

It's a null point when we've got Joey Barton fit though because his crossing from set pieces is very strong which doesn't warrant the inclusion of Raylor as he brings nothing else.

So, long way of saying, neither are good enough and we need to replace Routledge with somebody who brings something extra in comparison to Raylor and Routledge.

Just a random thought, but actual good wingers outside of the top teams are pretty damn rare these days, aren't they?

Not really. Jarvis (Wolves), Downing & Albrighton (Villa) and N'Zog (Wigan) all off the top of my head.

Just a random thought, but actual good wingers outside of the top teams are pretty damn rare these days, aren't they?

Not really. Jarvis (Wolves), Downing & Albrighton (Villa) and N'Zog (Wigan) all off the top of my head.

Etherington too.

Etherington too.

Pedersen, Brunt, Henderson ... Gutierrez.  :lol:

Guest palnese

Etherington too.

Pedersen, Brunt, Henderson ... Gutierrez.  :lol:

I think they all play in the middle most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...
Having played in a number of positions throughout his career, Taylor is keen to shed his 'jack of all trades' image and nail down a place in the side.

He said: "Hopefully I can have a chat with him (Pardew) and tell him where I want to play, position-wise. I've been thinking over the last few months while I've been injured and I would like to try and stake my claim for right midfield. I know Joey (Barton) plays there but that's maybe where I see myself playing.

"I'll have a chat with him and try and cement a place in the team. That's getting a bit too carried away at the minute, but I'll hopefully try and get my face in sooner rather than later."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110214/ryan-licking-his-lips-over-return_2281670_2293063?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter