How can we protest and yet still support the team?

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest The Libertine
A few songs have been stuck in my head lately suspicious minds and rem   

its the end of the world as we know it.

52k people trying to sing that?

help me out here - how does not buying club merchandise, stuff at st james, programmes help the club?

the way i see it it reduces revenue, making us poorer, less attractive to potential buyers, generating less funds for player purchases....

i understand that you feel like protesting, i am just not sure how to do it either.....

pointing some things out that may have been overlooked:

(a) if ashley had the money he'd be putting more into the playing side of things already

(b) he isn't putting anything in to the playing side of the club

© he isn't going to

(d) if anyone wanted to buy the club they'd have done so

(e) nobody bought the club when ashley tried to sell it

bearing in mind (a)-(e) can someone please tell me what they think any kind of protest would achieve?  it's not like the old days when someone was holding on against the wishes of everyone with someone waiting to buy, he wants out but can't get out unless he loses 100m quid or something

so, i suppose i've answered my own question, the protesters must be hoping to convince ashley to throw away 100m quid

good luck with that

Guest black n white

A few songs have been stuck in my head lately suspicious minds and rem   

its the end of the world as we know it.

52k people trying to sing that?

;D

Everybody after 4,    ah 1,2,3,4

But it is a good way of protesting and supporting the team, change the words to the blaydon races would be ideal.

I mean we were quite angry as soon as KK left BUT Ashley didnt even flinch

Eh?

From where I'm standing it looked like he absolutely s*** his pants and threw away all his plans for club. In fact that's the biggest mistake he made.

I wish he had the balls not to flinch, then we wouldn't be in this f***ing horrible situation now.

There were no plans for the club - he is a fat lying bastard, you simply have to look at how much we have spent on transfers and all the lying he has done to realise that.

He will continue to treat the fans with contempt because he knows by and large they will keep coming back for more like a domestic abuse victim - thats the reality of it.

The only way to send a message to him is by not turning up

What is the desired outcome of the protest?

To simply enforce the message that we do not accept the treatment given to us & the running of the club.

Aye, but what do you want to happen as a result of it? That's the point.

And how are you going to design a protest that actually achieves those outcomes?

Otherwise it's just blowing hot air.

For him to know that most have the same feeling towards him and for him know full-well that the fans want the club to be run in a much better way, to put pressure on him to do that, to get him to explain Wise's role, to get better people than bloody Llambias in, and also if he's not willing to change to put pressure on for him to sell if there are interest parties if we make life uncomfortable. Obviously theres for credit crunch (the club potentially having Premiership status in the summer makes it more attractive), so people arnt stupid, we know its a lot tougher to find buyers, but its not impossbile someone *might* come along and show an interest, you just dont know for certain.

He tried to sell the club at a profit after having decreased its value and during a global market crash. He needs to sell at a loss.

To simply enforce the message that we do not accept the treatment given to us & the running of the club.

And how are you going to design a protest that actually achieves those outcomes?

For him to know that most have the same feeling towards him and for him know full-well that the fans want the club to be run in a much better way, to put pressure on him to do that, to get him to explain Wise's role, to get better people than bloody Llambias in, and also if he's not willing to change to put pressure on for him to sell if there are interest parties if we make life uncomfortable. Obviously theres for credit crunch (the club potentially having Premiership status in the summer makes it more attractive), so people arnt stupid, we know its a lot tougher to find buyers, but its not impossbile someone *might* come along and show an interest, you just dont know for certain.

so, to put pressure on him to make 10's of millions of pounds loss then, in a nutshell?

He tried to sell the club at a profit after having decreased its value and during a global market crash. He needs to sell at a loss.

indeed, see the end of my post

so, to put pressure on him to make 10's of millions of pounds loss then, in a nutshell?

you dont know no-one would come in with an offer which isnt a loss, if he dosent change his ways and the fans are still with total contempt than yes I'd like to see pressure on him to sell at a loss.

you dont know no-one would come in with an offer which isnt a loss, if he dosent change his ways and the fans are still with total contempt than yes I'd like to see pressure on him to sell at a loss.

know what you're saying but there is simply no chance in hell he's getting his money back, none

as long as we stay up the strength of feeling toward him from the masses won't reach fever pitch imo, go down different story...just don't see what any protest is going to realistically achieve

know what you're saying but there is simply no chance in hell he's getting his money back, none

as long as we stay up the strength of feeling toward him from the masses won't reach fever pitch imo, go down different story...just don't see what any protest is going to realistically achieve

I think once media get hold of things, and the microscope is put firmly over certain area's, then the chances of a change are better. Like on skysports, its never mentioned; what is Dennis Wise's role, if they covered report of a protest (or constant protests) of people asking that, then it would be discussed in the media a lot more, and there would be a lot more pressure to explain things for example. Nothings for certain, and the chances of change arnt exactly stacked in our favour, but you've gotta at least try imo.

I think once media get hold of things, and the microscope is put firmly over certain area's, then the chances of a change are better. Like on skysports, its never mentioned; what is Dennis Wise's role, if they covered report of a protest (or constant protests) of people asking that, then it would be discussed in the media a lot more, and there would be a lot more pressure to explain things for example. Nothings for certain, and the chances of change arnt exactly stacked in our favour, but you've gotta at least try imo.

don't disagree with that, but it also weakens ashleys position in negotiations and strenthens the hand of the buyer - that's fine if he bought the club cheap and his potential loss is minimal, with ashley it's the opposite

everything we see & hear about the guy suggests he ain't going to walk away taking a massive loss, i think he WOULD bleed us dry before doing that, asset strip if you will

Eh?

From where I'm standing it looked like he absolutely s*** his pants and threw away all his plans for club. In fact that's the biggest mistake he made.

I wish he had the balls not to flinch, then we wouldn't be in this f***ing horrible situation now.

There were no plans for the club - he is a fat lying bastard, you simply have to look at how much we have spent on transfers and all the lying he has done to realise that.

That's just plainly wrong though, he came in and instituted a review of the club led by Chris Mort that revealed our true situation, and put in place a recruitment/back room system that he thought would help us get by on limited funds - the very system that supposedly led to Keegan's departure.

Don't know where you get the idea he never had a plan, the problem is that he couldn't stick to it through the hard times.

Eh?

There were no plans for the club - he is a fat lying b******, you simply have to look at how much we have spent on transfers and all the lying he has done to realise that.

That's just plainly wrong though, he came in and instituted a review of the club led by Chris Mort that revealed our true situation, and put in place a recruitment/back room system that he thought would help us get by on limited funds - the very system that supposedly led to Keegan's departure.

Don't know where you get the idea he never had a plan, the problem is that he couldn't stick to it through the hard times.

Hmmm let me guess, the fact that we are up shit creek without a paddle

Keegan left because he was being undermined and promises were broken

It seems likely to me that Ashley simply doesn't have the money to do anything more than what's he doing -- pumping enough in there to keep the club going.

If he could have sold up without taking an unacceptably huge hit he would have done it already.

Current financial circumstances have reduced his own fortune, made the club look like a less interesting buy, made the Premiership as a whole look like a less interesting proposition, big-money-wise (even Liverpool and Arsenal are in trouble, Chelsea are in sell-to-buy mode, last year's FA Cup winners are broke and also looking for new owners), and made it more or less impossible for anyone that isn't immensely cash-rich (we're talking the richest people in the world, here) to buy the club, keep it solvent, and make huge investments in the playing staff.

Would these people be holding off for Ashley to drop his price? And anyone tempted to buy the club so they could have some fun in the exciting, glamorous world of Premiership football will certainly have watched with interest Ashley's attempt to do the same.

It's possible he will sell at a loss, I suppose, if it looks like the club is just going to remain a black hole for his cash. If protests are going to assist to that end, then they'll only do so by making things much worse before they get better. And the kind of owner we'd end up with wouldn't likely be the kind of minted Fairy Godmother everyone's hoping for right now.

It seems likely to me that Ashley simply doesn't have the money to do anything more than what's he doing -- pumping enough in there to keep the club going.

If he could have sold up without taking an unacceptably huge hit he would have done it already.

Current financial circumstances have reduced his own fortune, made the club look like a less interesting buy, made the Premiership as a whole look like a less interesting proposition, big-money-wise (even Liverpool and Arsenal are in trouble, Chelsea are in sell-to-buy mode, last year's FA Cup winners are broke and also looking for new owners), and made it more or less impossible for anyone that isn't immensely cash-rich (we're talking the richest people in the world, here) to buy the club, keep it solvent, and make huge investments in the playing staff.

Would these people be holding off for Ashley to drop his price? And anyone tempted to buy the club so they could have some fun in the exciting, glamorous world of Premiership football will certainly have watched with interest Ashley's attempt to do the same.

It's possible he will sell at a loss, I suppose, if it looks like the club is just going to remain a black hole for his cash. If protests are going to assist to that end, then they'll only do so by making things much worse before they get better. And the kind of owner we'd end up with wouldn't likely be the kind of minted Fairy Godmother everyone's hoping for right now.

Broadly agree. Infact I don't think his cash position was actually ever that strong (liquidity). A vast amount of his wealth is paper wealth and even that has been seriously compromised. Someone said in another thread that he should have actually got involved with a smaller club and I agree with that now.

I've been looking at suggestions from an old thread. Here's one:

The point of a campaign should be to weaken Fat FredMike's position before the next approach from Belgravia or suchlike.

There should be banners and chants, things people will notice on television, stuff commentators and reporters will have to mention, so that the next time even someone as shameless as he is can't chunder on about "the people of Tyneside being a massive football fan" or the importance of having someone "who understands the club running the club responsibly". We will have made it very clear what he's supposed to "understand".

Declining attendances would also concentrate his mind wonderfully.

totally agree - not like if someone fancied buying the club from ashley with loans they'd have banks falling over themselves to dish out the cash is it?

not an ashley fan by any means but how people can't see the misfortune of circumstance in our current predicament is beyond me

I made that same point yesterday, what kind of owner will we end up with who can only afford to buy us in a crisis sale?

I've been looking at suggestions from an old thread. Here's one:

The point of a campaign should be to weaken Fat FredMike's position before the next approach from Belgravia or suchlike.

There should be banners and chants, things people will notice on television, stuff commentators and reporters will have to mention, so that the next time even someone as shameless as he is can't chunder on about "the people of Tyneside being a massive football fan" or the importance of having someone "who understands the club running the club responsibly". We will have made it very clear what he's supposed to "understand".

Declining attendances would also concentrate his mind wonderfully.

Aye, but back then there was some hope of the club being sold. The old board hung on too long, to our detriment.

I made that same point yesterday, what kind of owner will we end up with who can only afford to buy us in a crisis sale?

Of course there's always the possibility that we'll simply go bankrupt.

Eh?

There were no plans for the club - he is a fat lying b******, you simply have to look at how much we have spent on transfers and all the lying he has done to realise that.

Hmmm let me guess, the fact that we are up shit creek without a paddle

Keegan left because he was being undermined and promises were broken

I've explained why I think it went wrong, you don't have to tell me we're in the shit FFS.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

That was a question a fan asked on the NUSC stream, a very good question I thought.

My own personal protest has seen me not purchase anything from Sports Direct, any food or drink from SJP, match programmes and other publications or anything else NUFC related like shirts and such.

I'd be up for other forms of protest as long as it stayed away from the 90 minutes of football.

Ideas? Thoughts?

PS this is a thread for those up for such a thing, if its not your tea-bag, stay the f*** out of it please. Thanks  :thup:

Half time turn your backs to the field and keep silent. Show the board your here for the team and the team only. I would like to name it the "Ameobi"......

To be honest I think the whole thing is going the wrong way. Not paying cash into the club causes more problems for the club than it solves. The fact is at the minute Ashley is paying off the clubs cash flow problems at the minute so that we're not running at a loss to anyone but him. if we stop putting money in he has to put more money in that way and that means less chance of him buying new players and more likely he'll try his best to slash the clubs wage bill meaning less players in and more players leaving.

What would surely be a better suggestion would be to try and encourage a partner for Ashely. this was something ashley was looking for ages ago but unfortunately because of all the shit that hit the fan with the fans protests etc nobody would want to work anywhere near the man. If we can waken that up again and get that extra millionare alongside Ashley who also has a say in the running of the club (ashley agreed to this before) then we can finally start to move forward again quicker.