NUSC - Good or Bad?

indi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Firstly, I apologise for reverting back to the thing I always do, and that's the Toon Ultras...

Secondly, I think it's vital for any form of new supporters group to be genuine and open minded in their approach, especially if they want to grow (which pretty much every group will want to do). I personally believe that Toon Ultras as a group, when it started out, was very ignorant and stubborn in its approach (probably due to its overwhleming amount of young members). However, we as agroup have became far more open-minded and taken on board various opinions and have managed to grow even if it is only by a little bit. I also believe that despite it only growing slightly it has now been accepted by the majority of Newcastle Fans who know of its existence.

On the other hand, you have NUSC - who are equally as ignorant and stubborn in their approach. This is something I don't mind, as like I say the group I get involved with most was in a similar position. The difference being, like mentioned in previous posts, we were and are a bunch of inexperienced young lads, looking to do something positive, and our goal has never really moved or changed - we still intend to Bring Back The Noise. The NUSC is a bunch of experienced, respectable older blokes, who are far more knowledgeable and wiser than alot of our members and they are aiming for something which is arguably far more negative.

Now this isn't the problem, but rather the name of their group is (haven't we heard this old debate before)..the Toon Ultras actually can claim to putting a non-hooliganesque spin on the name, as an Ultra is just someone who claims to be fanatical about something. Newcastle United Supporters Club is a bit more rigid and will always be interpreted as the main group listening to the vast majority of supporters and claiming to represent the majority....even though it currently isn't.

If it were to grow it would need to take a less stubborn approach, and it would also need to stop asking members to pay to join. What the f*** do they actually do with the money? Make Anti-Ashley banners? Why the f*** can they not make some pro-Newcastle ones too if this is the case? If not where does this money go?

I don't have anything against anyone who is anti-ashley, I don't really have any complaints in fans voicing their views to the club, it's all about timing though. Now is not the time and to answer someones question earlier in the thread - no, Mike Ashley is definately not the main issue at this club at present, staying the Premiership is. Anyone, in my opinion, who can't see this is a bit of a mongoloid....I think some people (not all) would rather we went down and got rid of Ashley than we stayed up and he stayed.

I can understand Dave and more people need to turn up and voice opposing views or pose questions about there other aims and goals. However, in the mean time I think it's down to the NUSC to promote a more democratic outlook, which would be more appealing to potential members. Until they speak to the supporters, they will be limited.

Finally, I just want to re-ittirate my annoyance about how these as a group have managed to come under far less scrutiny than the Toon Ultras, and I feel rather annoyed by the constant portrayal that us Newcastle Fans are all Ashley hating savages who are on one mission and that's to get rid of Big Mike. We are passionate about our club, and what is best for it. What is best for it is staying up. Anti-Ashley rallys certaintly aren't best for it, backing the boys on the pitch is something that could significantly help.

best thing the toon ultras can do is to join the NUSC, get the best of both worlds,  the extra clout and influence that NUSC can only be good in spreading the message that the toon ultras are trying to portray.  Heza don't believe most of this thread as its based on blinkered opinions and not showing a true reflection on the NUSC from the 3 meetings i have been to. 

Aye, I agree, I am just uncertain as to whether they would be open to this idea and I wonder how it would work...

I have a sneaking suspicion that they would see it as them doing us a massive favour rather than it being reciprocal, but that's just an assumption. It would be best for a few lads from Toon Ultras to go to the next meeting though....

I don't know how many members you've got but i bet there's 1000's of NUFC fans who go to SJP every week who have no idea you exist.  One of the most vocal people at the last NUSC meeting hadn't even heard of the NUSC, with all their publicity until a couple of hours before that meeting and he said the lads he goes with hadn't heard of it either. 

If there's people out their unaware of the NUSC, the what chance have the toon ultras got to get their message across?

We have displayed our main intentions in the ground really, a Bring Back The Noise banner and vocal fans sitting/standing together kind of says enough really...but doesn't say everything I guess.

You're right though, we need to get our intentions and aims out so they are a bit more clear. We have a lack of structure compared to NUSC, and ours doesn't have specific leaders, that is what is the problem in a way, we need a group of dedicated leaders with the time to push us forward.

We have displayed our main intentions in the ground really, a Bring Back The Noise banner and vocal fans sitting/standing together kind of says enough really...but doesn't say everything I guess.

You're right though, we need to get our intentions and aims out so they are a bit more clear. We have a lack of structure compared to NUSC, and ours doesn't have specific leaders, that is what is the problem in a way, we need a group of dedicated leaders with the time to push us forward.

Right i can't speak for the NUSC or the committee, all i did was join on the first meeting but i will say this,  despite what you have read on here, NUSC are 100% behind our team and i highly doubt they would have any problem joining forces, or you all go under the one name, and they would promote any ideas you bring to the table to improve fans in the ground supporting the players, whether being flag days or whatever.   Approach them on Sunday and see what they say.  You never know, you've shown what you can do and what you can organise,  you never know what could happen,  this time next year you could be in charge of the NUSC, if you wanted it, the committee who are currently in charge are in that role till the end of the season,  anyone who is a member can put themselves forward when proper elections are made next summer.  If you join and have support you can get your voice heard.  something for even the critics on here to think about, changes can be made.

At last a statement regarding the purpose of The Rally:

The Rally arranged by NUSC on Sunday is planned to raise NUSC's desire for Newcastle United Supporters to unite together in support of the club and where it stands in our hearts.

So it's all about, er... raising the NUSC's desire!

NUSC believes that this is a critical point in our season and that unity is strength when it comes to shaping the future direction of the Club both on and off the field.

Load of waffle, let's face it.

At last a statement regarding the purpose of The Rally:

The Rally arranged by NUSC on Sunday is planned to raise NUSC's desire for Newcastle United Supporters to unite together in support of the club and where it stands in our hearts.

So it's all about, er... raising the NUSC's desire!

NUSC believes that this is a critical point in our season and that unity is strength when it comes to shaping the future direction of the Club both on and off the field.

Load of waffle, let's face it.

but you believe in making a protest don't you

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,31195.msg582620.html#msg582620

mackems.gif

I haven't the slightest idea why you find my two-and-a-half-year-old suggestions for successful protesting either amusing or relevant to the current discussion

no, you wouldn't, would you.  Even with hindsight.  mackems.gif Never mind ozzie I'm sure others will see the point perfectly.

Do you also still think Belgravia would have made better owners, along with Ashley  mackems.gif

To continue with the thread then, please explain why you have changed your mind as to the value of a protest  mackems.gif

They don't want what's best for the club? ???

Of course you may disagree on the best method of acheiving the best for the club but to say they don't want that? I don't understand. What do you feel is their motive then?

What response have they given to people who disagree with them? Genuine question, I've not seen that. The guy at the last meeting caused a few murmors but other than that?

Charging non-members to attend would be a fucking joke.

How about their plans for taking the club forward as opposed to Ashley's 5 year vision? What would they do differently? How would it be financed? Who will provide the finance?

I would be genuinely interested in any NUSC views.

No comment from the NUSC. What a surprise.

They don't want what's best for the club? ???

Of course you may disagree on the best method of acheiving the best for the club but to say they don't want that? I don't understand. What do you feel is their motive then?

What response have they given to people who disagree with them? Genuine question, I've not seen that. The guy at the last meeting caused a few murmors but other than that?

Charging non-members to attend would be a fucking joke.

How about their plans for taking the club forward as opposed to Ashley's 5 year vision? What would they do differently? How would it be financed? Who will provide the finance?

I would be genuinely interested in any NUSC views.

No comment from the NUSC. What a surprise.

thats like macbeth writing pages of criticism of the old regime for not letting them have a say in running the club ??  bluelaugh.gif

I haven't the slightest idea why you find my two-and-a-half-year-old suggestions for successful protesting either amusing or relevant to the current discussion

no, you wouldn't, would you.  Even with hindsight.  mackems.gif Never mind ozzie I'm sure others will see the point perfectly.

So you can't explain its relevance. Needless to say.

Why don't you go and spew all over some other thread?

So you can't explain its relevance. Needless to say.

Why don't you go and spew all over some other thread?

you're a hypocrite.

And know nowt.

Bye.

To continue with the thread then, please explain why you have changed your mind as to the value of a protest

You could equally try to explain why one makes sense at the moment.

Note that NUSC are not describing The Rally as a protest.

you could try explaining why you thought protesting was relevant when you advocated it in the link I gave.

and you think the NUSC are organising a rally in support of Mike Ashley are they  mackems.gif

Absolutely staggering hypocrisy.

We would also like to emphasise that this is not a protest and no march is planned or sanctioned nor permission requested by NUSC.

what do you think it is then ?

You must be trying to make some sort of point here ?

I think you've assisted greatly in making my point that the aims of this event remain pretty incoherent.

Thanks!

which is of course that you support protests but you don't support protests  mackems.gif

Or you think the NUSC is organising a rally with Mike Ashley as the star guest so they can all shake his hand and pat him on the head for doing such a sterling job ?

mackems.gif

Right i can't speak for the NUSC or the committee, all i did was join on the first meeting but i will say this,  despite what you have read on here, NUSC are 100% behind our team and i highly doubt they would have any problem joining forces, or you all go under the one name, and they would promote any ideas you bring to the table to improve fans in the ground supporting the players, whether being flag days or whatever.   Approach them on Sunday and see what they say.  You never know, you've shown what you can do and what you can organise,  you never know what could happen,  this time next year you could be in charge of the NUSC, if you wanted it, the committee who are currently in charge are in that role till the end of the season,  anyone who is a member can put themselves forward when proper elections are made next summer.  If you join and have support you can get your voice heard.  something for even the critics on here to think about, changes can be made.

never, ever expected the american dream to be used as a selling point for NUSC :lol:

Heza - as someone reading these messages from an impartial view, I'd strongly suggest holding fire on any possible 'merger' between the successful TU and the NUSC. While getting all NUFC-related fan groups under one umbrella may be a good thing in the long term, it would be wise to ensure that all parties involved are using similar methods and have like-minded attitudes.

Give the NUSC a chance to show that they can be reasonable and successful communicating with all of the supporters and the club, then consider their offer of a merger. You're currently the bigger fan group so the chips are on your side, the NUSC only have the generic name and the short-term publicity (not all positive) going for them  - at the moment.

As for people not hearing of the Toon Ultras or Bring Back the Noise...I'd wager that a good 60-65% of our home support have come across the idea/name/club before and have a fair idea about what it means. Unlike those chaps at the NUSC...

I wonder just how much unity will actually be preached? It would be a pretty big turn around if they did, I suspect that what they mean is unity so long as you agree with what they say and that the use of the word "unity" merely reflects their arrogant belief that no-one could possibly hold a different opinion to the one they do.

The thing about it not being a protest is simply a disclaimer because they've been told by the police that they can do those things, they admitted that they're planning to "walk together to the match" afterwards, it'll be interesting to see what the police's opinion about that is.

If NUSC had started off life as a general supporters' club, and then the majority of members had become committed to a particular cause, then that would have been fine.

In reality, the opposite happened. A group of people got organised behind a particular cause, and then called themselves a general supporters' club.

100% pure truth.

Well, they say it's not a protest.

You say it's a protest.

Either you're wrong or they're hypocrites.

you've came on here for a few years spouting one liner crap. Now you are whining on when you get them back.

Basically if you can't take it don't dish it out, if you hadn't started spouting these myself and one or two others would never have noticed you.

Its a rally, rally's make a statement or a protest about something, usually, in the real world that is.

You're against them then you support them  mackems.gif

Back to the topic I reckon ..........

If NUSC had started off life as a general supporters' club, and then the majority of members had become committed to a particular cause, then that would have been fine.

In reality, the opposite happened. A group of people got organised behind a particular cause, and then called themselves a general supporters' club.

100% pure truth.

that is true, and its probably how they will end up. It's just that something happened to trigger off the feeling. Thats all there is to it, what's wrong with that ?

Must admit, I don't agree with the 10 quid membership fee though. The old "Newcastle United Supporters Club" used to charge a fee, but for your fee you got cheap away travel, a club shop, etc etc. Entirely different. If they abolish the fee they would probably get a lot more backing.

http://www.newcastle-united-supporters-club.co.uk/events.php

Latest information released by NUSC:

The Rally arranged by NUSC on Sunday is planned to raise NUSC's desire for Newcastle United Supporters to unite together in support of Newcastle United and where it stands in our hearts. NUSC believes that this is a critical point in our season and that unity is strength when it comes to shaping the future direction of the Club both on and off the field.

The timetable is as follows

+2pm - entertainment by the Newcastle Drum Band

2.30pm speaking opportunity

2.50pm - musical interlude

3.00pm - second speaking opportunity

3.10pm - live music from "Oh Lads"

3.20pm third speaking opportunity

3.30pm musical finale and orderly disperse to St James' Park for what hopefully will be 3 well earned points come 6pm.

(these times are flexible and may be liable to change)

the "staging" area will be at the south side of the monument facing down towards Grey St.

The whole emphasis will be on generating a fun, carnival atmosphere. We hope to have flags and banners on display and we welcome supporters to bring along and display their own flags. There will be an opportunity for those who wish to, to take up membership of NUSC.

Some members have requested that NUSC petition the executives of Newcastle United therefore members will be seeking support for the petition during the course of the rally.

There will be stewards on hand, wearing hi visibility jackets who will be there to assist anyone who requires help and a low key but nonetheless obvious police presence will be in the vicinity; as there would be on any normal match day.

NUSC politely request that those attending the rally pay respect to those who wish to go about their normal sunday shopping experience and allow them to do so with the minimum of distraction. We would also like to emphasise that this is not a protest and no march is planned or sanctioned nor permission requested by NUSC.