NUSC - Good or Bad?

indi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So not only does no-one know what the point of the rally is, there's not a single mention of it on the NUSC website! This lack of communication is a disgrace!! I demand that the leadership of NUSC meets with us (me) to tell us what their plans are for the future of the (supporters') club.

i'm not going to argue with you on that score, i agree with you its shocking that there has been nothing said about what this rally is for or what they plan to achieve, they've had nearly 2 weeks to get the heads together and come up with something!!

NUSC could become a good supporters' club, I just don't see any evidence of them doing so, or even trying to at present. As for the their anti-Ashley campaign, well the first thing you have to do if you're going to criticise someone's running of their organisation is to make sure that you don't do the exact same thing with yours, they don't seem to see the irony in that, let alone the hypocrisy.

Won't deny its had "teething" problems but was always going to considering it was formed on the back of the Keegan dismissal and feelings among fans running high,  this forum has been critical of NUSC for its hardline approach whereas i've read things on the chronicle forum and people on there are giving it a hardtime for not been hard enough!!

I still believe its got a big future,  whatever criticisms people on here have its growing daily, if you believe True Faith it already  the largest and fastest growing independent correctly convened club supporters association in the UK(not sure what they mean by correctly convened mind),  there's already as far as i'm aware plans for it to become a supporters trust which would be a good move and give it more power and credence.

What is the significance of being a supporter's trust? How does that work?

I can't remember exactly what was said to be honest,  Colin Whittle proposed it at the first (and only!!) members meeting mpnths ago and it was voted through with a huge majority,  i think he'd looked into starting one when there was the save our seats carry on years ago.  The one thing that has stuck in head though is that if it gets trust status it can get government funding, but again i'm not sure how that would work.

You see that's one of the main problems with NUSC, it's all about "how can we get bigger, how can we get more members and more publicity?" and very little about "why do we exist, what are we about, what are we trying to say and how can we serve our members' interests?". It just seems like one huge vanity project for its leadership built on the back of the current unrest amongst the fans.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Name one positive thing that they've done in their six months.

If you want, you can include something that has made Ashley's departure more likely as one of your "positive" things, you still won't find anything.

Whatever your view on Ashley, NUSC has achieved nothing, other than self-publicity.

Raised over £3000 for the SBR Foundation.

Here you go then, what have they achieved for supporters of Newcastle United in their 6 months of existance? And don't bullshit with the "stewards" crap because they had sod all to do with that, and the 2 fans who were arrested at the boro, well its hardly made a huge impact on the 40,000 others who regularly attend matches. Have they had a go at Newcastle United for changing their number from an 0191 number to an 0845 one? NOPE. Have they asked Newcastle United to justify the prices in the kiosks at the ground, sodding nearly £2 for a bottle of coke, over £3 for a pint? NOPE. Have they done anything other than have a go at Ashley and Llambias? NOPE!

You never know they club might reduce their kiosk prices as a result of the boycott!!!!

I can't really see them having a word in Ashleys ear about that really.  i'd love to hear that conversation...

" hi mike, i know we are boycotting your drinks and food in the ground but don't suppose you would mind reducing the price a bit,  a few of the fans not boycotting are moaning that £3 a pint is too much"

NUSC have to prove themselves to be a fully subscribed workable member driven organisation reprasenting the majority of fans opinions and have an impact on club policy BEFORE you'll subscribe?

What a strange and defeatist attitude towards a supporters club in its infancy.

Of course Ashley and his gang have had two years without any positive effect whatsoever, but they just need more time, which you're happy to give them.

:harry:

They want me to sign-up and pay a fee BEFORE they do anything I remotely agree with!?!?!!??!?!!?  :harry:

They have to show some signs of heading towards that is closer to what I actually said.

I've laid out my objections and issues with NUSC a number of times in this thread, if you want to know what they are I suggest you read them.

If/when NUSC becomes a proper supporters' club i'll reevaluate my opinion of them, until that happens they'll continue to be a single-issue protest group and should not try and pass themselves off as something they're not.

Is it strange for a supporters' club to take issue with the owner if they feel the owner and structure are the biggest barriers to the club's success? I think all supporters' groups around the country would do something similar, it just so happens that NUSC was formed out of frustration at the club's actions.

And I don't think the transfer spending is the only issue that NUSC have a problem with, there are plenty of other things the the club's management are doing wrong.

No it is not strange, what's strange is when a supporters' club does nothing else, but that. That's generally referred to as a one-issue protest group.

I assume that the transfer thing is not in reference to what I said.

Considering that prior to NUSC's establishment we simply had Frank Gilmour acting as rent-a-gob on the fans' supposed behalf, surely having any multi-party interest group speaking up on behalf of the fans has to be, of itself, something to be encouraged and welcomed?

Considering that prior to NUSC's establishment we simply had Frank Gilmour acting as rent-a-gob on the fans' supposed behalf, surely having any multi-party interest group speaking up on behalf of the fans has to be, of itself, something to be encouraged and welcomed?

If that's what we had then; yes, it would.

That's why the wording of their official statements has to be done in the best way possible to suit the majority. You're never going to please every fan whether they're signed up to a supporter's club or not.

That's probably why people are so critical of them, they realise NUSC represents a fan's voice, so they keep an extra close eye on it. I'm criticise and compliment them where I see fit, and there's no reason why that shouldn't go for any other fan as long as they're fair about it.

Guest toonlass

So not only does no-one know what the point of the rally is, there's not a single mention of it on the NUSC website! This lack of communication is a disgrace!! I demand that the leadership of NUSC meets with us (me) to tell us what their plans are for the future of the (supporters') club.

i'm not going to argue with you on that score, i agree with you its shocking that there has been nothing said about what this rally is for or what they plan to achieve, they've had nearly 2 weeks to get the heads together and come up with something!!

NUSC could become a good supporters' club, I just don't see any evidence of them doing so, or even trying to at present. As for the their anti-Ashley campaign, well the first thing you have to do if you're going to criticise someone's running of their organisation is to make sure that you don't do the exact same thing with yours, they don't seem to see the irony in that, let alone the hypocrisy.

Won't deny its had "teething" problems but was always going to considering it was formed on the back of the Keegan dismissal and feelings among fans running high,  this forum has been critical of NUSC for its hardline approach whereas i've read things on the chronicle forum and people on there are giving it a hardtime for not been hard enough!!

I still believe its got a big future,  whatever criticisms people on here have its growing daily, if you believe True Faith it already  the largest and fastest growing independent correctly convened club supporters association in the UK(not sure what they mean by correctly convened mind),  there's already as far as i'm aware plans for it to become a supporters trust which would be a good move and give it more power and credence.

I can't remember exactly what was said to be honest,  Colin Whittle proposed it at the first (and only!!) members meeting mpnths ago and it was voted through with a huge majority,  i think he'd looked into starting one when there was the save our seats carry on years ago.  The one thing that has stuck in head though is that if it gets trust status it can get government funding, but again i'm not sure how that would work.

You see that's one of the main problems with NUSC, it's all about "how can we get bigger, how can we get more members and more publicity?" and very little about "why do we exist, what are we about, what are we trying to say and how can we serve our members' interests?". It just seems like one huge vanity project for its leadership built on the back of the current unrest amongst the fans.

If you want, you can include something that has made Ashley's departure more likely as one of your "positive" things, you still won't find anything.

Whatever your view on Ashley, NUSC has achieved nothing, other than self-publicity.

Here you go then, what have they achieved for supporters of Newcastle United in their 6 months of existance? And don't bullshit with the "stewards" crap because they had sod all to do with that, and the 2 fans who were arrested at the boro, well its hardly made a huge impact on the 40,000 others who regularly attend matches. Have they had a go at Newcastle United for changing their number from an 0191 number to an 0845 one? NOPE. Have they asked Newcastle United to justify the prices in the kiosks at the ground, sodding nearly £2 for a bottle of coke, over £3 for a pint? NOPE. Have they done anything other than have a go at Ashley and Llambias? NOPE!

You never know they club might reduce their kiosk prices as a result of the boycott!!!!

I can't really see them having a word in Ashleys ear about that really.  i'd love to hear that conversation...

" hi mike, i know we are boycotting your drinks and food in the ground but don't suppose you would mind reducing the price a bit,  a few of the fans not boycotting are moaning that £3 a pint is too much"

Doubt it, cos no-one is really boycotting the food and drink in the ground tbh.

Well, you should be, remember you're making good progress!

Guest toonlass

I didn't mean me, like. I am taking the car on sunday so shall be limiting myself to a bovril.

I didn't mean me, like. I am taking the car on sunday so shall be limiting myself to a bovril.

Mmmmmmmmm, meaty goodness. :smitten:

Guest toonlass

Mmmmmmmmm, meaty goodness. :smitten:

plus not many calories and trace saturated fat, yummy tastic!

No it is not strange, what's strange is when a supporters' club does nothing else, but that. That's generally referred to as a one-issue protest group.

But they're not simply an Anti-Ashley group. They've offered to work with the current regime on plenty of issues, they don't spend their entire time producing 'Ashley Out' banners. The question has been asked as to what have they done? Well not much so far, they're still a group in their infancy. If fans such as yourself got behind them and the momentum continued whereby they could claim to speak for thousands of fans then they could hopefully have more influence.

Instead of sniping at them from the sidelines why don't you go to a meeting or offer your help to the committee? Your ideas as to what NUSC's aims should be aren't necessarily wrong but I think it would be a lot more useful if you put your thoughts to NUSC directly.

But they're not simply an Anti-Ashley group. They've offered to work with the current regime on plenty of issues, they don't spend their entire time producing 'Ashley Out' banners. The question has been asked as to what have they done? Well not much so far, they're still a group in their infancy. If fans such as yourself got behind them and the momentum continued whereby they could claim to speak for thousands of fans then they could hopefully have more influence.

Instead of sniping at them from the sidelines why don't you go to a meeting or offer your help to the committee? Your ideas as to what NUSC's aims should be aren't necessarily wrong but I think it would be a lot more useful if you put your thoughts to NUSC directly.

I'd like to but I'd be tempted to charge £10 a head for the privelege.

The thing is dare I say it, with regards to gaining the approval and acceptance of the majority of our support, Toon Ultras are in a better position. Media wise, it's the total opposite.

By pointing this out, what I actually mean is that supporters support, therefore to support supporting is always going to go down alot better with fans rather than telling them to boycott products and get "their fucking heads checked" when they buy a pie at half time.

NUSC are very one dimensional in their approach at the moment, and don't seem to be willing to budge from what I have heard. It appears to me that they are on some sort of mission to get exactly what they as a team want rather than voicing the opinions of the majority of the Newcastle support. For a group with so many older, more experienced and possibly wiser men and women leading it then they are proving to be very naive in their approach.

If this was a bunch of 17 or 18 year olds doing the same thing then they would be slaughtered for it, but because they are the main media outlets for "fans" then they get away with it.

This rally is actually beginning to piss me off the more I talk about it...

That old chestnut again.

It's like a fucking cult!! "So, you disagree with everything we say, why not come along anyway and we'll re-educate you err... listen to what you've got to say, why not try the drink this drink and join us on our trip to a new home in the Sun?"

I don't generally join groups who don't stand for anything I agree with and have no intention of listening to my point of view, who in fact probably regard me as a traitor to the cause and hate my guts. Until NUSC shows that it has even the slightest intention of developing into something more than an Ashley Out protest group, I'm not even considering joining. I'm afraid they'll have to make those first few steps without my input. :lol:

It's a ridiculous suggestion that those who oppose NUSC should join it, why do people keep making it? Why would I possibly want those idiots to have more influence?

Perhaps Gordon Brown should try that tactic at PMQs: "So David, you disagree with what I've said? Why not join the Labour party and put your thoughts to the government directly? Only ten quid and you get a free key-ring!!11 What do you say?"

Anyway, there remains the fact that they're doing a really shit job of running their club, how do their members feel about the fact that they've had only one real meeting in six months and that they still haven't told anyone what their rally is for? If I was a member then I'd be seriously pissed at what bad value for money I was getting.

The thing is dare I say it, with regards to gaining the approval and acceptance of the majority of our support, Toon Ultras are in a better position. Media wise, it's the total opposite.

By pointing this out, what I actually mean is that supporters support, therefore to support supporting is always going to go down alot better with fans rather than telling them to boycott products and get "their fucking heads checked" when they buy a pie at half time.

NUSC are very one dimensional in their approach at the moment, and don't seem to be willing to budge from what I have heard. It appears to me that they are on some sort of mission to get exactly what they as a team want rather than voicing the opinions of the majority of the Newcastle support. For a group with so many older, more experienced and possibly wiser men and women leading it then they are proving to be very naive in their approach.

If this was a bunch of 17 or 18 year olds doing the same thing then they would be slaughtered for it, but because they are the main media outlets for "fans" then they get away with it.

This rally is actually beginning to piss me off the more I talk about it...

He's got a good point.

That old chestnut again.

It's like a fucking cult!! "So, you disagree with everything we say, why not come along anyway and we'll re-educate you err... listen to what you've got to say, why not try the drink this drink and join us on our trip to a new home in the Sun?"

I don't generally join groups who don't stand for anything I agree with and have no intention of listening to my point of view, who in fact probably regard me as a traitor to the cause and hate my guts. Until NUSC shows that it has even the slightest intention of developing into something more than an Ashley Out protest group, I'm not even considering joining. I'm afraid they'll have to make those first few steps without my input. :lol:

It's a ridiculous suggestion that those who oppose NUSC should join it, why do people keep making it? Why would I possibly want those idiots to have more influence?

Perhaps Gordon Brown should try that tactic at PMQs: "So David, you disagree with what I've said? Why not join the Labour party and put your thoughts to the government directly? Only ten quid and you get a free key-ring!!11 What do you say?"

Anyway, there remains the fact that they're doing a really shit job of running their club, how do their members feel about the fact that they've had only one real meeting in six months and that they still haven't told anyone what their rally is for? If I was a member then I'd be seriously pissed at what bad value for money I was getting.

So you admit that you're willing to do fuck all then? You're not willing to try and influence them and you're content to sit on your arse while knocking others who are trying to do something. Fair enough then. While there is a lot I see wrong with how NUSC have behaved thus far, I see it as an opportunity to finally get a supporters' group together who may have a decent voice and I'm willing to give them a chance to prove themselves.

You say your point of view wouldn't be listened to by NUSC, how the fuck do you know? You haven't tried. So sit behind your computer and snipe from the sidelines if that's what makes you happy but until you've tried to do something useful with your criticism I think it's a bit pathetic.

That old chestnut again.

It's like a f***ing cult!! "So, you disagree with everything we say, why not come along anyway and we'll re-educate you err... listen to what you've got to say, why not try the drink this drink and join us on our trip to a new home in the Sun?"

Anyway, there remains the fact that they're doing a really s*** job of running their club, how do their members feel about the fact that they've had only one real meeting in six months and that they still haven't told anyone what their rally is for? If I was a member then I'd be seriously pissed at what bad value for money I was getting.

So you admit that you're willing to do f*** all then? You're not willing to try and influence them and you're content to sit on your arse while knocking others who are trying to do something. Fair enough then. While there is a lot I see wrong with how NUSC have behaved thus far, I see it as an opportunity to finally get a supporters' group together who may have a decent voice and I'm willing to give them a chance to prove themselves.

You say your point of view wouldn't be listened to by NUSC, how the f*** do you know? You haven't tried. So sit behind your computer and snipe from the sidelines if that's what makes you happy but until you've tried to do something useful with your criticism I think it's a bit pathetic.

Go to the meeting, people have tried to get there points across but are ignored by the remove Ashley brigade. Doesn't exactly encourage others to go and join the group especially when you have to pay.

Guest toonlass

That old chestnut again.

So you admit that you're willing to do fuck all then? You're not willing to try and influence them and you're content to sit on your arse while knocking others who are trying to do something. Fair enough then. While there is a lot I see wrong with how NUSC have behaved thus far, I see it as an opportunity to finally get a supporters' group together who may have a decent voice and I'm willing to give them a chance to prove themselves.

You say your point of view wouldn't be listened to by NUSC, how the fuck do you know? You haven't tried. So sit behind your computer and snipe from the sidelines if that's what makes you happy but until you've tried to do something useful with your criticism I think it's a bit pathetic.

I am not willing to pay £10 for the privilige of being ignored. I have sent emails to NUSC (and to other sources when I got no reply from NUSC) about why I think they do not represent me as a fan. They still haven't update their website to say what this rally is about, and despite being able to immediately get media coverage when they are slating Newcastle's running, cannot get anything into the local press to tell fans what the rally is aiming to do and how. Smacks of hypocracy, accusing the football club of a lack of communication, when they are guilty of the very same thing.

Did you go to (listen to) the last meeting? Anyone who didn't say "Ashley out" was vitually ignored. A lad with some extremely good points spoke and the commitee just rushed on to the next person. The NUSC have less chance of getting a meeting with Ashley and Llambias while they keep sniping at them. It took the Toon Ultras a couple of years of trying to work with Newcastle United to get a meeting arranged. Why do the NUSC feel that they have a god given right to speak to Ashley and Llambias on behalf of the fans (a lot of whome feel that they are not representitive of their views) after six months of slagging off the newcastle united hierarchy?

That old chestnut again.

It's like a f***ing cult!! "So, you disagree with everything we say, why not come along anyway and we'll re-educate you err... listen to what you've got to say, why not try the drink this drink and join us on our trip to a new home in the Sun?"

Anyway, there remains the fact that they're doing a really s*** job of running their club, how do their members feel about the fact that they've had only one real meeting in six months and that they still haven't told anyone what their rally is for? If I was a member then I'd be seriously pissed at what bad value for money I was getting.

So you admit that you're willing to do f*** all then? You're not willing to try and influence them and you're content to sit on your arse while knocking others who are trying to do something. Fair enough then. While there is a lot I see wrong with how NUSC have behaved thus far, I see it as an opportunity to finally get a supporters' group together who may have a decent voice and I'm willing to give them a chance to prove themselves.

You say your point of view wouldn't be listened to by NUSC, how the f*** do you know? You haven't tried. So sit behind your computer and snipe from the sidelines if that's what makes you happy but until you've tried to do something useful with your criticism I think it's a bit pathetic.

So what have YOU said at the meetings thats changed the collective mindset then?

Anybody who takes the time to set up a supporters club must realistically have the best interests of the club at heart. It certainly seems perfectly straight forward to me, that they, and many others, are fed up with the current state of affairs at SJP and they want this to be known... I also think that it is fair that they should have someone to listen to their opinions as they represent a certain "mindset" of support.

I think that their final objective is not to get Ashley out (perhaps it is? perhaps it would be better...or worse?) but at least to portray their views about how the club should interact with the fans and about knowing their objectives for the club. It worries them that they know next to nothing about the real aims of Ashley &co and judging on past actions it is obvious to most that they are not in the interests of NUFC. N.B. Derek's sounbytes don't satisfy this requirement!! (poor show from local rags aswell!!)

I also think that giving ultimatums and "stirring" things up will not better the current situation but in fact deteriorate it. I would be all for presenting signed petitions and serving question and answer documents for a means to find out what is really going on. A fan survey outside SJP with at least 10.000 opinions would certainly clear the air. I would also use the press to forward this and to get into the public eye rather than grouping the fans to shout and vent their frustrations in a "vgilantesque" setting..

Rant over...

Jesus! How hard is it for the thou shalt do join NUSC or burn in the pits of hell brigade to grasp the really rather simple concept that, yes i will do fuck all to try and help a group whose goals, objectives and methods i oppose! It's exactly that kind of ignorant & arrogant attitude that's a large part of the problem with NUSC. At present NUSC is not a supporters' club if it becomes one i may consider joining but until then i am not going to give them any support or money for the reasons i've already said

Completely agree. If there were a significant number of people who attended the meetings and made their feelings known then their position wouldn't be a minority would it. NUSC have gone with what most attendees feel; I can't see how on earth they can be criticised for that.