NUSC - Good or Bad?

indi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh look! NE5 has finally noticed the global recession!

i dont think the global recession has had that  much effect on our position.....except ashley couldn't find a buyer

It's also had a big effect on Ashley's personal fortune and his other businesses.

it has but ashley said he would put 20mil a year in before the crunch hit and it seems thats what he's doing.

Since he put £100M in after buying the club, is that supposed to cover the first five years of his ownership?

i dont think the global recession has had that  much effect on our position.....except ashley couldn't find a buyer

It's also had a big effect on Ashley's personal fortune and his other businesses.

it has but ashley said he would put 20mil a year in before the crunch hit and it seems thats what he's doing.

Since he put £100M in after buying the club, is that supposed to cover the first five years of his ownership?

no. it means he's put in more than he said so more evidence that the credit crunch hasn't really affected his running of nufc so far.

And that HASN'T affected our position ? What if a new owner had installed a really good manager and bought some decent players in Jan ?

Also, wait until you see the take-up of season tickets next season before you claim that the Recession hasn't had an effect on NUFC...you may get a nasty surprise .

And that HASN'T affected our position ? What if a new owner had installed a really good manager and bought some decent players in Jan ?

Also, wait until you see the take-up of season tickets next season before you claim that the Recession hasn't had an effect on NUFC...you may get a nasty surprise .

i did say "except ashley couldn't find a buyer" and in my next post i did put a time marker on it by saying "so far"

Just how many Ashlies post on that blog?

Are you oppugning my punnery?

I was. ;)

I am concerned that the use of "-ies" instead of the proper "-'s" to signify ownership, may lead to a whole host of mumpsimuses.

Guest fading star

It's more support than protest if you ask me.

it was always going to be, just people on here who had the fixation with a protest despite over 2 weeks when it was announced and stressed that it wouldn't be a protest but we still get 2 or 3 threads 18-20 pages long talking about a protest that was never going to happen!!

Did you listen to the meeting? They spoke about it there.

i was at the meeting, i know what was said, i also posted the minutes of the meeting that went in the Times Newspaper when it states that NUSC are emphasising RALLY not PROTEST.

fwiw i think the events on Sunday could backfire on NUSC as i can't see that many people turning up, apathy is rife among toon fans and there's too many fans who will be more than happy to be getting a few pints down their necks and will stay in the pub.

There must have been at least two hundred people at the public meeting, and they’ll all be in town on Sunday. Most of them are going to turn up. Then there’s another 400 or so NUSC members who didn’t make the last meeting, a fair few of them are likely to want to see what they‘ve invested £10 in. Add in other supporters who make a detour on the way to the match to check out the action, and the passers by who invariably stop to gander at any meeting at the monument. Too many people turning up might more of a concern.

Guest Brummiemag

Can some people still not see that Mike Ashley is determined to recoup every penny he has invested?

I've been out tonight with a Man U season ticket holder (who knows his futty and respects newcastle fans) 2 blue noses, 3 villa fans, a wolves fan. and 3 newcastle fans and they all think Ashley is the worst owner in the Premier league. They all without exception think the only reason he's still there is because he cant sell up at a price which will recoup his outlay.

Not one person thinks he has the interests of the club at heart.

My mates are not idiots, they are intelligent football fans!

Please convince me they are all wrong?

An independent supporters club like NUSC is definitely a good thing in my opinion.

Credit to Tom and all the others who have put a lot of hard work into setting this up. Im sure there will be setbacks and mistakes made along the way, (which no doubt will be quickly picked up by some people on his forum) but in the longer term this will be a useful vehicle for raising issues and voicing concerns from ordinary fans.

4 more small but significant examples of the contempt with which Mike Ashley treats the fans, which I will be raising with NUSC

- changing the phone number to a premium rate number

- no indication given any more of how long the wait will be on the phone

- taking up smaller allocations at away matches

- sending tickets out by 2nd class post which has meant I have had to go to the box office at  Arsenal, West Ham and Hull this season to collect the tickets

All these penny pinching changes, which may seem trivial to some, mean more revenue for Ashley and more expense and inconvenience for the ordinary supporters and its indicative of his attitude towards the supporters.

Its quite clear to me that he's reducing the debt ready to sell. One minute he's trying to sell and couldnt sell for the price he wanted and the next minute he's talking about a 5 year plan, its laughable.  He intends to recoup every penny he's invested or as much as he possibly can. He doesnt want to be here, he will be off at the first opportunity. Lets hope we're not in Championship by then.   

The reason they take smaller allocations is because some teams have a policy that if you take a higher allocation and can't sell the tickets then you have to pay for them anyway, most clubs do this and Niall Quinn even came out and appologised over taking a reduced allocation for their game against Arsenal because he wasn't sure they could sell the extra tickets.

Guest thenorthumbrian

it was always going to be, just people on here who had the fixation with a protest despite over 2 weeks when it was announced and stressed that it wouldn't be a protest but we still get 2 or 3 threads 18-20 pages long talking about a protest that was never going to happen!!

i was at the meeting, i know what was said, i also posted the minutes of the meeting that went in the Times Newspaper when it states that NUSC are emphasising RALLY not PROTEST.

fwiw i think the events on Sunday could backfire on NUSC as i can't see that many people turning up, apathy is rife among toon fans and there's too many fans who will be more than happy to be getting a few pints down their necks and will stay in the pub.

There must have been at least two hundred people at the public meeting, and theyll all be in town on Sunday. Most of them are going to turn up. Then theres another 400 or so NUSC members who didnt make the last meeting, a fair few of them are likely to want to see what theyve invested £10 in. Add in other supporters who make a detour on the way to the match to check out the action, and the passers by who invariably stop to gander at any meeting at the monument. Too many people turning up might more of a concern.

Despite what some people on this forum think or hope, the NUSC is made up of a lot of committed long term Newcastle United fans and is here to say for the long term.

There must have been at least two hundred people at the public meeting, and they?ll all be in town on Sunday. Most of them are going to turn up. Then there?s another 400 or so NUSC members who didn?t make the last meeting, a fair few of them are likely to want to see what they?ve invested £10 in. Add in other supporters who make a detour on the way to the match to check out the action, and the passers by who invariably stop to gander at any meeting at the monument. Too many people turning up might more of a concern.

Despite what some people on this forum think or hope, the NUSC is made up of a lot of committed long term Newcastle United fans and is here to say for the long term.

Here to say what?

There must have been at least two hundred people at the public meeting, and they?ll all be in town on Sunday. Most of them are going to turn up. Then there?s another 400 or so NUSC members who didn?t make the last meeting, a fair few of them are likely to want to see what they?ve invested £10 in. Add in other supporters who make a detour on the way to the match to check out the action, and the passers by who invariably stop to gander at any meeting at the monument. Too many people turning up might more of a concern.

Here to say what?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Here to say what?

think he meant here to stay.

Here to say what?

most people with half a brain would realise that.  bluelaugh.gif

Here to say what?

Gosh, really?

Whilst I believe that NUSC face an almost impossible task if their aim is to force change at the club, I think it is a good thing, overall, that they exist as a pressure group.

Having dumb apathy among fans is just as bad as having a silent cartel between political parties(which is what I believe to be the case in many western countries today, esp the UK) ; the status quo will just continue and there is no pressure on the people in charge to change anything for the benefit of their customers(voters).

In the case of politics, the voters do have options if they disagree with the situation, and they have the necessary skills, because they can leave/emigrate , but in  the case of football fans, they will either just put up with it or stop going, so having a well-organized pressure group is good, but it will only work if the people they are targeting can see a real threat behind their rhetoric i.e., big bucks or high-profile supporters like the Press.

It remains to be seen just how effective NUSC will prove to be, but, as Voltaire said,'I may not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it'...something our dear politicians should remember when they are trying to stifle criticism...

Here to say what?

Gosh, really?

don't dish out the one liners when you clearly can't take it ozzie lad.

Have you decided what your opinion is on the merits of appointing a manager who has won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards yet ? Or are you sticking with your man Mike and Joe Kinnear ?

Firstly, I apologise for reverting back to the thing I always do, and that's the Toon Ultras...

Secondly, I think it's vital for any form of new supporters group to be genuine and open minded in their approach, especially if they want to grow (which pretty much every group will want to do). I personally believe that Toon Ultras as a group, when it started out, was very ignorant and stubborn in its approach (probably due to its overwhleming amount of young members). However, we as agroup have became far more open-minded and taken on board various opinions and have managed to grow even if it is only by a little bit. I also believe that despite it only growing slightly it has now been accepted by the majority of Newcastle Fans who know of its existence.

On the other hand, you have NUSC - who are equally as ignorant and stubborn in their approach. This is something I don't mind, as like I say the group I get involved with most was in a similar position. The difference being, like mentioned in previous posts, we were and are a bunch of inexperienced young lads, looking to do something positive, and our goal has never really moved or changed - we still intend to Bring Back The Noise. The NUSC is a bunch of experienced, respectable older blokes, who are far more knowledgeable and wiser than alot of our members and they are aiming for something which is arguably far more negative.

Now this isn't the problem, but rather the name of their group is (haven't we heard this old debate before)..the Toon Ultras actually can claim to putting a non-hooliganesque spin on the name, as an Ultra is just someone who claims to be fanatical about something. Newcastle United Supporters Club is a bit more rigid and will always be interpreted as the main group listening to the vast majority of supporters and claiming to represent the majority....even though it currently isn't.

If it were to grow it would need to take a less stubborn approach, and it would also need to stop asking members to pay to join. What the f*** do they actually do with the money? Make Anti-Ashley banners? Why the f*** can they not make some pro-Newcastle ones too if this is the case? If not where does this money go?

I don't have anything against anyone who is anti-ashley, I don't really have any complaints in fans voicing their views to the club, it's all about timing though. Now is not the time and to answer someones question earlier in the thread - no, Mike Ashley is definately not the main issue at this club at present, staying the Premiership is. Anyone, in my opinion, who can't see this is a bit of a mongoloid....I think some people (not all) would rather we went down and got rid of Ashley than we stayed up and he stayed.

I can understand Dave and more people need to turn up and voice opposing views or pose questions about there other aims and goals. However, in the mean time I think it's down to the NUSC to promote a more democratic outlook, which would be more appealing to potential members. Until they speak to the supporters, they will be limited.

Finally, I just want to re-ittirate my annoyance about how these as a group have managed to come under far less scrutiny than the Toon Ultras, and I feel rather annoyed by the constant portrayal that us Newcastle Fans are all Ashley hating savages who are on one mission and that's to get rid of Big Mike. We are passionate about our club, and what is best for it. What is best for it is staying up. Anti-Ashley rallys certaintly aren't best for it, backing the boys on the pitch is something that could significantly help.

best thing the toon ultras can do is to join the NUSC, get the best of both worlds,  the extra clout and influence that NUSC can only be good in spreading the message that the toon ultras are trying to portray.  Heza don't believe most of this thread as its based on blinkered opinions and not showing a true reflection on the NUSC from the 3 meetings i have been to. 

Aye, I agree, I am just uncertain as to whether they would be open to this idea and I wonder how it would work...

I have a sneaking suspicion that they would see it as them doing us a massive favour rather than it being reciprocal, but that's just an assumption. It would be best for a few lads from Toon Ultras to go to the next meeting though....

We have tried to invite people from the Toon Ultras along to have a chat with the committee on several occassions. I know that Malcolm has tried phoning or e-mailing Ultras people but has had no response. Several of us have posted on the Ultras forum, but unfortunately the responses have been insulting and negative.

There's no hidden agenda about it, no thought about NUSC doing the Ultras a favour, or vice versa. In fact we'd be doing each other a favour, because both groups want what's best for the club.

Believe me, we are VERY much open to the idea.