Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton - 22/02/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

Harper has done a great job  ......  to lost the possession :celb:

http://www.hknewcastle.com/image/private/harper.jpghttp://www.hknewcastle.com/image/private/vds.jpg

Fantastic diagram.

It's clear Harps needs to play it to his defence as Van Der Saar only has 5 passes which went over the halfway line, as opposed to ALL of Harps'.

Random Harper tit bit. At a talk in last year he was asked what had changed in his game since KK came back and he said he played out of goal in 5-a-sides much more, practised throwing to the full-backs more and worked on his first touch more. Said KK was all about building from the back and that Harper was instructed to stop kicking it long all the time, to throw it out more or roll it to one of the defenders. KK would get pissed with him or Shay if they didn't follow those instructions. It has always bugged me why 'keepers just kick it forward when 9 times out of 10 you will give it to the opposition. I would fine my 'keepers if they kicked it long unless they had no choice but to put a boot through it.

I thought Harper was a big improvement over Shay in his distribution first game back in the side, but he seems to be reverting to the big hoof gradually. Maybe Kinnear doesn't like to see his keepers fannying around throwing the ball and Hughton is following like a sheep.

Guest Nufc4Life

http://www.hknewcastle.com/image/private/harper.jpghttp://www.hknewcastle.com/image/private/vds.jpg

Fantastic diagram.

It's clear Harps needs to play it to his defence as Van Der Saar only has 5 passes which went over the halfway line, as opposed to ALL of Harps'.

Fantastic apart from the fact they got the Man U/Everton score wrong!  :doh:

Guest timmy boy

Surely Everton will of been sitting a lot deeper v Man U as well because Man U will have had the majority of possession. So their wouldn't of been as much pressure on the back four and they would be able to pick it up off VDS quite comfortably.

Guest Howaythetoon

Random Harper tit bit. At a talk in last year he was asked what had changed in his game since KK came back and he said he played out of goal in 5-a-sides much more, practised throwing to the full-backs more and worked on his first touch more. Said KK was all about building from the back and that Harper was instructed to stop kicking it long all the time, to throw it out more or roll it to one of the defenders. KK would get pissed with him or Shay if they didn't follow those instructions. It has always bugged me why 'keepers just kick it forward when 9 times out of 10 you will give it to the opposition. I would fine my 'keepers if they kicked it long unless they had no choice but to put a boot through it.

I thought Harper was a big improvement over Shay in his distribution first game back in the side, but he seems to be reverting to the big hoof gradually. Maybe Kinnear doesn't like to see his keepers fannying around throwing the ball and Hughton is following like a sheep.

Kinnear done away with the 5-a-side games and admitted he focuses more on defensive work with the team before handing them to the fitness staff. I guarantee they will rarely if at all practice pass and move or touch and control. They will play games but they will be 8-a-side games or 11-a-side games at 10, 15, 20 minutes at most.

Kinnear done away with the 5-a-side games and admitted he focuses more on defensive work with the team before handing them to the fitness staff. I guarantee they will rarely if at all practice pass and move or touch and control. They will play games but they will be 8-a-side games or 11-a-side games at 10, 15, 20 minutes at most.

Stop-gap tactic s from a stop-gap manager which is fair enough I suppose.

Surely Everton will of been sitting a lot deeper v Man U as well because Man U will have had the majority of possession. So their wouldn't of been as much pressure on the back four and they would be able to pick it up off VDS quite comfortably.

What a load of bollocks, surely.

Can't see why you're saying that. Man U are a lot better than us at playing the ball through the midfield, and so any opposing team is going to be a lot more wary of pressing them.

Fantastic diagram.

Fantastic apart from the fact they got the Man U/Everton score wrong!  :doh:

It's WestHam vs. ManU so the score is correct  O0

Can't see why you're saying that. Man U are a lot better than us at playing the ball through the midfield, and so any opposing team is going to be a lot more wary of pressing them.

:lol: it's because Man U played West Ham and not Everton  :laugh2:

just being a pedant tbh

Guest timmy boy

Obviously team's would be more wary of pressing Man U, as you say they are a million times better at ball retention and opening teams up then us. That's why I said the opposing team would sit a lot deeper against them then they would against 10 men of us. Hence more time for their back four to collect the ball from VDS as their would be less pressure on their defence. According to that diagram he's played it to one of his defenders more than 10 times where as Harper hasn't picked out one of our back four once.

Obviously team's would be more wary of pressing Man U, as you say they are a million times better at ball retention and opening teams up then us. That's why I said the opposing team would sit a lot deeper against them then they would against 10 men of us. Hence more time for their back four to collect the ball from VDS as their would be less pressure on their defence. According to that diagram he's played it to one of his defenders more than 10 times where as Harper hasn't picked out one of our back four once.

Sorry, it might not have been clear - I was agreeing with your basic point and disagreeing with TMU.

good footballing teams should look to get the full backs wide every time the keeper has the ball so he can throw it out to them and start from there imo. its just fucking pointless hoofing it up to our front line, the irony is martins is the best of the lot in the air and he's a dwarf.

and regarding the team selection, absolutely no excuse for starting duff over jonas, pathetic.

Guest battyleespeed

good footballing teams should look to get the full backs wide every time the keeper has the ball so he can throw it out to them and start from there imo. its just f***ing pointless hoofing it up to our front line, the irony is martins is the best of the lot in the air and he's a dwarf.

and regarding the team selection, absolutely no excuse for starting duff over jonas, pathetic.

That's a very basic part of football (fullbacks going wide when keeper has the ball). It's just keeper can't always play it to the fullbacks because they are being marked too closely or aren't good at playing from the back. The problem with Taylor and Enrique is that they aren't exactly the most composed fullbacks.

good footballing teams should look to get the full backs wide every time the keeper has the ball so he can throw it out to them and start from there imo. its just f***ing pointless hoofing it up to our front line, the irony is martins is the best of the lot in the air and he's a dwarf.

That's a very basic part of football (fullbacks going wide when keeper has the ball). It's just keeper can't always play it to the fullbacks because they are being marked too closely or aren't good at playing from the back. The problem with Taylor and Enrique is that they aren't exactly the most composed fullbacks.

indeed it is basic, thats why we should do it, if the full backs are too tightly marked then that leaves space in behind the players that are marking them

indeed it is basic, thats why we should do it, if the full backs are too tightly marked then that leaves space in behind the players that are marking them

This is why we need someone witha  brain as our holding midfielder.  If Butt dropped off from cm and went back got the ball and could actually pass we'd keep possesion for more than 5 secondws.  I pray for the day we see a decent dm.

Guest battyleespeed

The more i look at the Nolan vs Anichebe incident im starting to think, would Nolan really have hit his leg if Anichebe wouldnt have thrown himself into the takle?

Looks more like Nolan had "finished" his tackle when Anichebe jumps more or less in to it in a way.

How do you think he is going to get the ball with a move like that (both feet in and studs up)? There is no way you go in like that unless you want to take out the guy who is coming for the ball.

The right way would had been to slide in for the ball because all Anichebe could do there was to jab it forward with a sliding lunge seeing that he was losing he ball already because of heavy touch. Slide tackle would had at least prevented Anichebe jabbing the ball forward and with any luck allowed Nolan to come out with the ball. Instead he decided to jump up and come down with two feet. 

Guest battyleespeed

This is why we need someone witha  brain as our holding midfielder.  If Butt dropped off from cm and went back got the ball and could actually pass we'd keep possesion for more than 5 secondws.  I pray for the day we see a decent dm.

It's also an basic move but even more risky because you have oppositions forwards pressing and someone would quite likely follow from midfield and put the CM under pressure right away. The keeper should have absolute faith that he won't easily lose possession and will play the ball forwards rather than backpass under pressure (Butt tends to do that rather than turn and look for options). I don't think Given or Harper have ever trusted the outfield players or even their own ball playing skills that much.

Guest battyleespeed

As i said earlier, that tackle was a survivor of the fittest tackle, both men just threw them self in to get the most out of it.

That's rubbish. Nolan lost it for only reasons known to himself and took the guy out in Keane style. It wasn't an wholehearted tackle within the rules of the game.

I see Everton had their annual shitter. It's just a shame this time we weren't good enough to take advantage, mind you that wasn't helped by Nolan's sending off, silly boy.

Our weakness was set-pieces, Everton's was the time and space they gave us on the ball. Still the best chance of the match fell to Lovenkrands. He really should of scored, I really shouldn't make excuses for him but Howard closed the angle down well. I still think five games down the line with some match practice under his belt he would of buried it.

Apart from that it was dreadful footballing spectacle, particularly in the second half.

We should have won this match.

Fullstop.

Another chance wasted, forget who we were playing. We had a CLEAR chance to score & a player sent off when we were clearly playing well.

Lets see if we appreciate 1 point after we play liverpool united and chelsea & the teams around us all move upwards.

How are they going to move upwards?  Are the league giving out free points or something?

Blackburn can win games

Stoke have a new scorer in Beattie whos already getting goals

Tottenham always have the ability to win

Portsmouth are on the back of their first win and a decent draw in a long while

Hull beat us in carling cup with a reserve side out

A lot of the teams around us could move up if youre living in reality.

However if you feel safer deluding yourself feel happy to.

Feeble reasoning that though isn't it?  Just because its possible for them to win doesn't mean they will.  We recently went on a run of gaining only 1 point in 5 games, we started that run 2 points off the bottom three and finished it one point off.  The teams you mentioned just aren't gaining points consistently enough to assume they'll gain on us significantly even if we lost three in a row.  But if it makes you feel better to wallow in panic and self pitty be my guest, just don't get mixed up on who's deluding themselves.

we're now 2 points off 2nd bottom with 3 of our next 4 games against Man united, Chelsea & Arsenal.

Id just like to take this moment, to show you how right i was & how very deluded you were.

:smug: :clap:

We should have won this match.

Fullstop.

Another chance wasted, forget who we were playing. We had a CLEAR chance to score & a player sent off when we were clearly playing well.

Lets see if we appreciate 1 point after we play liverpool united and chelsea & the teams around us all move upwards.

How are they going to move upwards?  Are the league giving out free points or something?

Blackburn can win games

Stoke have a new scorer in Beattie whos already getting goals

Tottenham always have the ability to win

Portsmouth are on the back of their first win and a decent draw in a long while

Hull beat us in carling cup with a reserve side out

A lot of the teams around us could move up if youre living in reality.

However if you feel safer deluding yourself feel happy to.

Feeble reasoning that though isn't it?  Just because its possible for them to win doesn't mean they will.  We recently went on a run of gaining only 1 point in 5 games, we started that run 2 points off the bottom three and finished it one point off.  The teams you mentioned just aren't gaining points consistently enough to assume they'll gain on us significantly even if we lost three in a row.  But if it makes you feel better to wallow in panic and self pitty be my guest, just don't get mixed up on who's deluding themselves.

we're now 2 points off 2nd bottom with 3 of our next 4 games against Man united, Chelsea & Arsenal.

Id just like to take this moment, to show you how right i was & how very deluded you were.

:smug: :clap:

One of the worst types of poster a forum can have.

:chomp: