Newcastle United reveal season ticket price cuts

Tooj

From True Faith

You Just Don't Get It!   

Season Ticket Reductions - comment

Well, I'm not about to start complaining that reducing exorbitantly priced season tickets is a bad thing at Newcastle United, given we have paid over the knock for years but if Ashley thinks this is enough to keep supporters onside, he is more out of touch than we thought.

If you are in the unfortunate position of having lost your job in the current recession, any season ticket reduction is meaningless really given a "luxury" (ha-ha-ha) item like a season ticket will be chucked in whatever side of £500 the price is on as people get their priorities in order - put food on the table and keep a roof over your head.

If Ashley is bricking it about a meltdown in the summer over season ticket renewals then he has completely failed to grasp what the current disaffection amongst supporters is all about. Let's just summarise what it is;

a. a complete lack of ambition at NUFC

b. no confidence in anyone in any position of authority at NUFC - Ashley, Llambias, Wise or Kinnear.

c. no confidence in the management structure which is proven to be a failure in the English Premier League

d. suspiscion at Ashley's motives for buying NUFC and a cynicism regarding his plan for the club is little more than cost-cutting to put the club in a more saleable position whilst the club's revenue is used to reduce the debt and he is in a position to make millions from a future sale whilst the club stagnates at best.

e. a lack of respect for the supporters of Newcastle United, the city and the NE region manifested in nothing other than the most cursory of communications with the club's stakeholders.

This reduction might make life easier for some supporters, which is clearly welcome, but of the many contacts there have been to true faith regarding season ticket renewals, no-one has mentioned cost per se - though plenty have referred to what is being done to hollow the club out.

If they think this is enough to persuade thousands of Mags from walking away from an Ashley-owned Newcastle United then they have their heads up their arses.

All the usual drivel we've come to expect from true sh*t dot com and as ever no suggestion of WHO they want instead of Ashley.

I for one can't wait until the moaning b@stards just stop threatening to walk away and ACTUALLY do it.

The club may be worse off but SJP will be a far better place when the moaners piss off and leave 40K real fans who support the club and team and not the owner.

Enjoy your Saurday/Sundays at the Metro Centre/Kingston Park/Stadium of Light or wherever you decide to go next lads.

I hate True Faith now, used to think it was a decent fanzine now it's the same old rubbish.  I always thought the whole point of supporting your team was to support them through thick and thin regardless of who's playing or in charge, obviously they don't.

Guest toonlass

I hate True Faith now, used to think it was a decent fanzine now it's the same old rubbish.  I always thought the whole point of supporting your team was to support them through thick and thin regardless of who's playing or in charge, obviously they don't.

Maybe True Faith do support the team, but don't support the management and hierarchy at Newcastle?

Regardless of what you think of the fanzine I don't get how you can say they obviously don't support the team?  Why because they are critical of the shambles of whats going on?  That does not make them any less of a supporter...

Maybe True Faith do support the team, but don't support the management and hierarchy at Newcastle?

They seem to be indirectly trying to convince people to give up their season tickets (IMO of course) and they obviously have a lot of influence.

True Faith clearly support the club, they just don't think sitting on your hands while some jumped up pricks with little or no previous interest in the game of football come in here and ruin the club.

From True Faith

You Just Don't Get It!   

Well, I'm not about to start complaining that reducing exorbitantly priced season tickets is a bad thing at Newcastle United, given we have paid over the knock for years but if Ashley thinks this is enough to keep supporters onside, he is more out of touch than we thought.

If you are in the unfortunate position of having lost your job in the current recession, any season ticket reduction is meaningless really given a "luxury" (ha-ha-ha) item like a season ticket will be chucked in whatever side of £500 the price is on as people get their priorities in order - put food on the table and keep a roof over your head.

If Ashley is bricking it about a meltdown in the summer over season ticket renewals then he has completely failed to grasp what the current disaffection amongst supporters is all about. Let's just summarise what it is;

b. no confidence in anyone in any position of authority at NUFC - Ashley, Llambias, Wise or Kinnear.

c. no confidence in the management structure which is proven to be a failure in the English Premier League

d. suspiscion at Ashley's motives for buying NUFC and a cynicism regarding his plan for the club is little more than cost-cutting to put the club in a more saleable position whilst the club's revenue is used to reduce the debt and he is in a position to make millions from a future sale whilst the club stagnates at best.

e. a lack of respect for the supporters of Newcastle United, the city and the NE region manifested in nothing other than the most cursory of communications with the club's stakeholders.

This reduction might make life easier for some supporters, which is clearly welcome, but of the many contacts there have been to true faith regarding season ticket renewals, no-one has mentioned cost per se - though plenty have referred to what is being done to hollow the club out.

If they think this is enough to persuade thousands of Mags from walking away from an Ashley-owned Newcastle United then they have their heads up their arses.

All the usual drivel we've come to expect from true sh*t dot com and as ever no suggestion of WHO they want instead of Ashley.

I for one can't wait until the moaning b@stards just stop threatening to walk away and ACTUALLY do it.

The club may be worse off but SJP will be a far better place when the moaners piss off and leave 40K real fans who support the club and team and not the owner.

Enjoy your Saurday/Sundays at the Metro Centre/Kingston Park/Stadium of Light or wherever you decide to go next lads.

How can you love the club and not care how it is run?  Not care where we are heading? 

I would support the club whatever division we are in, but personally believe with our support we deserve top level football at the very least, we have always been an ambitious club.  5th biggest club in England aren't we?  We are underperforming and for most people it is obvious where we could improve upon - manager remains unsolved and concerned with some stuff we have seen with the guys upstairs.

That statement made valid points and you dismissed it because it's anti-Ashley.  I noticed you couldn't argue against the points made by them though.  Basically your saying we can't critise anything we don't like, as it's not 'supporting' the team.

Guest toonlass

They seem to be indirectly trying to convince people to give up their season tickets (IMO of course) and they obviously have a lot of influence.

They are pointing out that a lot of supporters have written to them saying they are giving up their tickets. They are pointing out what is actually happening. Surely a fanzine does not have the power to MAKE people give up their season tickets?

Regardless of what you think of the fanzine I don't get how you can say they obviously don't support the team?  Why because they are critical of the shambles of whats going on?  That does not make them any less of a supporter...

Giving up your season ticket will of course be a kick in the teeth for Ashley but it also means less support of the team.  I don't think the True Faith lads are going to give up but some of the stuff they are writing seems to be trying to convince everyone else to do so.

Guest toonlass

Giving up your season ticket will of course be a kick in the teeth for Ashley but it also means less support of the team.  I don't think the True Faith lads are going to give up but some of the stuff they are writing seems to be trying to convince everyone else to do so.

They are reflecting what is actually happening. Fans are walking away. They are reporting on this. They are allowed their opinion on Mike Ashley and the way he runs the club, and if they feel that he is damaging it then they have the right to say that. No-one is going to give up their season ticket based on what a fanzine says, but many people have said that they are jacking it in. They will have written to True Faith as a voice to get their displeasure across, seeing that the hierarchy at the club takes not a blind bit of notice of what individual supporters say. True Faith and The Mag are telling it like it is; a lot of supporters who are damn well sick of being kicked in the teeth.

Giving up your season ticket will of course be a kick in the teeth for Ashley but it also means less support of the team.  I don't think the True Faith lads are going to give up but some of the stuff they are writing seems to be trying to convince everyone else to do so.

I don't think TF are advocating that anyone give up their season ticket, they're simply calling it how they and many others see it.

Supporters who give up their season ticket this year aren't any less fans than those who don't. The situation is dire despite what some people on here believe and people who are sick of sitting through shit and entitled to throw in the towel.

Problem with them and others (.com, The Mag etc) is they start off as well intended ordinary supporters, but always seem to get carried away with their own importance and get right up their own @rses, eventually feeling they've got to spout their politics to the rest of us like the editorial column of some right wing tabloid.

Its rubbish like this though:

"Well, I'm not about to start complaining that reducing exorbitantly priced season tickets is a bad thing at Newcastle United, given we have paid over the knock for years but if Ashley thinks this is enough to keep supporters onside, he is more out of touch than we thought. "

Who the **** is saying Ashley thinks this enough, he has said investment will be made in the summer (whether this happens is another thing) so he clearly is thinking about other things than season ticket prices.  It's all conjecture basically to put a negative spin on what is a positive move by the club.

"Well, I'm not about to start complaining that reducing exorbitantly priced season tickets is a bad thing at Newcastle United, given we have paid over the knock for years but if Ashley thinks this is enough to keep supporters onside, he is more out of touch than we thought. "

Who the **** is saying Ashley thinks this enough, he has said investment will be made in the summer (whether this happens is another thing) so he clearly is thinking about other things than season ticket prices.  It's all conjecture basically to put a negative spin on what is a positive move by the club.

Read the quote again.  He is not complaining he says that more needs to be done besides a little price cut to win over supporters which is very true, he didn't mention transfers.  If Ashley spends in the summer - it would help.  If he doesn't - the reduction in season tickets would have done no good.  What is wrong about that?

Read the quote again.  He is not complaining he says that more needs to be done besides a little price cut to win over supporters which is very true, he didn't mention transfers.  If Ashley spends in the summer - it would help.  If he doesn't - the reduction in season tickets would have done no good.  What is wrong about that?

It's the wording though, surely something like this would be better:

NUFC announced a reduction in season ticket prices, which despite other notable off field problems is a positive step.  However without further investment on playing staff and more signs of ambition this move will be redundant.

Obviously I'm not a writer  :laugh2:, but those are the same facts reported in a different light.

The are pointing out that the reasons fans will not renew next year are not for purely financial ones.  A lot of fans have lost hope and have no belief in the regime.  This is what the club does not seem to understand.  Actions are needed by the club not hollow words.  Getting a good manager in would be a start and although I appreciate that it is not appropriate for them to talk about that until the end of the season, I think talking up JFK like Llambias did in yesterday's interview, will just alienate more supporters.

One of the main points is that fans are almost being threatened - sign up before May or you could lose your seat. That's blackmail.

Many fans may want to wait until the end of May to see if we go down or wait even later to see if we make any real progress this summer. If we do get relegated (God forbid) those who signed up early for fear of losing their seat will have arguably the most expensive season tickets in the Championship.

Guest toonlass

Firstly, you have to remember that this is 1 blokes opinion. The editor of True Faith. He is not claiming to speak on behalf of anyone but himself.

Secondly, what is wrong with the bit in bold? All that is being said is that IF Ashley thinks a 9% reduction is going to make everything ok with the supporters then he hasn't got a clue. The editor has said that the reduction in price is good, but is implying that more needs to be done, something I think a lot of supporters agree with.

Who the **** is saying Ashley thinks this enough, he has said investment will be made in the summer (whether this happens is another thing) so he clearly is thinking about other things than season ticket prices.  It's all conjecture basically to put a negative spin on what is a positive move by the club.

It's the wording though, surely something like this would be better:

NUFC announced a reduction in season ticket prices, which despite other notable off field problems is a positive step.  However without further investment on playing staff and more signs of ambition this move will be redundant.

Obviously I'm not a writer  :laugh2:, but those are the same facts reported in a different light.

Splitting hairs. There's nowt wrong with the way it was originally wrote.

If people don't want to go then don't, it really is as simple as that.

Interesting that the big price drops are in the bar areas which seem to be where the majority of empty seats are, iirc it was them that was hit the hardest last summer.

Interesting that the big price drops are in the bar areas which seem to be where the majority of empty seats are, iirc it was them that was hit the hardest last summer.

and quite a lot of them won't. Doing well isn't he ?

From True Faith

You Just Don't Get It!   

I don;t doubt they are supporters, but I must agree with your first line here. They moaned and whinged on for ages about the last regime [like lots of others] and now they have someone else, they are still moaning and whinging on. People with experience that some of them think they had should have known better. Some of the writers also seem to think they are the only supporters of the club, and their "alternative view" ie like a student rag mag designed to shock, including the constant references to Joy Division and the Happy Mondays, is irritating.

I gave up buying it because I got bored with the same old moaning and probably won't buy it until it stops, even though - now - I agree with what they are moaning about.

The Mag beats it hands down. But the old Talk of the Tyne/Toon was the best fanzine until it went bust.

Sad to see the direction TF is taking. I enjoyed reading it and whilst it wasn't great from a journalism point of view they'd make some interesting comments and their views were worth reading.

At the moment though I rarely bother with TF. Same as .com, whom I only use these days to check stats and fixtures (and the odd bit of news during transfer windows).

and quite a lot of them won't. Doing well isn't he ?

No it hasn't been a good season, but I'm prepared to put up with the shit as I think turning the clubs finances around will benefit us in the long run, after all we've got one of the largest turnovers in English football so the logical opinion is that we should benefit more than most by having stable footings in place, apart from clubs like Man City who are being supported by Abu Dhabi.

If people want to jump ship because they don't want to watch the club while it's trying to be pulled around then thats up to them, i'm sure we will see them all again when it does get turned around.