The Typical Man United Fan

Heron

This is just silly. I know there are plenty of die hards out there, my brother being one of them. I'm also sure there are tons of NUFC fans that don't know about the club as much as you lot do.

The reason Man Utd have a lot of supporters is because they win a lot and get a lot of exposure. If someone's getting into football for the first time, there's a much bigger chance of them seeing Man Utd play than seeing Newcastle.

Just support who you want and don't hate because they win so much.

If I asked you who your favorite Primer club was you'd most likely say Valenca, Real, or Barca. How many Celta Vigo supporters are on here, or how many Chievo Verona (Seria A/B?) fans are on this board?

Theres a difference between who your favourite is, and who you support. Barca are my favourite La Liga team, because theyre class. I dont support them though.

You support either the team where you live, or who your family does is the way I see it. Its not like its politics and you're having a way of life upon you, every team has the same policy: Win.

Well there goes half our fan base. I'm from Southall so my favorite team should be Southall or Northolt? I live in New York so I shouldn't like NUFC, I should like the bloody Metrostars or whatever they're called. I'd like to see what happens to you when you go to a game and tell a fan traveling a long way out to see the club play your silly philosophy.

This is just silly. I know there are plenty of die hards out there, my brother being one of them. I'm also sure there are tons of NUFC fans that don't know about the club as much as you lot do.

The reason Man Utd have a lot of supporters is because they win a lot and get a lot of exposure. If someone's getting into football for the first time, there's a much bigger chance of them seeing Man Utd play than seeing Newcastle.

If I asked you who your favorite Primer club was you'd most likely say Valenca, Real, or Barca. How many Celta Vigo supporters are on here, or how many Chievo Verona (Seria A/B?) fans are on this board?

My favorite Italian side is Parma and in La Liga I support Deportivo/Betis/Villarreal. Seriously.

In Serie A i follow Fiorentina/Parma/Sampdoria and Torino, while in the Spanish league i have to say my favourite would be Malaga/Mallorca/Espanyol/Deportivo and Valencia.

Guest toonlass

Amazing how many Manure fan's mams, dads, grannys etc were born in Manchester. Surely the explosion of population would have been noticed? However the Manure fans at Wembley seemed genuinely delighted to win yesterday.

You can support anyone you like as far as i'm concerned for whatever reason you want, i'm not really bothered.

However, don't support Manure when you live in a barn on the North Yorkshire Moors confused as to where and what old trafford is and then take the p!ss out of me for being a Newcastle supporter.

Amazing how many Manure fan's mams, dads, grannys etc were born in Manchester. Surely the explosion of population would have been noticed? However the Manure fans at Wembley seemed genuinely delighted to win yesterday.

Surely you've been to a match not involving your team before and been swept up in it when the team scores? I know I have with the Sheff Wed & Barnsley games I've been to.

I think that's what annoys me the most to be honest, having the piss taken out of me for supporting Newcastle. It's like calling someone 'four eyes' surely.

Guest diddimz

I'll admit, I'm a glory hunter, and I only support Newcastle for our extensive trophy cabinet, especially the recent Intertoto Cup, and for all the stability and success our club has had over the last couple of years.

Guest firetotheworks

Theres a difference between who your favourite is, and who you support. Barca are my favourite La Liga team, because theyre class. I dont support them though.

You support either the team where you live, or who your family does is the way I see it. Its not like its politics and you're having a way of life upon you, every team has the same policy: Win.

Well there goes half our fan base. I'm from Southall so my favorite team should be Southall or Northolt? I live in New York so I shouldn't like NUFC, I should like the bloody Metrostars or whatever they're called. I'd like to see what happens to you when you go to a game and tell a fan traveling a long way out to see the club play your silly philosophy.

Its hardly mine, its a lot of peoples point of view, and its one a agree with, although I should perhaps have made another point which would have made more sense too. As a third option, support who you want, but not because they're a team thats winning everything, pick who you like the look of basically. So out of curiosity why do you support Newcastle and not your local team?

Story is my mum was a big KK fan and where ever he went, she went so when I was three he was at NUFC and all she'd talk about was how KK had the best hair ever or something like that. Stupid reason I know.  :colo:

I seen a picture of that kid who stars in This Is England wearing a Man Utd top, yet when I seen him on Soccer AM quite some time ago he was wearing a Grimsby top.

Laughable.

In fairness I think he said something like Grimsby was his first team and Man Utd his second. not much harm in that but I get what you mean...

My god how embarrassing is this thread ffs :-[ Man United have the best away support in the business. Do you think they like seeing these idiots embarrassing their club. They hate them more than we do. Grow up

My god how embarrassing is this thread ffs :-[ Man United have the best away support in the business. Do you think they like seeing these idiots embarrassing their club. They hate them more than we do. Grow up

True - isn't that the reason why their away following don't wear colours as well? In saying that - it must be fairly easy being a Man United fan (and a die-hard at that) Many of them will have never known hard times following their club, and probably never will. In saying that, you could probably say the same of Liverpool, Arsenal and recent Chelsea (to an extent)

Guest Stephen927

Man United will absolutely rake it in from the number of overseas fans/glory hunters buying merchandise and flying over for games etc.

No matter how shit we are, we still seem to have a decent following overseas, which is great to see.

when i was on holiday last year i saw an irish guy in a man united shirt, a newcastle shirt and a sunderland shirt on 3 different days.

on the  note of supporting man united, i live in the south, and admit that i supported newcastle in the souness era because i liked the fact we had lots of english players and liked the stadium. i know a lot more about football now than then but thats not the point.

down here, the teams with a substantial following are as follows: chelsea (1st), liverpool and man united (equal second) and west ham from the chavs. (3rd). there are arsenal fans who keep very quiet. the local team is gillingham ive never met a gills fan in my life. millwall palace and charlton are the only other teams who could be classified as local. im not going to begrudge anyone supporting someone like fulham barsnely or watford from down here. however most chelsea fans have popped up recently, know next to nothing about the team, attended 1 or 2 games a season under mourinho and have now got bored, watch the game at the pub and wear their shirt a lot.

the reason is what? well its a middle class area and a lot of parents have very little interest in football, and wouldnt take kids to a game. kids influences are the TV and their friends and siblings. therefore when deciding on what team to support, very few are just going to decide on gillingham. most wouldnt have even heard of them! the rest are bandwagon fans. myself, if i want to go see a neutral game ill either go to craven cottage or gillingham.

when i was on holiday last year i saw an irish guy in a man united shirt, a newcastle shirt and a sunderland shirt on 3 different days.

on the  note of supporting man united, i live in the south, and admit that i supported newcastle in the souness era because i liked the fact we had lots of english players and liked the stadium. i know a lot more about football now than then but thats not the point.

down here, the teams with a substantial following are as follows: chelsea (1st), liverpool and man united (equal second) and west ham from the chavs. (3rd). there are arsenal fans who keep very quiet. the local team is gillingham ive never met a gills fan in my life. millwall palace and charlton are the only other teams who could be classified as local. im not going to begrudge anyone supporting someone like fulham barsnely or watford from down here. however most chelsea fans have popped up recently, know next to nothing about the team, attended 1 or 2 games a season under mourinho and have now got bored, watch the game at the pub and wear their shirt a lot.

the reason is what? well its a middle class area and a lot of parents have very little interest in football, and wouldnt take kids to a game. kids influences are the TV and their friends and siblings. therefore when deciding on what team to support, very few are just going to decide on gillingham. most wouldnt have even heard of them! the rest are bandwagon fans. myself, if i want to go see a neutral game ill either go to craven cottage or gillingham.

I think you mean Barnet.  :lol:

haha meant barnsley actually mate, but to be honest could be any team. basically meant im not going to begrudge someone from the south supporting somewhere miles away as long as its not man united liverpool chelsea arsenal etc.

Funny you mention Gillingham, mate because I grew up near there in Tonbridge, Kent. When I first started following football I was about 5 or 6 and that was around 1996. The first player I ever saw play on the tele was Alan Shearer. I dont know why, but when I saw him in that black and white strip I was hooked on Newcastle United from then on. Nuts about them. Shearer was my idol and still is, really. You could say he was the reason I started supporting the Toon but I wouldnt classify that as 'gloryhunting'.

I'd never heard of Gillingham before then so it was too late for my to start getting into them. My parents never influenced me to support any team so it was down to me (and look what I do...), I guess. Most of my mates in school supported Man Utd, Arsenal, West Ham or Millwall. I think there were a handful of Liverpool fans as well. But I've never met a Gills fan around Tonbridge....

I do feel a bit guilty from time to time about not supporting them, as I dont have any right to support Newcastle and should be supporting my local side.

I seen a picture of that kid who stars in This Is England wearing a Man Utd top, yet when I seen him on Soccer AM quite some time ago he was wearing a Grimsby top.

Laughable.

In fairness I think he said something like Grimsby was his first team and Man Utd his second. not much harm in that but I get what you mean...

It's more embarrassing supporting Grimsby than having two teams, surely?

D'oh, I really should have stayed out of this thread :(

Strange that Man U don't really have that big of a following here in Sweden, at least not compared to the other "big 4", from what I can tell. Liverpool are streets ahead of any club other club, Arsenal second, Chelsea third and Man U fourth I'd say. They are all cunts though, everyone has some stupid excuse to support them to get away from being just a glory hunter, usually it's like "my father's a Liverpool fan, so I am too" (that just makes the cunts father a glory hunter) or "I went to see them when I was a kid, so I've kept on supporting them" (really strange that it just happened to be Scouseville you went to, and that once you were there, you just ended up at Anfield instead of Goodison you twat).

Funny you mention Gillingham, mate because I grew up near there in Tonbridge, Kent. When I first started following football I was about 5 or 6 and that was around 1996. The first player I ever saw play on the tele was Alan Shearer. I dont know why, but when I saw him in that black and white strip I was hooked on Newcastle United from then on. Nuts about them. Shearer was my idol and still is, really. You could say he was the reason I started supporting the Toon but I wouldnt classify that as 'gloryhunting'.

I'd never heard of Gillingham before then so it was too late for my to start getting into them. My parents never influenced me to support any team so it was down to me (and look what I do...), I guess. Most of my mates in school supported Man Utd, Arsenal, West Ham or Millwall. I think there were a handful of Liverpool fans as well. But I've never met a Gills fan around Tonbridge....

I do feel a bit guilty from time to time about not supporting them, as I dont have any right to support Newcastle and should be supporting my local side.

Got nothing on Liverpool's contingent in my experience. I'm annoyed just thinking about them.

A lot of people think that if they support Liverpool their not 'gloryhunters', just because Liverpool dont dominate the PL like Man Utd. Bollocks.

Most of my mates are Liverpool "fans". Drives me mad, like. :rolleyes: