Would it be treachery to start supporting another, slightly more local, team?

GM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I was just wondering if I was to start going regularly to watch a more local team (here in Edinburgh) would that mean I was effectively a low-life turncoat piece of shit?  :kasper:

Guest Stephen927

I've been thinking about going to see Blyth Spartans play.

Can't see the point in going to games and buying official merchandise when it only goes towards overpaid footballers who for the most part look like they don't give a toss.

Can't see the point in going to games and buying official merchandise when it only goes towards overpaid footballers who for the most part look like they don't give a toss.

:clap: You see, that for me is a very big part of it, for sure.

But I'm also developing a liking for maroon.  :blush:

Guest Stephen927

For me they have the best job in the world and they can't be arsed to put their foot in or run about for 90 minutes every week. You look at someone like Lampard or Terry who held out for £120,000 a week instead of £90,000... where's the sense in it, it's not as though you can go out and spend that much a week, and just a year into the contract you're set for life... it's crazy.

Guest Stephen927

Even if a player scored a hat trick a game, do they really do enough to earn that much money? All they really do is kick a ball around, it's an obscene amount of money for what they do.

Just remember where the jam tarts money is going too.

Even if a player scored a hat trick a game, do they really do enough to earn that much money? All they really do is kick a ball around, it's an obscene amount of money for what they do.

They get paid based on what clubs are willing to pay them. Have you seen the bonus these banking bosses get?

Especially if it was Hibs.

:lol: NEVER!!!

Hence why I said:

...I'm also developing a liking for maroon.  :blush:

EDIT: I should add that any "supporting" of another team would only be done on the basis of the wife (i.e. The Toon) never actually finding out...

My local team are currently sitting on top of the Bundesliga.

A few years ago I tried going to their matches, and though I enjoyed the company of the crowd that I went with, I found it impossible to care very much whether the team won or lost. That made for painless defeats but also for joyless victories.

I don't think it's treachery, though, to watch a team that plays in a different league than the Toon.

I have a colleague in London who moved there from Manchester, and as a result stopped supporting Man U and started supporting Arsenal. Couldn't get my brain around that one at all.

I've also got a friend, these days working as a football journalist in Italy, who grew up in Burnley and then did his reporter's training at Thomson House in Newcastle. He couldn't bear to watch Newcastle, as we weren't Burnley, so every Saturday he used to go up to Edinburgh to watch Hibs. Mad, but I understood that one better.

Guest Stephen927

They get paid based on what clubs are willing to pay them. Have you seen the bonus these banking bosses get?

I know, and it's going to get even more crazy in the summer with Man City chucking money around at players who otherwise wouldn't give a toss about playing for them.

No club in the top flight can really afford to put in a wage cap otherwise they'll get left behind... somethings got to come to a head, if players wages keep going up then it'll effect the fans and in the current economic climate then surely it's only a matter of time before people stop going.. then who pays for the obscene wages.

Can't wait until a few top flight clubs implode, just hope it isn't NUFC.  :undecided:

I've been thinking about going to see Blyth Spartans play.

Frying pan/fire.

Blue Star is a pretty soulless experience with a hundred people rattling around KP. You're better off just groundhopping- if you've got a free saturday just pick a local game that takes your fancy.