U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Last night was a bit dull, though I did spend the first half sitting next to Wille Donachie  :lol: He hardly spoke, so didn't learn much. Was going to ask him about coaching, but thought it wasn't the time or the place. 'Teeth' was present, as were two other stalker mongs, that seemingly Donachie found amusing with their stalker tales about how every player had a different hairstyle.

Terry McDermott was in attendance, watching from the upstairs Club House.

Liverpool's #10 was fun to watch, great at finding space, scored a fantastic goal, but didn't do much else. Big things are expected from him, and could be one of the last legacies Rafa leaves Liverpool with - which wouldn't be bad at all if he pans out.

Sol Campbell seemed to be confusing his own defence, rather than helping it, with his constant chatter and commands throughout the 60 minutes he was on. Grieve fell over after ever challenge on the ground and in the air, and for somone so tall. Could be a prime example of bigger children dominating at Youth Level, than falling on their arse at senior level against taller/physical opposition. Saying that, he was mainly marking N'gog who wasn't very imposing at all.

Dummett was unlucky to score the own goal, however saying that if he had been tighter marking the player would never have had the chance to turn him inside out and get a shot off in the area.

Soderberg did OK, a few 'moments' aside where he seemingly couldn't catch the ball.

Do you mean Michael Ngoo? N'gog wasn't playing.

Ngoo had a great game got some energy that lad, was not over impressed by Ince or Suso.. he did scored a  screamer but did not look like a grafter... that Wisdom looked good though.. big powerful and very quick.

Guest geoffasenna

I saw the teeth girl yesterday near the metro station. shame she didnt go on the road, i could have wiped her out with my front wing and bonnet

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Do you mean Michael Ngoo? N'gog wasn't playing.

Aye, sorry, N'gooooooooooo.

I tried to look for you Greg, but failed. Where were you at?!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

U18s v West Brom

11am

Academy

Their opponents are West Bromwich Albion and the game at Little Benton Academy is an 11am kickoff.

United name the following squad: Alnwick, Nicholson, Toland, J.Henderson, Folan, Sayer, Page, Nzuzi,  Richardson, D.Taylor, McGorrigan, Maddison, J.Smith, Logan, Knight, Baird.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Newcastle U18s 1 - 1 WBA U18s

Dan Taylor

---------------------Alnwick-----------------

-----------------------------------------------

Nicholson--Henderson--Folan--Toland

Logan----Sayer----Richardson----Nzuzi

-----------Taylor---McGorrigan------------

Subs: Storey (GK), Page, Knight, McCrudden

Newcastle lined up in a 4-4-2, which at times seemed to switch into a 4-4-2 Diamond, with Ben Sayer sitting deep and Michael Richardson pushing forward and getting into the area a number of times. The match itself ticked over nicely, with a fine layer of water from the brief, but heavy showers, helping the ball (and the odd tackle) zip along the surface.

Dan Taylor was fantastic up front as a targetman, winning countless headers, flick ons and holding the ball up well. His work rate and determination helped over look the fact he missed several chances. On another day he could have easily had a hattrick, however the referee's seemingly inconsistent interpretation of what was and wasn't a 50/50 tussle or a push in the back cost Taylor a fine goal. Along side him Ryan McGorrigan was ready and eager to chase every flick on from Dan Taylor, or from long through balls from midfield.

Most of Newcastle's play seemed to come from long balls from the back, or from through balls in the middle. Unsurprising considering the unfamaliar names playing on the flanks. Nzuzi often drifted inside, and the young Logan looked very uncomfortable on the right flank, several times missing good overlapping runs from his fullback Alex Nicholson.

The defence seemed sound throughout the game, with West Brom only getting three or four real chances that I can remember. One cracked off the bar, two required fantastic saves from Jak Alnwick, and the forth, deep into the second half, was eventually a goal. West Brom thought it was winner, and celebrated as such gathering in the corner flag. Despite words of caution from the WBA bench about the game not being over, Newcastle quickly replied with a goal.

McCrudden had came on for McGorrigan with about 15 mins to go and was quickly involved in the game, chasing on to a Dan Taylor flick on, taking one touch to control it, before hitting a left foot looping volley towards goal from just inside the area. The keeper made a fantastic save for a corner. Dan Taylor headed the corner towards goal from within the 6 yard box that squiremed under the WBA keeper for a very soft equaliser.

The only negatives from the match that I could see was a possible aggravation to Stephen Folan's knee injury.

Positives for me had to be Ben Sayer in the middle. He's very composed on the ball and seems to have a good eye for a pass, and the ability to make it. He kept things ticking over in midfield for 90 minutes, and wasn't afraid to put in some brave tackles either (despite his small size).

MON: Dan Taylor

I see Lua Lua scored for Brighton and a clean sheet for Fraser Forster.

Looking on their forums the Celtic fans seem to already want Forster on a permanent deal and the Brighton fans are giving LuaLua 9+ out of 10 for his last match.

Good start for the both of them.  Was it a season long loan for both of them?

I see Lua Lua scored for Brighton and a clean sheet for Fraser Forster.

Looking on their forums the Celtic fans seem to already want Forster on a permanent deal and the Brighton fans are giving LuaLua 9+ out of 10 for his last match.

Good start for the both of them.  Was it a season long loan for both of them?

Season long for Forseter, 4 months for Lua Lua

Guest geoffasenna

paddy van wont travel, as he was on the bench last night. im guessing it be a very youthful team they send out tonight, Borini upfront im guessing,  they have a very yound centre half too, so hopefully edmondsson should get the better of him in the air.