U23s & Academy

Skirge

James Tavernier right-back in contention for new deal

Dec 4 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE United believe talented youngster James Tavernier could be the long-term solution to the club’s right-back slot.

He is that good they are considering a new contract for the Bradford-born defender – who cites an unusual source as the primary reason behind his steep improvement over the last 12 months.

Tavernier said: “I would have to say Sol Campbell was one of the biggest influences on me.

“When you are working day in, day out with someone who has achieved everything that Sol did in the game, that is going to be a major, major plus for a young player.

“He would just give me little bits of advice and he was very approachable as a professional.

“With everything he had he done in the game – being one of the best defender’s in the world at one point – you just want to listen to him.”

First spotted by Glenn Roeder, Tavernier was taken from the Leeds Academy as a youngster.

He had been involved with the West Yorkshire club as a kid, but when his parents moved to the North East, it became impractical to keep travelling hundreds of miles to continue his football career.

With United desperate to get the quick, skilful youngster on their books, it proved a match made in heaven.

Not that he had been forgotten by those who used to work with him at Leeds – Carlisle boss Greg Abbott having moved heaven and earth to take him to Brunton Park recently.

He is now at Sheffield Wednesday, racking up more experience at a club where expectations of a promotion push are high.

Tavernier added: “The time at Carlisle was really helpful.

“Greg (Abbott) is a fantastic manager and a great coach – he taught me a lot.

“I think loan spells can only be beneficial. You learn a lot being in and around the coaching staff we have at Newcastle but playing in League One games is a few levels above reserve team football and it is a steep learning curve.”

When he returns from Hillsborough, Tavernier is targeting “progress” at St James’ Park.

That could mean another loan spell in the Championship, although the 20-year-old would love the opportunity to play more first-team football at Newcastle.

So far he has started two Carling Cup games for United.

He said: “It has been a fantastic experience to come to Newcastle United and I have learned so much since I have been here.

“I would say the aim this year is just to progress.

“Of course I would love to play for Newcastle, but if that means another loan spell I am fine with that.

“The manager (Alan Pardew) has shown he is not afraid to give young players a chance and that is a big encouragement.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/2011/12/04/james-tavernier-right-back-in-contention-for-new-deal-79310-29890444/

Pards just on Goals on Sunday saying 'we've had a bit of bad news with one of our acadmey lads'.

Wassat?

Anybody?

Maybe this from .cock?

"Louis Storey's Youth Cup Pen Pics"

Lee Toland

It's very sad what's happened in the last few days, with him suffering a family bereavement, and my condolences go out to him and his family.