U23s & Academy

Skirge

GEORDIE boy Adam Campbell is hoping to seize his big opportunity with Newcastle United as he bids to live the dream in black-and-white.

The lightning-quick striker has made rapid progress through the Magpies’ Academy ranks and is now staking his claims in the reserve team, hoping to use Sammy Ameobi as inspiration for his first-team ambitions.

Campbell, who has scored five goals in 11 Academy games this term, and has scored goals galore in the club’s youth system, made his second-string bow for Willie Donachie’s reserves in the 3-0 loss at the Stadium of Light, and was unlucky not to mark it with a goal after Trevor Carson somehow kept out his powerful header.

Still just 16, level-headed Campbell knows that there is plenty of hard work ahead, but his genuine love and devotion to the Magpies can only hold him in great stead.

Campbell told the Chronicle: “I have seen what Sammy has achieved – I have trained with him quite a bit and he’s now up there in the first-team squad.

“Hopefully I can be the next one to follow.”

The young Mags may not have picked up the result they wanted at Sunderland as Ryan Noble’s hat-trick proved the difference between the two sides.

But Campbell looked at the positives.

He said: “It was a very good experience for me.

“I dreamt of the day I would walk out and take on Sunderland, it wasn’t the exact dream I had because we didn’t beat them.

“I still enjoyed the experience. Hopefully it will help me get prepared for bigger matches in the future.

“Nothing is bigger than a North East derby, but to think of that in front of a huge crowd makes me feel I want to do it more often.

“It was a huge buzz. If I wasn’t playing the other night I would have been in the stand with them.

“It’s just an honour for them to come and cheer me on and the rest of the lads, you just want to win for them.”

Campbell is another product of Wallsend Boys’ Club, but has spent nine seasons within Toon youth ranks.

The player won the Most Valuable Player at the Manchester United Premier Cup World Finals in the summer of 2010, an award won by both Carlos Tevez and Fernando Torres in the past.

And Campbell appreciates his surroundings at his boyhood heroes.

He said: “It’s surreal and a dream come true.

“Hopefully I keep on pressing and get my first-team appearance.

“I’ve been at the Academy nine seasons now, my mam keeps joking I will get a testimonial!

“But I love it. I had a season ticket for six years.

“Then I couldn’t go to every game because I was playing for the Academy.

“In my time I have been to an unbelievable amount of away games.

“I just love following Newcastle, it’s my team.

“It’s a great club to be at too.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/11/19/adam-campbell-hoping-to-seize-opportunity-72703-29803435/2/#ixzz1e9sB2kSQ

Still eager to see which lucky teams will get Vuckic, Abied and Ferguson.

They won't be loaned out.

Just read Pardew's comments, why the hell not, surley not point in keeping them behinds the likes of Perch and Smith when they could be playing regular football elsewhere.