Renaming St James' Park

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

The graph (turned sideways) looks like my opinion on this. Flipping the bird. No-way would I want it to happen.

Talk about selling your soul. No f*cking chance, stadiums with sh*te sponsor names are just one of many things wrong with modern football.

Modern 'football' stinks. If, however many years down the line, renaming the stadium (therefore receiving substantial sponsorship money) is what needs to happen to keep up with the rest... then it needs to happen. I'm not really talking about it from a positive perspective, like i say, it reeks - the money obsession merely inflates the prices of all things in the game.

For instance, i wouldn't particularly want a scoreboard but if getting one means a few more bob in the transfer bucket then go for it. I'd hate for us to ever end up with a sponsor on the back of the shirt, but again... if it needs to happen to keep up with the rest, then we're helpless to avoid it (hopefully it'll never come to stuff like that, but a few lower division clubs have done so).

This is the game we're gonna have to get used to now unfortunately. :undecided:

personally id be disgusted if we were renamed the northern rock or whatever. maybe a good compromise would be renaming it "Carling St James Park" or equivalent because then it will still be SJP but signs and stuff will be different. a bit like "The FA Cup sponsored by E-on" I dont have that much beef with, but the "E-on cup" would piss me off. on another note, i find it bizarre that a compnay caled kingston communications has sponsored hull city's stadium, yet everyone including the media calls it the "KC stadium"

It ain't going to happen. There aren't enough local companies with the kind of national or international reach who'd benefit from such expensive publicity -- Sage already have a concert hall, Northern Rock already have the shirt and are anyway in trouble. The Gregg's Stadium? Can't see it. This kind of money is in any case going to become more and more difficult to access as the recession deepens. Companies have better things to spend their money on. And the kind of sportswear companies that depend on marketing -- Adidas or whatever -- are unlikely to be interested in strugglers like us.

It ain't going to happen. There aren't enough local companies with the kind of national or international reach who'd benefit from such expensive publicity -- Sage already have a concert hall, Northern Rock already have the shirt and are anyway in trouble. The Gregg's Stadium? Can't see it. This kind of money is in any case going to become more and more difficult to access as the recession deepens. Companies have better things to spend their money on. And the kind of sportswear companies that depend on marketing -- Adidas or whatever -- are unlikely to be interested in strugglers like us.

Nah, it'd be Steak Bake Park

Elsewhere on here there is post that has link to a story about 20 clubs in the PL/FLC could be looking for shirt sponsorship, F1 teams have saw a huge drop in sponsors with mega wonga & the Toon have a stash of empty corporate boxes,  so finding a company willing to put the cash up may prove hard.

However they may have to offer this as part of sponsorship deal with shirt sponsorship next time around to try & get the same amount of money NR stumped up. It would be a massive PR blunder as most of us Newcastle fans run on emotion rather than "good business".

Rename it, people will still always call it St James' and even with "The Emirates" it rarely gets called thatt and there is loads of added, wanted revenue!!

Huh?  It rarely gets called 'the emirates'?

By Fans

It doesn't have any other name except "The Emirates".

Ashburton grove?

Fuck off man the Arabs have not spunked millions on a 15 year naming rights deal for the likes of you to use the grounds original name. Looking at Wiki some people call it "The Grove" but as most of us know there is only one Grove as being on holiday & meeting a pling from another part of the country often results in them asking us to say a phrase that has Grove in it, I have yet to see a Gooner fan get asked to say Grove. Word is UEFA call it the Arsenal Stadium for CL games.

Rename it, people will still always call it St James' and even with "The Emirates" it rarely gets called thatt and there is loads of added, wanted revenue!!

Huh?  It rarely gets called 'the emirates'?

By Fans

Almost exclusively call it the Emirates in my experiences there.

Maybe it could be named 'The Sugar Puff Bowl' in memory of KK's famous TV ad which reduced the population of Wearside to eating Shredded Wheat(or anything bar Sugar Puffs!)after seeing a B&W shirt on the Honey Monster....

A NUFC fan actually suggested this for the SOS when the Mackems were asking their fans to come up with a name for their new stadium - this was live on a Radio Newcastle forum show..!

I am not sure why but I was thinking of this today and I wonder what peoples attitude would be if a major sponsor actually made their way in the the clubs name a'la PSV Eindhoven or Bayer Leverkusen. Not sure an established club could ever change/amend their name for the sake of a sponsor but in this new age of "money talks" etc... who knows ?