Renaming St James' Park

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're a club in major financial trouble, struggling to survive in the Premiership and faced with the possibility of our better players (Owen.. maybe Bassong) leaving at the end of this season, meaning the probability of us getting relegated next season is even more likely. So with no money to spend, costs still need cutting, if the board decided to sell the rights to name the stadium to a company for the next 5-10 years to the tune of £5m per year, how would you feel about this? Arsenal's naming rights gives them about £7m per year for the next 15 years. That's an astounding £100m over the life of the contract. The Premiership is ever more money-oriented and we are abso-fucking-lutely desperate for money to spend on new players. If we could get some money, however much, to spend on new players this upcoming transfer window and the one after, would this be enough to persuade you to accept corporate sponsorship of St James'?

Or do you think that tradition is tradition, that St James' has had its name ever since it was built and as its as much a part of the club as any other element, it should be protected on principle?

I initially leant towards the latter view but when you see the American sports model and how, in the end, it benefits the club and franchise, I know I'll get over it if St James' was renamed. My view is it'll always be known as St James' anyway, in the same way as the Leazes is the Leazes and the Gallowgate's the Gallowgate. It's not like Arsenal's stadium where The Emirates is its first name and might be the name that sticks. But, I also know that many other people feel differently so get on voting.

At this time we would be lucky to get 3million a season.  We should wait until we are in a better negotiating position after all we are in no rush for cash right?  When we are debt free

Rename it, people will still always call it St James' and even with "The Emirates" it rarely gets called thatt and there is loads of added, wanted revenue!!

Huh?  It rarely gets called 'the emirates'?

Naming a new stadium works OK (The Emirates, etc.) but changing the name of an existing stadium would be an exercise in futility, no one would call it by the new name unless they were forced to do so.

Three examples of clubs in the Premiership who sold the naming rights are Arsenal (Emirates), Wigan (JJB) and Bolton (Reebok). Wigan are apparently looking for a new sponsor.

Anyway, in America, Citi Field in New York (sponsored by Citigroup) will provide revenues of over £10m/year for the next 20 years.

Naming a new stadium works OK (The Emirates, etc.) but changing the name of an existing stadium would be an exercise in futility, no one would call it by the new name unless they were forced to do so.

That's true, so if we could get some money, wouldn't this be something that we should do? Given that it would basically free money since no one would call it by the new name anyway.

Guest DiegoNachos

It's an utterly disgraceful idea. We've been St. James for years. I mean I could be wrong with numbers but it's been like it is now for atleast 50 odd years. I'm a fond believer in if it's not broke don't fix it. The problems are not with our stadium. It's with the backroom and the numpties we've got running the show. Fixing them should be top priority.