Newcastle United 1 - 3 Arsenal - 21/03/09 - Post match reaction from page 16

Nate

Guest stankydanky

The injuries to Bassong and Taylor worry me more than the result. CB is the area of the field where you can't afford to be weak.

I think CM is the area where you can't be weak, we are and that's why we are in the position we're in.  The tracking back for Diaby's goal was woeful, especially considering one of our central defenders was off the pitch.

Hopefully the injuries to Bass and Tayls aren't too serious.

Martins a 5? He was a class above everyone else, with the exception of the penalty

Duff a 6? He spent the entire game seemingly thinking of new ways to give the ball away

Martins was good, but not near our best player. That has to be Løvendkrands or Saylor, hands down.

Duff did a good first half for his standards. A 6 is well deserved.

Did anyone else notice how much Nolan seemed to be argueing with Hughton today durring the 1st half? it seemed as though the lads were not playing to how Hughton and his clueless band of cunts wanted them too, is this the start pf the players seeing how inept there coaches are?  Even S Tayer at one point whilst over that side seemed to ignore what ever it was Hughton was saying to him.

Martins a 5? He was a class above everyone else, with the exception of the penalty

Duff a 6? He spent the entire game seemingly thinking of new ways to give the ball away

Martins was good, but not near our best player. That has to be Løvendkrands or Saylor, hands down.

taylor could've been sent off, two fairly stupid challenges on arshavin who he couldnt get near, who also beat him with ease on the way to that good long shot that hit the bar. he did have some excellent moments during the game but his performance wasn't unblemished.

I would say Duff was a 6.5 for his first half and a 3 for the second which gets him around 4.5 which sounds about right.

Reality check: We didn't come into this game expecting a win, did we?

We outplayed Arsenal in the first half, and should have had a couple goals to go with it. Cheer up a little.

Credit to Hughton and Co for growing the balls to go at them, now lets just make sure we do it against the teams which are around us.

Guest firetotheworks

Did anyone else notice how much Nolan seemed to be argueing with Hughton today durring the 1st half? it seemed as though the lads were not playing to how Hughton and his clueless band of c***s wanted them too, is this the start pf the players seeing how inept there coaches are?  Even S Tayer at one point whilst over that side seemed to ignore what ever it was Hughton was saying to him.

Interesting. Did you hear what was being said?

Did anyone else notice how much Nolan seemed to be argueing with Hughton today durring the 1st half? it seemed as though the lads were not playing to how Hughton and his clueless band of cunts wanted them too, is this the start pf the players seeing how inept there coaches are?  Even S Tayer at one point whilst over that side seemed to ignore what ever it was Hughton was saying to him.

Was probably telling him to stop hitting opposition players

Penalty miss aside? What the fuck. Martins is a striker its his job to score goals. I don't care how well he played the fact he missed a penalty, such an important penalty at that is massive. He can play as well as he wants but you can't miss such simple chances, that goal would of changed the game.

Penalty miss aside? What the fuck. Martins is a striker its his job to score goals. I don't care how well he played the fact he missed a penalty, such an important penalty at that is massive. He can play as well as he wants but you can't miss such simple chances, that goal would of changed the game.

I was thinking that until Michael Owen came on and moved across the pitch like he was wearing boots made of cement.

FYI Martins DID score by the way.

Just out of interest, did the ball actually go out of play in the period from Taylor getting injuried/being on the sidelines to Arsenal scoring?

The commentator on Setanta went on and on about not putting a sub on earlier, but can't remember if the ball went dead.

I thought Martins did OK - tried to make things happen, and he made a good contribution - penalty miss apart. As for Michael Owen - he has the look of a man who knows he is leaving and as a result, doesn't give a flying one. It's been that way with him since Christmas though. He's a passenger when he plays.

Also - just reading on Sky. Hughton has denied that Ashley went into the dressing room after the match to talk to the players. He also expects that no managerial change will be forthcoming and Kinnear will return.

Penalty miss aside? What the f***. Martins is a striker its his job to score goals. I don't care how well he played the fact he missed a penalty, such an important penalty at that is massive. He can play as well as he wants but you can't miss such simple chances, that goal would of changed the game.

I was thinking that until Michael Owen came on and moved across the pitch like he was wearing boots made of cement.

FYI Martins DID score by the way.

I know a five is harsh, I thought Martins and Lovenkrands were our most threatening players by a distance. His performance was roughly a seven for me but the fact he missed the penalty was massive. If he puts that away we're looking at a different game. You could tell the moment he stepped up he didn't fancy it and that alone for me some what negates any threat he posed throughtout the game. He put in a good shift but its just as important to take your chances when they come.

It's hard to describe especially as I'm a bit worse for wear but from the stands that penalty miss felt huge.