Ireland Internationals

Decky

We have the best squad in my lifetime and possible the best manager, I really can see us winning it.

It's certainly not the best squad.

This. Euro 96 was the best squad for me. I'm too young to remember Italia 90.

Best manager i've seen though.

I don't see why so many people are down on the quality of the English squad.

Two of the best CB's in the world, one of the best LB's, a RB who is really coming into his own.

Two of the best central midfielders in the world.

The question mark is the attacking and wide options, but with a spine of a team as good as they have they're a match for anyone. Combine that with a real winner in Capello and it's a pretty formidable prospect.

They'll not be pretty to watch, against the top sides, I expect it'll be a very defensive approach. Defend like mental, rely on the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney to make the most of the odd chance that they get on the break.

They'll basically be like a good Italian side, I reckon.

Basically, some people became so disillusioned and alienated from the national team when McClaren was in charge - that the apathy has spread to plain dislike from some people. Fortunately, for the fickle amongst us (like me), Capello's regenerated a bit of interest - but Blefuscu probably wants England to crash and burn as much as you do. That's what McClaren did though, tbf. Not to mention the fair crop of wankers in the squad.

I don't see how any football fan could NOT be interested in their national side. FFS they represent us in a global competition. Obviously they're not as close to our hearts because they place once every couple of months or somthing like that.

I'm very proud to be English, and even more proud to be Geordie.

Guest Heneage

Might have to change the username back...

You're taking me too literally Kezman, they're not gonna be a carbon copy of the current Italy team. Just the style of play will be similiar to your general good Italian side, and I think the results might be too.

Oh I know. I was more building on your theory saying that the players at Capello's disposal are similar to those that won the last World Cup with minor changes. Back then Italy were stronger at RB than LB but Grosso was coming into his own, the centre backs, one was cultured and composed (Cannavaro) the other was a tough tackler and brave (Matrix), then you had the cultured passer Pirlo who is like Lampard, then De Rossi is a bit more forward thinking and will do well from range like Gerrard. The only thing really missing is a traditional Right winger and a target man.

Guest Heneage

They'll basically be like a good Italian side, I reckon.

It's missing a Del Piero.

Wayne Rooney.

Nah. I see the thinking, but DP was an impact sub at WC.

Guest cfhpantera27

Good solid away performance from us tonight against the Czechs, even though there was nothin to play for. Davis and Johnston put in a good shift as always and McGinn was a breath of fresh air, with quite a few regulars out its good to finally see some young talented depth to the squad..

Bring on the Euros!  O0

Glad to see Rep of Ireland make the play-offs, hope they get through. No real suprises this group stage were they; arguably only the Czechs finishing behind both Slovakia and Slovenia.

France and Portugal not winning their groups was a surprise to me.

I really, really don't wanna get Portugal in the play-off.

If Cristiano Ronaldo costs me at least three days of getting absolutely hammered and shouting like a lunatic at the TV next summer, that'd be about the worst thing ever.

Glad to see Rep of Ireland make the play-offs, hope they get through. No real suprises this group stage were they; arguably only the Czechs finishing behind both Slovakia and Slovenia.

Croatia below Ukraine is a bit of a surprise, Croatia were good at the Euros and v unlucky to go out how they did.

How many first-timers do we have this time around? Only Slovakia? I guess Bahrain is a first timer too in the unlikely case they qualify.

Honduras?

Second time they do. But still a fresh face, and they are not shit.

If NZ make it, it'll be their 2nd time too.