Ireland Internationals

Decky

I thought Baba was 40 at least  :doh:

40‽‽‽ This is ridiculous :lol: Tbf though, I can't blame anyone for being fooled by my wise words.

Well, we were talking the other day about the Nigeria-Spain game in 1998, and I thought you would be of at least my age to remember that... so you were like 8?

Mind, I have fresh memories of some games from when I was that age too! (the European Cup final against Steaua  :no:)

I don't know about everyone else but I was much more into football when I was 6-12 than I am now. (was 8 during that WC) Before the whole "I would like to see naked women" instinct kicked in and I started taking school/music serious, football was my only interest. The noise in my house after the 3-2 goal against Spain was louder than in the stadium. On the same note, I was crushed when Denmark beat us.

I remember my dad getting a Ruud Gullit shirt in 1998 as well. He was estatic when NUFC hired him. He used to love the man (not so much anymore).

TBH i bet Irish football fans must be emmbarrased by this ,ffs its hardly as if there hasnt been contraversal moments in other games in World cups like when Maradonas hand of god goal and i cannot remember us getting all up a height asking for a replay but we just accepted it as these type of things happen and you get over it like they should .

If video technology was in place, Viduka's goal against Fulham may have stood and we'd have stayed up. So anyone who opposes video technology wants us in the Championship :pow:

Anyone who supports it wanted the mackems to do the double over us and still see us relegated.

Guest Roger Kint

If video technology was in place, Viduka's goal against Fulham may have stood and we'd have stayed up. So anyone who opposes video technology wants us in the Championship :pow:

Anyone who supports it wanted the mackems to do the double over us and still see us relegated.

:thup: ;D

Republic of Ireland World's Cup plea rejected by Fifa 

Fifa has said it will not create an extra place at next year's World Cup finals for the Republic of Ireland.

The Irish had asked to be allowed in as a 33rd team after losing in the play-off against France, who won the tie with a controversial handball goal.

Fifa official Jerome Valcke said if the structure was changed it could lead to other nations lodging protests.

Meanwhile, Ireland's assistant boss Liam Brady claimed that Sepp Blatter had become "an embarrassment to Fifa".

Brady was unhappy at Blatter's handling of the request that Fifa should allow the Irish to play at next year's finals in South Africa.

Fifa president Blatter mentioned the Football Association of Ireland's plea at a press conference and it was greeted with laughter in the hall.

"It was very disrespectful how he presented this fact," insisted Brady.

The Republic's request to be added to the 32 qualified teams is set to be officially rejected at Wednesday's Fifa executive committee emergency meeting in Cape Town.

The world governing body is being tipped to approve proposals to have five referees at every match in next summer's finals.

This would be in response to the Republic's controversial World Cup play-off exit when William Gallas scored a decisive goal for France despite a blatant handball by Thierry Henry.

Brady claimed the FAI, having already had calls for a replay rejected, had expected Fifa to consider the '33rd team' request in private.

He expressed dismay at the way Blatter had dealt with the saga since Giovanni Trapattoni's side were cruelly knocked out.

Explaining the decision to approach Fifa and ask to be included in the World Cup draw, Brady revealed the FAI knew the request was likely to be dismissed.

"When we asked for that we knew there was very little chance of that happening.

"We asked because we wanted to have them respond in a measured way, and see what they had to say.

"After all Mr Blatter was responsible for the (match) official.

"He didn't say anything about the appalling mistake the official made to miss a blatant handball."

Brady also praised the Republic team and supporters for keeping their cool after the misery of losing out to a goal which should have been disallowed, and said Fifa should have praised that sporting attitude.

"I think my country deserves more recognition from Blatter," Brady said.

"He has currently ignored most of the controversial things that went on that evening.

"He never had anything to say about that at all, like Henry's behaviour after scoring the goal and how that stands within his campaign to have fair play within the game.

"Henry celebrates as if he's done nothing wrong. Is that fair play? Hardly.

"But Mr Blatter chose to talk about the request to be considered as the 33rd team."

Following Brady's attack, Franz Beckenbauer told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Sepp Blatter is an excellent president. He speaks all the languages, he has all connections to even to the smallest federation. He is perfect for this job."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8388671.stm

Guest toonlass

Republic of Ireland World's Cup plea rejected by Fifa 

Fifa has said it will not create an extra place at next year's World Cup finals for the Republic of Ireland.

The Irish had asked to be allowed in as a 33rd team after losing in the play-off against France, who won the tie with a controversial handball goal.

Fifa official Jerome Valcke said if the structure was changed it could lead to other nations lodging protests.

Meanwhile, Ireland's assistant boss Liam Brady claimed that Sepp Blatter had become "an embarrassment to Fifa".

Brady was unhappy at Blatter's handling of the request that Fifa should allow the Irish to play at next year's finals in South Africa.

Fifa president Blatter mentioned the Football Association of Ireland's plea at a press conference and it was greeted with laughter in the hall.

"It was very disrespectful how he presented this fact," insisted Brady.

The Republic's request to be added to the 32 qualified teams is set to be officially rejected at Wednesday's Fifa executive committee emergency meeting in Cape Town.

The world governing body is being tipped to approve proposals to have five referees at every match in next summer's finals.

This would be in response to the Republic's controversial World Cup play-off exit when William Gallas scored a decisive goal for France despite a blatant handball by Thierry Henry.

Brady claimed the FAI, having already had calls for a replay rejected, had expected Fifa to consider the '33rd team' request in private.

He expressed dismay at the way Blatter had dealt with the saga since Giovanni Trapattoni's side were cruelly knocked out.

Explaining the decision to approach Fifa and ask to be included in the World Cup draw, Brady revealed the FAI knew the request was likely to be dismissed.

"When we asked for that we knew there was very little chance of that happening.

"We asked because we wanted to have them respond in a measured way, and see what they had to say.

"After all Mr Blatter was responsible for the (match) official.

"He didn't say anything about the appalling mistake the official made to miss a blatant handball."

Brady also praised the Republic team and supporters for keeping their cool after the misery of losing out to a goal which should have been disallowed, and said Fifa should have praised that sporting attitude.

"I think my country deserves more recognition from Blatter," Brady said.

"He has currently ignored most of the controversial things that went on that evening.

"He never had anything to say about that at all, like Henry's behaviour after scoring the goal and how that stands within his campaign to have fair play within the game.

"Henry celebrates as if he's done nothing wrong. Is that fair play? Hardly.

"But Mr Blatter chose to talk about the request to be considered as the 33rd team."

Following Brady's attack, Franz Beckenbauer told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Sepp Blatter is an excellent president. He speaks all the languages, he has all connections to even to the smallest federation. He is perfect for this job."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8388671.stm

:lol: More like Ireland is an embarrassment to world football with the nation's whining.

Guest Roger Kint

Somebody seriously needs to tell Ireland that they werent going through at the time of the handball and shut the fuck up.

Sounds more like you people need to move on. You don't seem to realise that the Irish nation already has. This continues to be an issue in the press because it sells papers. Put simply, the FAI made an attempt to wrangle something (be it a replay, compensation, whatever...) out of FIFA for their collosal fuck up. FIFA refused, and effectively took the piss out of the FAI at a press conference. This is not how a governing body should act. How would you feel if you went to your kids school, and spoke to the principal because your child thought they were unfairly treated. But, rather than deal with the problem in a sensible measured way, the principal dragged your child in front of assembly and got everyone to laugh at him? (Shit analogy, but you get the point...) Sepp Blatter is a fucking joke, and not just for the way he has handled himself in this incident. There are numerous previous cases where he has acted like a complete prick...

Somebody seriously needs to tell Ireland that they werent going through at the time of the handball and shut the f*** up.

And they werent going out either were they?Yeah they should shut the fuck up after the president of Fifa laughed at something that he promised to keep confidential in front of the world media!                       

Guest Roger Kint

Somebody seriously needs to tell Ireland that they werent going through at the time of the handball and shut the f*** up.

And they werent going out either were they?Yeah they should shut the f*** up after the president of Fifa laughed at something that he promised to keep confidential in front of the world media!                       

Just pointing out the fact that they werent going through at that point, nowhere in my post does it say they were going out either. Wasnt the uruguay goal to knock out Costa Rica suspect too? Should they be handed a lifeline?

Sounds more like you people need to move on. You don't seem to realise that the Irish nation already has. This continues to be an issue in the press because it sells papers. Put simply, the FAI made an attempt to wrangle something (be it a replay, compensation, whatever...) out of FIFA for their collosal f*** up. FIFA refused, and effectively took the piss out of the FAI at a press conference. This is not how a governing body should act. How would you feel if you went to your kids school, and spoke to the principal because your child thought they were unfairly treated. But, rather than deal with the problem in a sensible measured way, the principal dragged your child in front of assembly and got everyone to laugh at him? (s*** analogy, but you get the point...) Sepp Blatter is a f***ing joke, and not just for the way he has handled himself in this incident. There are numerous previous cases where he has acted like a complete prick...

Someone's clearly over it :lol:

Sounds more like you people need to move on. You don't seem to realise that the Irish nation already has. This continues to be an issue in the press because it sells papers. Put simply, the FAI made an attempt to wrangle something (be it a replay, compensation, whatever...) out of FIFA for their collosal f*** up. FIFA refused, and effectively took the piss out of the FAI at a press conference. This is not how a governing body should act. How would you feel if you went to your kids school, and spoke to the principal because your child thought they were unfairly treated. But, rather than deal with the problem in a sensible measured way, the principal dragged your child in front of assembly and got everyone to laugh at him? (s*** analogy, but you get the point...) Sepp Blatter is a f***ing joke, and not just for the way he has handled himself in this incident. There are numerous previous cases where he has acted like a complete prick...

That's right, Sepp Blatter's a stand up guy. Only has the best intentions of the game at heart.

Sepp Blatter is a career 'politician' not a football administrator, spends his time thinking about how to keep in with the people who will keep him in power. The fact that a legend like Beckenbauer comes out and licks his arse, just shows where his priorities really lie.

I really resent him and his type and by that i mean people who forge their careers out of a desire for power and an eye for for politics, rather than true passion and ability.

That's right, Sepp Blatter's a stand up guy. Only has the best intentions of the game at heart.

Of course he's not. But come on... "You lot need to let it go...." followed by launching a tirade at Blatter doesn't scream 'irony' to you? :lol:

And they werent going out either were they?Yeah they should shut the f*** up after the president of Fifa laughed at something that he promised to keep confidential in front of the world media!                       

Just pointing out the fact that they werent going through at that point, nowhere in my post does it say they were going out either. Wasnt the uruguay goal to knock out Costa Rica suspect too? Should they be handed a lifeline?

I never said they should be handed a lifeline and I dont think they should be It would just open a can of worms.Every team  who get wrong desicons against them would be looking for replays then.You said they should shut the fuck up,could you Imagine what would happen If he was laughing at the expense of a bigger country like Brazil,England there would be hell to pay