Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

http://www.lukewhostalking.co.uk/2009/06/give-shearer-the-job-now-and-t.html

Give Shearer The Job Now And Then Do One

By Luke Edwards on Jun 8, 09 01:02 PM

So how many bankers does it take to sort out Alan Shearer's contract? It sounds like the start of a bad joke doesn't it? But this is no laughing matter, this is deadly, deadly serious.

Quite why we are still waiting for an answer is beyond me and, if anything, I'm being given the distinct impression Mike Ashley has no intention of appointing Shearer as manager.

Instead, the rotund businessman who has, despite his good intentions, made a complete and utter cock up of his time at St James's Park, decides to run away as soon as the real problems start following relegation. No feeling of responsibility, no intention of trying to right the wrong, just a rapid escape to lick his own self-inflicted wounds.

He doesn't care if Newcastle United don't have a manager, he doesn't care if Alan Shearer is the only man who can do the job in these circumstances and he doesn't care if the club is drifting along without any sort of direction and planning. It seems to me that all he cares about is cutting his losses and walking away with £100m in his pocket.

Surely it doesn't take a bunch of accountants more than a week to sign off on a financial package which would make Shearer manager. Was that information just a smoke screen, given to the media and Shearer himself to buy some time? It's starting to look like it.

Well I'm sorry Mike but that is going to have to change. If you don't appoint Alan Shearer as manager, even though you are trying to sell the club, then you will be making a monumental blunder - even by your standards.

If the new owners don't want Shearer they are stupid. Why wouldn't they want the man who is the overwhelming choice of those who support and, ultimately in the Championship, l bankroll the club.

If a four-year contract is too long for prospective owners why isn't there a compromise? Why isn't Alan offered a three-year or even a two-year deal because in the short term at least he is the only appointment that makes sense, financially and emotionally.

With Shearer as manager I can see Newcastle starting next season with crowds hovering around the 40,000 mark. Without him there will probably be less than 20,000 as the feelings of disillusionment and betrayal really start to kick in.

With Shearer as manager I can see enough good players coming to St James's Park to get the team back into the Premier League at the first attempt. Without him I can see a shell of a first team squad which might even struggle to stay in the Championship. Alarmist? Perhaps, but who will be left and who on earth is going to sign for them?

Every day that passes without a resolution is costly and I wonder whether we are getting close to the stage where Shearer decides enough is enough and walks away, hoping new owners will be in place in time to appoint him (or someone else) before the damage done during this state of limbo is irreversible.

He wants to help his football club in their hour of need, but time is of the essence. As things stand Newcastle United are in more of a mess than ever before.

Relegation was bad enough but it could just have been the start of something a lot worse....

Luke Edwards is actually talking sense for once

I beg to differ. I think it's a really silly article. If the prospective new owners want Shearer, they'll appoint him. If they don't want him, then if Shearer's already been given a contract that will only put them off. They're not going to have as their first step the sacking of the local hero. As for only offering him a short contract so that if the new people don't want him, they won't have to put up with him for long - new heights of silliness.

There's also this conviction that, despite Shearer's poor record while in charge, he's the only man for the job. Now I'll admit that getting the fans on side is an important consideration, but it's not the only one.

So how many bankers does it take to sort out Alan Shearer's contract? It sounds like the start of a bad joke doesn't it? But this is no laughing matter, this is deadly, deadly serious.

Quite why we are still waiting for an answer is beyond me and, if anything, I'm being given the distinct impression Mike Ashley has no intention of appointing Shearer as manager.

Instead, the rotund businessman who has, despite his good intentions, made a complete and utter cock up of his time at St James's Park, decides to run away as soon as the real problems start following relegation. No feeling of responsibility, no intention of trying to right the wrong, just a rapid escape to lick his own self-inflicted wounds.

He doesn't care if Newcastle United don't have a manager, he doesn't care if Alan Shearer is the only man who can do the job in these circumstances and he doesn't care if the club is drifting along without any sort of direction and planning. It seems to me that all he cares about is cutting his losses and walking away with £100m in his pocket.

Surely it doesn't take a bunch of accountants more than a week to sign off on a financial package which would make Shearer manager. Was that information just a smoke screen, given to the media and Shearer himself to buy some time? It's starting to look like it.

Well I'm sorry Mike but that is going to have to change. If you don't appoint Alan Shearer as manager, even though you are trying to sell the club, then you will be making a monumental blunder - even by your standards.

If the new owners don't want Shearer they are stupid. Why wouldn't they want the man who is the overwhelming choice of those who support and, ultimately in the Championship, l bankroll the club.

If a four-year contract is too long for prospective owners why isn't there a compromise? Why isn't Alan offered a three-year or even a two-year deal because in the short term at least he is the only appointment that makes sense, financially and emotionally.

With Shearer as manager I can see Newcastle starting next season with crowds hovering around the 40,000 mark. Without him there will probably be less than 20,000 as the feelings of disillusionment and betrayal really start to kick in.

With Shearer as manager I can see enough good players coming to St James's Park to get the team back into the Premier League at the first attempt. Without him I can see a shell of a first team squad which might even struggle to stay in the Championship. Alarmist? Perhaps, but who will be left and who on earth is going to sign for them?

Every day that passes without a resolution is costly and I wonder whether we are getting close to the stage where Shearer decides enough is enough and walks away, hoping new owners will be in place in time to appoint him (or someone else) before the damage done during this state of limbo is irreversible.

He wants to help his football club in their hour of need, but time is of the essence. As things stand Newcastle United are in more of a mess than ever before.

Relegation was bad enough but it could just have been the start of something a lot worse....

I beg to differ. I think it's a really silly article. If the prospective new owners want Shearer, they'll appoint him. If they don't want him, then if Shearer's already been given a contract that will only put them off. They're not going to have as their first step the sacking of the local hero. As for only offering him a short contract so that if the new people don't want him, they won't have to put up with him for long - new heights of silliness.

There's also this conviction that, despite Shearer's poor record while in charge, he's the only man for the job. Now I'll admit that getting the fans on side is an important consideration, but it's not the only one.

So you think that being without a manager in our situation is ideal.

So who are the alternative choices as manager because I cannot think of any other realistic options.  Coppell is highly unlikely, Strachan?, Curbishley?, Jewell - after that I am struggling to think of names.  Who is this experienced championship manager to lead us to promotion?

Kinnear excels at relegation from the Championship so it can't be him.

So who are the alternative choices as manager because I cannot think of any other realistic options.  Coppell is highly unlikely, Strachan?, Curbishley?, Jewell - after that I am struggling to think of names.  Who is this experienced championship manager to lead us to promotion?

Not picking your post apart because I agree with it, but just saying I HATE Paul Jewell.  Time wasting's one of my biggest gripes in football and his teams treat it like an art form.  Plus he's shite.

Not picking your post apart because I agree with it, but just saying I HATE Paul Jewell.  Time wasting's one of my biggest gripes in football and his teams treat it like an art form.  Plus he's s****.

I am not keen on any of the names I listed either and Jewell did not impress at Derby.  I just cannot think of any genuine alternatives to Shearer.  The obvious ones - Bruce, Martinez, Coyle and possibly Mowbray are no longer available.  Foreign managers are an unlikely option now as well.

When people say "definitely not Shearer", I am just wondering who their preferred choice is because I honestly cannot think of who they might be. 

Not picking your post apart because I agree with it, but just saying I HATE Paul Jewell.  Time wasting's one of my biggest gripes in football and his teams treat it like an art form.  Plus he's s****.

I am not keen on any of the names I listed either and Jewell did not impress at Derby.  I just cannot think of any genuine alternatives to Shearer.  The obvious ones - Bruce, Martinez, Coyle and possibly Mowbray are no longer available.  Foreign managers are an unlikely option now as well.

When people say "definitely not Shearer", I am just wondering who their preferred choice is because I honestly cannot think of who they might be. 

Aye fair enough, I thought that was what you were getting at.  I just don't need an invitation for a bit of Jewell-hating.

I've been worried it will be Kinnear since Ashley was singing his praises after the Shearer talks stopped. And for Ashley there really is no other option, unless of course he's going to make us managerless as well as playerless. Let's face it he's going on as if he doesn't give a shit, and he hasn't got the brains to realise the club's worth will plummet to about 100 pence if we wait much longer for ANY manager.

I ust can't get my head around how he became a billionaire in the first place. It just shows you don't need brains, you just need a bit of luck and take a few big risks.

Someone's been talking again.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6459172.ece

Newcastle United have delivered another painful snub to Alan Shearer after effectively putting their entire first-team squad up for sale.

Sixteen days after their relegation to the Coca-Cola Championship, Newcastle remain in turmoil, with no manager and no summer transfers in place. They invited further ridicule by inviting offers for the club by e-mail.

Shearer, their increasingly frustrated manager-in-waiting, returned from a four-day break in Portugal yesterday still eager to embrace the challenge of restoring lustre to his home-town club, but has no meetings planned with Mike Ashley, the owner.

Last week Shearer was granted a single conversation with Derek Llambias, the managing director. He had hoped to hear on Friday that Barclays Bank had effectively extended the club’s overdraft, making £40 million available as working capital — to buy players and pay wages — but has been told nothing. “Alan is completely in the dark,” one associate said.

Shearer was attempting to discover last night whether Ashley’s backing for his appointment has waned, as the club’s dallying would suggest. He will not impose any deadline on Newcastle and nor will he walk away while there is a possibility of the job materialising, but he wants every opportunity to make it work.

That includes having the means to restructure the squad and Shearer will be dismayed to learn that his blueprint for achieving promotion next season, which included building a side around the likes of Steven Taylor, Steve Harper and Sébastien Bassong, has been ignored.

A number of agents, as well as other clubs, have been informed that offers would be considered for Newcastle’s entire playing staff. It has also been reported that First Artists, the agency, has been charged with finding buyers for high earners including Obafemi Martins, Joey Barton and Fabricio Coloccini.

After his only day of face-to-face negotiations with Shearer, Ashley described hiring their former striker for the final eight games of the season as the “best decision” he has made, while Llambias stated that “we want him to be the manager 110 per cent”. It is an opinion still held by supporters, who recognise that Shearer provides them with credibility as well as offering emotional resonance.

In the immediate aftermath of relegation from the Barclays Premier League, Shearer continued to work for the club without pay, speaking to players and agents about potential signings and compiling a programme for pre-season. His treatment since then appears shoddy and fans, who will receive their season-ticket packs this week, have called for the owner to end the impasse. “It is vital that Mike Ashley acts quickly to quash the rumour and hearsay that surrounds the appointment of Alan Shearer as our manager,” Newcastle United Supporters Club said in a statement.

Yet Ashley’s regime continues to provoke embarrassment. Yesterday the club — who are set to lose 120 members of staff — confirmed on their website that “the club is for sale at the price of £100 million”. Interested parties were asked to “contact Newcastle United at [email protected]”, which led to them being inundated with abusive e-mails from Sunderland fans.

Sources close to the sale have suggested that Ashley will be lucky to attract £80 million for a club he bought for £134 million two years ago and in which he subsequently invested a further £110 million to reduce debts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/08/alan-shearer-newcastle-delays-mike-ashley

Shearer seeks urgent talks with Newcastle

• Shearer 'angry and let down by lack of progress'

• Caretaker manager wants straight answers from owner

Alan Shearer remains determined to become Newcastle United's manager even though he is increasingly exasperated by the unexplained delay in finalising his appointment. Although Shearer is said to feel "angry and let down" by the lack of progress made in the two weeks since the club were relegated, he has not contemplated issuing an ultimatum and will continue to wait for a decision from the board – at least for the time being.

Nevertheless, having returned from a short holiday to Portugal, Shearer is showing signs of losing patience. He will seek an urgent meeting with Newcastle's owner, Mike Ashley, and managing director, Derek Llambias, this week and demand answers after a fortnight of negotiations appear to have led nowhere.

Shearer, who has the option of returning to work as a BBC pundit, says he does not intend to walk away from the talks at this stage but he is adamant the club cannot continue to operate in limbo and have any chance of returning to the Premier League at the first attempt next season.

The former Newcastle captain had expected to be given an answer last Friday but, apart from a brief conversation with Llambias, when he was told no progress had been made with the banks in charge of restructuring the club's finances following relegation, he has been kept in the dark.

There have been claims that Ashley has gone off the idea of making Shearer the club's permanent manager because of his record of only one win in eight games and his failure to keep Newcastle in the top flight. It has also been suggested that Ashley's decision to sell the club means he will not give anyone the manager's job as it may put off prospective buyers wanting to make that decision themselves.

The latter was seemingly not mentioned to Shearer as a potential barrier during previous discussions. When Shearer last spoke to Ashley 10 days ago, he was informed of the decision to put the club up for sale – the asking price has been confirmed at £100m in a club statement – but was apparently told he would be recruited regardless of any possible takeover.

As a result there is a growing suspicion inside the Shearer camp about Ashley's intentions, with some fearing he intends to try to sell as quickly as possible without worrying about finding a manager to lead the team back to the Premier League.

Concern is also mounting as nobody is in charge of the day-to-day running of the club while Shearer waits on the sidelines. With less than a month to go until the players return for pre-season training, Newcastle have not organised a single friendly and have failed to send out season-ticket renewal forms, let alone set up any transfer deals in or out of St James' Park.

If Ashley fails to make Shearer manager, the position will remain empty for at least another four or five weeks, the minimum time for a takeover to be completed.

So you think that being without a manager in our situation is ideal.

The point is that if the owner is going, he can't appoint the manager. As with the Keegan situation last September, people can't jump up and down demanding that Ashley goes if he won't appoint the manager they want, and then complain about the chaos that results.

Someone's been talking again.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6459172.ece

Newcastle United have delivered another painful snub to Alan Shearer after effectively putting their entire first-team squad up for sale.

Sixteen days after their relegation to the Coca-Cola Championship, Newcastle remain in turmoil, with no manager and no summer transfers in place. They invited further ridicule by inviting offers for the club by e-mail.

Shearer, their increasingly frustrated manager-in-waiting, returned from a four-day break in Portugal yesterday still eager to embrace the challenge of restoring lustre to his home-town club, but has no meetings planned with Mike Ashley, the owner.

Last week Shearer was granted a single conversation with Derek Llambias, the managing director. He had hoped to hear on Friday that Barclays Bank had effectively extended the club’s overdraft, making £40 million available as working capital — to buy players and pay wages — but has been told nothing. “Alan is completely in the dark,” one associate said.

Shearer was attempting to discover last night whether Ashley’s backing for his appointment has waned, as the club’s dallying would suggest. He will not impose any deadline on Newcastle and nor will he walk away while there is a possibility of the job materialising, but he wants every opportunity to make it work.

That includes having the means to restructure the squad and Shearer will be dismayed to learn that his blueprint for achieving promotion next season, which included building a side around the likes of Steven Taylor, Steve Harper and Sébastien Bassong, has been ignored.

A number of agents, as well as other clubs, have been informed that offers would be considered for Newcastle’s entire playing staff. It has also been reported that First Artists, the agency, has been charged with finding buyers for high earners including Obafemi Martins, Joey Barton and Fabricio Coloccini.

After his only day of face-to-face negotiations with Shearer, Ashley described hiring their former striker for the final eight games of the season as the “best decision” he has made, while Llambias stated that “we want him to be the manager 110 per cent”. It is an opinion still held by supporters, who recognise that Shearer provides them with credibility as well as offering emotional resonance.

In the immediate aftermath of relegation from the Barclays Premier League, Shearer continued to work for the club without pay, speaking to players and agents about potential signings and compiling a programme for pre-season. His treatment since then appears shoddy and fans, who will receive their season-ticket packs this week, have called for the owner to end the impasse. “It is vital that Mike Ashley acts quickly to quash the rumour and hearsay that surrounds the appointment of Alan Shearer as our manager,” Newcastle United Supporters Club said in a statement.

Yet Ashley’s regime continues to provoke embarrassment. Yesterday the club — who are set to lose 120 members of staff — confirmed on their website that “the club is for sale at the price of £100 million”. Interested parties were asked to “contact Newcastle United at [email protected]”, which led to them being inundated with abusive e-mails from Sunderland fans.

Sources close to the sale have suggested that Ashley will be lucky to attract £80 million for a club he bought for £134 million two years ago and in which he subsequently invested a further £110 million to reduce debts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/08/alan-shearer-newcastle-delays-mike-ashley

Shearer seeks urgent talks with Newcastle

• Shearer 'angry and let down by lack of progress'

• Caretaker manager wants straight answers from owner

Alan Shearer remains determined to become Newcastle United's manager even though he is increasingly exasperated by the unexplained delay in finalising his appointment. Although Shearer is said to feel "angry and let down" by the lack of progress made in the two weeks since the club were relegated, he has not contemplated issuing an ultimatum and will continue to wait for a decision from the board – at least for the time being.

Nevertheless, having returned from a short holiday to Portugal, Shearer is showing signs of losing patience. He will seek an urgent meeting with Newcastle's owner, Mike Ashley, and managing director, Derek Llambias, this week and demand answers after a fortnight of negotiations appear to have led nowhere.

Shearer, who has the option of returning to work as a BBC pundit, says he does not intend to walk away from the talks at this stage but he is adamant the club cannot continue to operate in limbo and have any chance of returning to the Premier League at the first attempt next season.

The former Newcastle captain had expected to be given an answer last Friday but, apart from a brief conversation with Llambias, when he was told no progress had been made with the banks in charge of restructuring the club's finances following relegation, he has been kept in the dark.

There have been claims that Ashley has gone off the idea of making Shearer the club's permanent manager because of his record of only one win in eight games and his failure to keep Newcastle in the top flight. It has also been suggested that Ashley's decision to sell the club means he will not give anyone the manager's job as it may put off prospective buyers wanting to make that decision themselves.

The latter was seemingly not mentioned to Shearer as a potential barrier during previous discussions. When Shearer last spoke to Ashley 10 days ago, he was informed of the decision to put the club up for sale – the asking price has been confirmed at £100m in a club statement – but was apparently told he would be recruited regardless of any possible takeover.

As a result there is a growing suspicion inside the Shearer camp about Ashley's intentions, with some fearing he intends to try to sell as quickly as possible without worrying about finding a manager to lead the team back to the Premier League.

Concern is also mounting as nobody is in charge of the day-to-day running of the club while Shearer waits on the sidelines. With less than a month to go until the players return for pre-season training, Newcastle have not organised a single friendly and have failed to send out season-ticket renewal forms, let alone set up any transfer deals in or out of St James' Park.

If Ashley fails to make Shearer manager, the position will remain empty for at least another four or five weeks, the minimum time for a takeover to be completed.

The point that is conveniently ignored in both those articles is that Shearer has said that he will only accept the job under certain conditions. The conditions are the cause of the delay, not any assessment of Shearer's ability.

Now as none of us know what those conditions are, we don't know how realistic they are for an owner to accept. They're obviously not acceptable to Ashley, but may be okay for someone else. We'll have to see.

In the real world, the owner decides the financial parameters, and the prospective manager decides whether to take the job. In Planet Newcastle, things are different.

We all know how this ends, right?

( :kinnear: )

I'd say we're more likely to end up with :dowie:

Thought :dowie: was offered a job somewhere.

:kinnear: is just sitting there.

I must have missed that. I still don't think :kinnear: will be our manager next season. That might just be wishful thinking so extreme that I've accepted it as the truth though.