Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest Stephen927

From the "Reading Too Much Into Things" file:

"He's been very reasonable with us and kept us informed of his situation. If he did decide to leave then that's something we would have to sit down and discuss with him and his representatives. But we don't envisage that happening."

So the BBC don't expect him to get the Newcastle job...?

Well from what Shearer has been telling them, I'd assume they think the club won't be sorted out soon. Shearer is in the dark about it all so it isn't surprising that the BBC think he'll be back on the sofa.

Shearer back at BBC after Newcastle snub: Ashley can't find buyer for troubled Toon

By Bob Cass Last updated at 9:59 PM on 01st August 2009

Alan Shearer has confirmed that he will be back at the BBC next season and will not return to St James' Park to resume his role as manager of relegated Newcastle United.

On a poignant weekend when fans paid tribute at the stadium to former manager Sir Bobby Robson, the club he loved slid into a deeper crisis as it became apparent club owner Mike Ashley is now unlikely to find a new buyer.

Shearer, whose eight games in charge failed to prevent relegation, confirmed he will see United kick-off their opening Championship match at West Bromwich next Saturday from a BBC studio as a TV pundit.

'At this moment that's what I'll be doing, talking about the match which is live on television,' he said.

'Of course, things can change but I've heard nothing from anybody at Newcastle. I've another year of my BBC contract and obviously I've got to think about the future.'

Although Keith Harris, chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, is negotiating with an unidentified foreign buyer thought to be a financial services company, sources close to the deal admit there is a strong possibility it may not go through.

Harris, appointed by Ashley to find a buyer, returns from holiday next week. But discussions with the potential buyer have been slow and there are growing doubts about the deal. The club are hampered by a wage bill that last year cost £65million and although Michael Owen has moved to Manchester United, there are still at least eight players on more than £65,000 a week

Projected income for next season is not expected to cover wages and although Harris has dismissed the prospect of going into administration, the inability to sell highly-paid players is a stumbling block.

Caretaker boss Chris Hughton will be in charge at The Hawthorns, barring a dramatic breakthrough in sale negotiations.

Harris was not concerned by the withdrawal of the Profitable Group last week as they were not seen as serious bidders but unless the anonymous foreign buyer shows intent soon, Newcastle will spend another season under the reluctant ownership of Ashley.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1203690/Shearer-BBC-Newcastle-snub-Ashley-buyer-troubled-Toon.html

Shearer to watch West Brom game for BBC Aug 06 2009

ALAN SHEARER will be at the Hawthorns on Saturday night for Newcastle Uniteds opener with West Brom but sadly for Toon fans he will be sat just yards away from them in the TV studio

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/06/shearer-to-watch-west-brom-game-for-bbc-72703-24332141/

What if this entire time, he was talking to CH over the phone- that wuold be awesome. and highly unlikely.

The times from yesterday

Newcastle: Forget Shearer, bring in Coppell

Matthew Briggs

It goes without saying that we’re in a bit of a mess at the moment. Look up the word rudderless in the next edition of the Oxford English Dictionary and it’s sure to have a two word definition - Newcastle United. With Mike Ashley’s chances of any sort of sale receding quicker than Freddie Ljungberg’s hairline the attention turns to the manager’s seat and the best man to lead us out of this epic mess.

All the clamour seems to be for Shearer, regardless of who is actually running the club and I have to ask myself why? His credentials start and end at ‘highest ever club goal scorer’ but that doesn’t qualify you to lead a bunch of unruly, underperforming, overpaid mercenaries into a blood and guts battle for Championship mediocrity, nor does managing that very squad in eight decidedly average games at the back end of last season.  Okay, maybe that’s a bit harsh. It would’ve taken someone with the tactical nous of Mourinho and the inspirational oratory skills of Martin Luther King to rouse our rabble into match winning performances in such a short amount of time but that doesn’t excuse the fact Shearer is woefully short on experience.

We’re not in a position where we have the luxury of giving a manager six months to see if he’s any good because relegation to League One is a distinct possibility. His on the field exploits shouldn’t distract us from the fact he’s done little so far to prove he has the steel to keep us ticking over until someone with the will and big enough wallet to run the club comes along. We need a reliable, old hand who can restore our dignity and guarantee next season will be devoid of the trauma of relegation, even if that means doing away with the excitement of promotion too.

Three names spring to mind immediately - Alan Curbishley, Steve Coppell and Gordon Strachan. Big but attainable and more than capable of performing the unsexy task of helping us remain a second tier club. While their names may not immediately set the pulse racing their CVs are much more comforting to look at. Combined they’re sea of respectable Premier League finishes, promotions from the Championship and impressive transfers on a paltry budget. Odd relegation and stress related breakdown aside they should be topping the list of potential managers when Ashley inevitably realises no sale at the price he wants will come before the season is in full swing.

All this is not to say I never want Shearer to set foot in St. James’ Park and plonk his arse in the home dugout again. Far from it. I just don’t want him cutting a forlorn figure on the touchline on a bleak December evening when results are inevitably going against us because of issues outside his control. If he is going to come back then it needs to be when everything is perfectly placed for him to have a bloody good chance of being a success, when the cash is flowing and expectations are recalculated. Not when he’s going to be hamstrung by the people in charge.

For the good of the club and his fledgling career both he and the fans need to play the waiting game

What's wrong with Coppell? I'd take him over Shearer every time - he's everything we need atm.

Coppell was once manager of Man City. Do a little research and find out what happened there then you will understand just what bollocks that article is.

Say Shearer gets an offer to manage a decent club and decides he can't wait for this mess to be sorted out. Would you be angry?

i doubt i could muster up enough to be angry if he shagged my wife and mam before going.

Geordie hero Shearer back as boss of Newcastle 'within days'

By Rob Draper

Last updated at 8:58 PM on 08th August 2009

Alan Shearer could return as Newcastle manager as early as next week — but only if owner Mike Ashley is willing to accept a £70million offer for the club from Geordie businessman Barry Moat.

As Newcastle came from behind to draw 1-1 with West Bromwich yesterday on the opening day of the Championship season, Ashley, whose name was repeatedly abused by travelling fans, was flying in from Hawaii to finalise negotiations, with Keith Harris — who is conducting the potential sale — confident the deal can be completed within days.

Newcastle dropped Joey Barton to the bench after reports of an altercation with

temporary manager Chris Hughton and Moat is keen to get Shearer, who was at The Hawthorns yesterday as a BBC analyst, before the transfer window closes, so the club can buy players better suited to a promotion campaign.

Shearer said: ‘If someone comes in and buys the football club and wants me as manager and everything is right, and they want to get the club back up to the Premier League, then I would dearly love the chance to finish what I started last season. Other than that, you have to believe me when I say I don’t know anything.’

The decision will depend on Ashley’s attitude when he meets Seymour Pierce chairman Harris this week, who will present him the terms of Moat’s bid for the club.

But Ashley wants at least £90m and may yet decided to stay at the club for another year.

Shearer added: ‘I am still here, still in limbo. I don’t know any more than anyone else. But I want it sorted either way because of the love of the football club.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1205225/Geordie-hero-Shearer-boss-Newcastle-days.html

=/=

Alan Shearer could return as Newcastle manager as early as next week — but only if owner Mike Ashley is willing to accept a £70million offer for the club from Geordie businessman Barry Moat.

I believe 100% that alan shearer is the right man to manage this club. I think he brings the authority, common sense and passion it takes to manage this club. as did robson, as did keegan. Gullit, daglish, allardyce etc never failed because they were not geordies. They failed because they did not have a clue, They did not have passion or understand this club. I think other managers could have succeeded but the ones we had made the wrong decisions time and time again. Newcastle fans arfe knowlegable about football always have been however most our managers and the press have misunderstood that for being to ambitious

By Rob Draper

Last updated at 8:58 PM on 08th August 2009

Shearer said: If someone comes in and buys the football club and wants me as manager and everything is right, and they want to get the club back up to the Premier League, then I would dearly love the chance to finish what I started last season.

I'm probably the only one who's irritated by this, but here goes.

'Finish what you started?' - Sorry Al, you didn't start anything, we were relegated. You've still got something to prove, mate.

The bit about 'everything is right and they want to get back into the Premier League' sounds like he's only prepared to take the job if there's money to spend. It doesn't sound to me like either Ashley or even any buyer is going to be able to blow much on signings. We need someone who sees the job as an opportunity and who's going to make the best of limited resources. That's the reality.

I didn't like the way he was sat in the studio, talking about the limitations of the players out there. No doubt it'll get him a round of applause with most fans, but I did wonder what the players would have felt.

To be fair. He probably started a lot of things behind the scenes. He was dealing with players that did not have a clue and a cunt who owns the club.

How you can write anyone off after the season started with a manager loved by us then finished by a manager also loved by us while trying to tarnish our love for them is ridiculous. We were shit and still are. I have got over it. Now try and be optimistic for fuck sake