Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Geordie hero Shearer back as boss of Newcastle 'within days'

By Rob Draper

Last updated at 8:58 PM on 08th August 2009

Shearer said: If someone comes in and buys the football club and wants me as manager and everything is right, and they want to get the club back up to the Premier League, then I would dearly love the chance to finish what I started last season.

I'm probably the only one who's irritated by this, but here goes.

'Finish what you started?' - Sorry Al, you didn't start anything, we were relegated. You've still got something to prove, mate.

The bit about 'everything is right and they want to get back into the Premier League' sounds like he's only prepared to take the job if there's money to spend. It doesn't sound to me like either Ashley or even any buyer is going to be able to blow much on signings. We need someone who sees the job as an opportunity and who's going to make the best of limited resources. That's the reality.

I didn't like the way he was sat in the studio, talking about the limitations of the players out there. No doubt it'll get him a round of applause with most fans, but I did wonder what the players would have felt.

Spending £10m of the money he's raked in on a couple of strikers will probably get us promotion at the first attempt and that will be worth £40m a year. But I expect ashley will continue his small minded approach and that will keep us in the lower leagues for the near future.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Bobyule that is the biggest pile of shit I have seen in a while. He was bang on in everything he said

When you start questioning Shearers commitment towards this club you need to stop following Newcastle as a club, serious.

Listen to yourself, mate. The club is bigger than any one individual, and no-one should be beyond criticism.

Over the last few years, I've seen first Shearer and then Keegan being set up as idols whose ability and motivation can't be questioned. It's been entirely destructive in its effect.

Look guys, I would like to see Shearer in the job, because I think he has some ability. But the point I was making - and amidst the abuse no-one seemed to want to address it - was that he only seems to want the job under certain favourable conditions which I don't think Ashley or any other owner is going to be able to provide. In which case, let's move on.

When you start questioning Shearers commitment towards this club you need to stop following Newcastle as a club, serious.

Listen to yourself, mate. The club is bigger than any one individual, and no-one should be beyond criticism.

Over the last few years, I've seen first Shearer and then Keegan being set up as idols whose ability and motivation can't be questioned. It's been entirely destructive in its effect.

Look guys, I would like to see Shearer in the job, because I think he has some ability. But the point I was making - and amidst the abuse no-one seemed to want to address it - was that he only seems to want the job under certain favourable conditions which I don't think Ashley or any other owner is going to be able to provide. In which case, let's move on.

The favourable conditions are to spend some of the money we have raked in on some much needed players to get us promoted. You don't agree with that?

Guest Soundas

Most of the players Shearer wanted to keep have left, The ones he wanted rid of are here.

That speaks volumes about who is coming in to takeover.

The favourable conditions are to spend some of the money we have raked in on some much needed players to get us promoted. You don't agree with that?

Yeah, I'd want the manager to have money to spend, same as everyone else. But is the money there? We were living beyond our means before, and we're in a worse position now. If there's some sugardaddy waiting in the wings, then great, but I see no sign of that.

How the fuck is Shearer refusing to be another one of Ashley's pitiful yes-men a bad thing? :lol:

With only two exceptions, every manager has to work within a budget set by the owner. You can call that being a 'yes man' if you like. I'd call it reality. If he's doesn't like what's in front of him, then fine, but I don't see anything particularly heroic about it.

Most of the players Shearer wanted to keep have left, The ones he wanted rid of are here.

That's what happens when you get relegated. The players who are wanted by other clubs move on. The rest stay.

Guest Soundas

That's what happens when you get relegated. The players who are wanted by other clubs move on. The rest stay.

Most of them would of stayed, Nothing to do with going down.

Just a stupid owner who wouldn't appoint a manager (Shearer) and wanted to save himself some cash.

If he give him a contract we would of had a better 1st team at Brom today.

Yeah, I'd want the manager to have money to spend, same as everyone else. But is the money there? We were living beyond our means before, and we're in a worse position now. If there's some sugardaddy waiting in the wings, then great, but I see no sign of that.

The money wasn't there to spend in the transfer window last season either. That worked out well didn't it? Did our economic fortune a world of good not investing in our premiership survival.

I believe 100% that alan shearer is the right man to manage this club. I think he brings the authority, common sense and passion it takes to manage this club. as did robson, as did keegan. Gullit, daglish, allardyce etc never failed because they were not geordies. They failed because they did not have a clue, They did not have passion or understand this club. I think other managers could have succeeded but the ones we had made the wrong decisions time and time again. Newcastle fans arfe knowlegable about football always have been however most our managers and the press have misunderstood that for being to ambitious

what is going on with this board today? An astonishingly ignorant post, to go with the ridiculous knee-jerking and James's horrific player ratings

How the fuck is Shearer refusing to be another one of Ashley's pitiful yes-men a bad thing? :lol:

With only two exceptions, every manager has to work within a budget set by the owner. You can call that being a 'yes man' if you like. I'd call it reality. If he's doesn't like what's in front of him, then fine, but I don't see anything particularly heroic about it.

So you think he should just take the job, fail miserably because he hasn't got any players and be complicit in Ashley running the club into the ground?

Geordie hero Shearer back as boss of Newcastle 'within days'

By Rob Draper

Last updated at 8:58 PM on 08th August 2009

Shearer said: If someone comes in and buys the football club and wants me as manager and everything is right, and they want to get the club back up to the Premier League, then I would dearly love the chance to finish what I started last season.

I'm probably the only one who's irritated by this, but here goes.

'Finish what you started?' - Sorry Al, you didn't start anything, we were relegated. You've still got something to prove, mate.

The bit about 'everything is right and they want to get back into the Premier League' sounds like he's only prepared to take the job if there's money to spend. It doesn't sound to me like either Ashley or even any buyer is going to be able to blow much on signings. We need someone who sees the job as an opportunity and who's going to make the best of limited resources. That's the reality.

I didn't like the way he was sat in the studio, talking about the limitations of the players out there. No doubt it'll get him a round of applause with most fans, but I did wonder what the players would have felt.

Brilliant post.

It's just a shame you are up against the 'Sun shines out of Shearer's arse brigade.

I love the way every critic of your post has totally side-stepped the issue of him still having something to prove, because he was shite as a manager for those last 8 games.

****Cue it was the players fault/no one on earth could have motivated that lot/ashley is a twat/you are a twat (delete as applicable) responses ****

Guest Heneage

Did you disagree with Shearer's assessment of the midfielders? Other than that I sort of agree he's not achieved anything.

Plus, no money? We've sold about 23m's worth of player have we not? And shifted about £20m off the wage bill, I'm sure £5m and 20-40k could be made available.

Did you disagree with Shearer's assessment of the midfielders? Other than that I sort of agree he's not achieved anything.

Agree with it fully, and if he were to be our manager, it's nice to have someone who sees that these players like something vital and fundamental in their armoury.

But come to think of it, if he is about to become our manager, then why say it? He'd need to work with these players. He's not going to get the best out of them by openly implying that they're shit (no creativity, can't pass, won't score goals).

Just seems a bit of a Souness thing to do, as opposed to someone like Keegan/Sir Bobby/Wenger/Fergie/etc who'd not give anything away due to their over-proctective nature.

Guest Heneage

Agree with it fully, and if he were to be our manager, it's nice to have someone who sees that these players like something vital and fundamental in their armoury.

But come to think of it, if he is about to become our manager, then why say it? He'd need to work with these players. He's not going to get the best out of them by openly implying that they're s*** (no creativity, can't pass, won't score goals).

Just seems a bit of a Souness thing to do, as opposed to someone like Keegan/Sir Bobby/Wenger/Fergie/etc who'd not give anything away due to their over-proctective nature.

Maybe the delusion of these players is the problem. By telling a player "Listen you are this type of player, not this." It can be seen as degrading, but it let's people know where they stand.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

ironically I think our centre mid will be one of our strongest positions this season if we keep Butt, Guthrie, Smith and Barton for those positions, they will all be shit hot in the championship except for Nicky Butt, who is horrendously shit at football.

Guest afternoonfix

Alan Shearer could return as Newcastle manager as early as next week - but only if owner Mike Ashley is willing to accept a £70m offer for the club from Geordie businessman Barry Moat. (Mail on Sunday)

But come to think of it, if he is about to become our manager, then why say it? He'd need to work with these players. He's not going to get the best out of them by openly implying that they're shit (no creativity, can't pass, won't score goals).

On the flip side, at least you would have a manager unafraid to make the tough decisions instead of pandering to the "stars". He dumped michael owen on the bench even though he was a pal...I can think of plenty who would have ducked difficult decisions like that.