Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

I understand the excitement, but looking at this dispassionately, ie as an outsider, there's no doubt that the Kinnear appointment was a disaster, but is this the best idea now?

Running out of games, tough run-in, in the relegation places, time running out, he may be a Newcastle legend, but at the end of the day, you're still appointing someone who hasn't managed a parks team.

Ashley tried the emotional appointment with Keegan, and he's done it again here.

Would it not make sense to appoint someone with (recent) experience now and then Shearer from the start of next season?

I guess that is why he has bought Ian Dowie in with him as he has experience of fighting relegation with Palace.

open training session next week.

feel good factor is on its way.

Can't criticize but why wasn't this done weeks ago? It's like when you let the screen fill up on Dr Mario to see if you can manage to get it back down from critical. We've waited far too long for this to fucking click in the skulls of the people at the top.

That statement makes it sound like Kinnear will be back in charge after the season :kinnear:

It's hardly surprising is it? They can hardly say 'The Club have made the appointments while Joe Kinnear (who is shit) continues to recover at home having recently underwent heart surgery.'

I think they should say "The Club have made the appointments after sacking the useless fucking cunt Joe Kinnear who is at home recovering from heart surgery." :pow:

Guest Howaythetoon

The 8 games thing is to get people's minds focusing on that and that only and not next season if you ask me. I think this will materialise into a long-term appointment either way whether we stay up or go down to be honest.

Can't criticize but why wasn't this done weeks ago? It's like when you let the screen fill up on Dr Mario to see if you can manage to get it back down from critical. We've waited far too long for this to fucking click in the skulls of the people at the top.

The drop into the relegation zone must have finally woken them up. Actually being in the bottom three makes a massive difference psychologically.

The 8 games thing is to get people's minds focusing on that and that only and not next season if you ask me. I think this will materialise into a long-term appointment either way whether we stay up or go down to be honest.

Agreed.

Can't criticize but why wasn't this done weeks ago? It's like when you let the screen fill up on Dr Mario to see if you can manage to get it back down from critical. We've waited far too long for this to f***ing click in the skulls of the people at the top.

maybe they've been trying to get him for weeks?

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, the Dowie appointment... could indicate many things about the long-term under Shearer and just what type of manager he will be. Dowie is like Big Sam when it comes to the modern side of the game as he's interested in the stats, the fitness, the physiology etc. whereas I don't think Shearer is into all that. Ying and yang and all that. It wouldn't surprise me if Hughton and Calderwood also followed Wise once the season ends and other Shearer people get appointed. At talk ins whenever Shearer as manager gets mentioned the likes of Beardsley, Bereseford and Barton in particular all seemed to believe he would be big on backroom staff, allowing him to do what he's good at while having the people around to do what he's not so good at. Dowie... I bet everyone would have tipped Rob Lee. Shows a thinking of outside the box and independent thinking too. I.e. not a job for the boys type manager ala Souness with Saunders.

By the way, the Dowie appointment... could indicate many things about the long-term under Shearer and just what type of manager he will be. Dowie is like Big Sam when it comes to the modern side of the game as he's interested in the stats, the fitness, the physiology etc. whereas I don't think Shearer is into all that. Ying and yang and all that. It wouldn't surprise me if Hughton and Calderwood also followed Wise once the season ends and other Shearer people get appointed. At talk ins whenever Shearer as manager gets mentioned the likes of Beardsley, Bereseford and Barton in particular all seemed to believe he would be big on backroom staff, allowing him to do what he's good at while having the people around to do what he's not so good at. Dowie... I bet everyone would have tipped Rob Lee. Shows a thinking of outside the box and independent thinking too. I.e. not a job for the boys type manager ala Souness with Saunders.

HTT - your overall assesments on Dowie? Interesting what you are saying about the modern game etc, didn't know that about Dowie.  Also whats your take on the entire situation? Respect your opinion, would like to hear your thoughts/initial reaction.

Happy times! :celb:

I do admit, im realy looking forward to see he`s selection against Chelsea.

See what he stands for in a way. (balls to go head on, or a more patient approach)

I guess he wants wings with good delivery, and im not convinced he is very impressed with EL Jonas`s delivery this season...

Maybe play him deeper like Argentina does...?

Hell, what do i know....  :cheesy:

Last thing we needed was a Phil Neal style lackey as number 2...that's not to say Bobby Lee would be like that.I personally think that there will be a job on the coaching staff for Bobby Lee,just not assistant manager.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT - your overall assesments on Dowie? Interesting what you are saying about the modern game etc, didn't know that about Dowie.  Also whats your take on the entire situation? Respect your opinion, would like to hear your thoughts/initial reaction.

I view this more in long-term eyes personally outside of the "get the fuck in" initial reaction. In general I think this is a massive step forward on many levels and good news. I'm not so confident that we will stay up just because of Shearer although we stand a chance, but the ramifications long-term could be huge. Already Wise has gone and in Shearer we have someone who will want to do things his own way which is clear by the appointment of a complete random in terms of name and links to Big Al in Dowie. Regarding him, he's big on fitness, stats, psychology etc. and like to experiment coaching wise, he's a deep thinker. There should be some interesting articles about his methods from his time at Palace. he tried to build Palace up from the bottom but clashed with Simon Jordan and found it hard to do so in the harsh glare of the results first, everything else last environment that is the Premier League. Still, he took Palace up and put up a good fight to keep them there. hHe turned Andy Johnson into an England player via psychology and playing to his strengths and had a reputation at Palace for playing and developing youth. He's a better coach than a manager and although I'm surprised by his appointment, I'm glad because it says a lot about Shearer, that he is his own man and very much an independent thinker. I thought Rob lee nailed on. Dowie? As much as a surprise as Shearer being our new manager to be honest.

Guest Howaythetoon

On ITV news about Shearer now. Nothing club my arse :D There was fuck all like that when Spurs appointed Redknapp or Ramos for example.

Said hes only in it for 8 games & looking no further than that.

Joe Kinnear still has the job & is still recovering

:kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear:

except he hasnt, unless he's signed that contract while he was in hospital