Shearer long term?

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shearer cannot be judged as a manager until he has had at least a full season in charge, and even that may not be long enough ; as to producing attractive teams because he was a forward, even Brian Clough(a high-scoring CF himself)built his teams from the back including paying a record fee for a keeper(Shilton).

As long as Al gets results, even by building sides which win games by attacking on the break, I will be quite happy.

One of his great qualities is realism - he will know what can be achieved with the players he has and will expect ALL of them to do their bit to reach those goals...by the end of this season he will know who he can work with & who he can't ; some surprises can be expected and he won't have favourites over the long term...

All I want is for a chance to build a proper fucking TEAM, not a ragbag of mercenaries, old age pensioners and Sunday league teenagers.

I'm delighted we've got Big Al until the season ends, and I hope that it proves to be a successful endeavour for us all.

I'm just sick of the managerial merry-go-round, the concomitant lack of team development, team ethos, fluidity of play, possession, aggression and passion on the ball and in the game...I'd love Shearer to be given a proper shot at it...rip it up and start again but this time do it right.

Well said.

Guest Brummiemag

Yes even if we go down. We need some stability at the club and Shearer is the man to take us forward

If Ashley backs his manager with funds and gives him control over transfers then we can look forward to more attacking football, more committed players, a united club and year on year improvement.

Guest Stephen927

See how he goes with the upcoming 8 games.

He'll make mistakes no doubt, but hopefully the buzz around the place and with the players trying to impress a new manager we can do enough to stay up and re-assess the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

So, one draw and two losses in three (admittedly difficult) games, without us looking any better than we did before he came in, has anyone changed their mind?

I haven't, I want him to stay on even more than I did before the Chelsea game. I'm really liking that he's changing things around on the field, and he's making the right substitutions at the right times (bar Smith coming on instead of Guthrie).

It also feels so right seeing him on the touchlines, and he's talking a lot of sense in his pre and post match interviews.

All in all, even though results haven't gone his way, which isn't all down to him, he is the right man for the job for me.

If people are changing their minds after three games then they're idiots imo.

He's shown that he's capable of being a manager. Tbh - making such radical formation/tactical changes in the space of one game shows massive balls for someone who has never managed before - and is staring relegation in the face.

I'd love to see us stay up and him get his own squad to work with.

He's shown that he's capable of being a manager. Tbh - making such radical formation/tactical changes in the space of one game shows massive balls for someone who has never managed before - and is staring relegation in the face.

definitely, i'd like to see al build his side, with his players to play his football.

'nuff respect to him for dropping colo and ameobi when both are off form, sensible but brave decisions

yeah, i really havent agreed with his match formation but it shows an degree of creativity, courage invention that some of our other managers have lacked. he now needs to show the same attitude when it comes to dropping the likes of nolan, butt and duff and sticking owen in midfield. i'd stick with him next season at least, especially when we know what the alternative is.

So, one draw and two losses in three (admittedly difficult) games, without us looking any better than we did before he came in, has anyone changed their mind?

I haven't, I want him to stay on even more than I did before the Chelsea game. I'm really liking that he's changing things around on the field, and he's making the right substitutions at the right times (bar Smith coming on instead of Guthrie).

It also feels so right seeing him on the touchlines, and he's talking a lot of sense in his pre and post match interviews.

All in all, even though results haven't gone his way, which isn't all down to him, he is the right man for the job for me.

There is just no way to make a call on this yet. No one can accuse him of lacking bottle in any case, 8 games to turn things round was always going to be a challenge.

i thought smith did well when he came on tbf

i thought smith did well when he came on tbf

Aye, he was decent enough (should have been booked for that tackle though). Guthrie is still twice the player Smith is and he's been our best CM this season, so he really didn't deserve to be dropped.

yeah, i really havent agreed with his match formation but it shows an degree of creativity, courage invention that some of our other managers have lacked. he now needs to show the same attitude when it comes to dropping the likes of nolan, butt and duff and sticking owen in midfield. i'd stick with him next season at least, especially when we know what the alternative is.

Yep, I basically agree with this. I'm pretty content to stick with him - maybe not the most perfect and surest choice, but going on the early days there are some signs of promise and I'd like to see him have some time .

I love the man and hope he not only performs a miracle and keeps us up, but also that he does indeed stay on and turn out to be a top gaffer.

If however we were to look at it logically, he really isnt inpiring at the mo!

Strange formations, lots of players out of position, 1 point in 9 with some terrible performances and ultimately not much improvement all round.

Shearer was never being brought in for his tatical know-how, rather as our very own William Wallace who was going to come in, grab each and every one of those primadonna claiming to be footballers by the balls and explain to them what this club means to the fans, the city and ultimately to him.

This was going to motivate them enough to achieve just enough points to stay in the prem, an achievable objective simply due to the dross around us like smogs and hull.

For me this either hasnt happenedor hasnt worked as there were stages yesterday when some of them looked like they couldnt give a s#it.

I have never hated a group of footballers at this club more (stand up Mickey O) put down not to their lack of talent, but to their clear lack of effort and interest for the cause.

If Wor A cannot motivate them to play for this club, no-one will.

They have ultimately failed us, not Al, but I am disappointed but the lack of affect he has had.

What is it they say, 'you can't polish a turd'.

Shearer knows the main problem is midfield, thats why he's tried different formations to try and get around this.

Impossible to properly judge him on someone's elses players.

What is it they say, 'you can't polish a turd'.

Shearer knows the main problem is midfield, thats why he's tried different formations to try and get around this.

Impossible to properly judge him on someone's elses players.

And yet the one constant in all his piss-farting around with the midfield personnel and formation has been the main weak link...Nicky Butt.

Shearer has shown a lot more enterprise in his formations than I was expecting, so credit for that. I'd seen him as a straight 4-4-2 man.

A big problem is that his most senior players and the ones he's relying on for leadership - Butt and Owen - aren't delivering. Butt frustrates the hell out of me, and personally I'd drop him, but we don't really have an equivelent DM so I'd admit that the alternatives might not work out that much better.

However, where I think Shearer has a serious and potentially costly blind spot is Owen. It feels like he's the first name on the sheet and the rest of the team have to fit around him. The whole idea of 'let's all create chances for Michael to bang in' feels like a naive and outdated approach. Teams have to be fluid and strikers have to be able to create for others as well as finish.

Owens only fault right now is that he's not 6'4. He may have had one pass along the floor in the entire first half of that tottenham game, he took it went past two & jonas wasted what could have been a very big chance.

Our entire attack came down to, loop high balls somewhere. Its useless, replacing Owen with someone else wont do much. Its our strategy thats crap.

Guest Schmocky

I think he should stay on after this season and hopefully show us what he can do, if we are in the prem or not. Personally i think he should have more then one season to show what he can do, one season is nothing, you need to show to players that the manager is here for the long haul and not just going to be sacked after 4-5 bad games. He needs time (not 1 season, look at roeder, was good in first season got us in europe then just died the next) to build the team, bring in new players meld them into the team. Get rid of the dead wood. He has already shown that he is prepared to drop players in bad form, change the system not just keep it 4-4-2 no matter what. We were much better in the second half against spuds, he just needs to get us playing like that more often and for the whole match.

I didnt agree with guthrie being left on bench, mainly because of the system we changed into when viduka and martins came on. But smudge had a alright game compared to the others in midfield. Also didnt agree with strolla being on the bench, fair enough he has been playing with injuries to help the cause, but he is useless drop him give him a rest and tell him to go read "football for dummies"!! But it is early days and he is going to make mistakes all managers do. As someone has already mentioned everton have stuck with moyes and look at them now. Aston villa could have sacked MON, he had some dreadful results in his first season, but now he is taking on the Top 4.

This club needs stability and that ain't going to happen sacking all the new managers. Ashley has to grap his balls (if there is any) and not listen to the fans when they want the manager sacked. He just has to stick with it, and help the manager! But that is something that doesn't really help at newcastle. Hope the club stick with him, as kinnear is not the way forward as he just wants us to become the new stoke/bolton just even slower. It isn't shearers fault we are in the bottom 3, that is passed managers, players and boardroom, but at least he has the balls and come and try and get us out of this shit that we have finally arrived in!!

I think he should stay on after this season and hopefully show us what he can do, if we are in the prem or not. Personally i think he should have more then one season to show what he can do, one season is nothing, you need to show to players that the manager is here for the long haul and not just going to be sacked after 4-5 bad games. He needs time (not 1 season, look at roeder, was good in first season got us in europe then just died the next) to build the team, bring in new players meld them into the team. Get rid of the dead wood. He has already shown that he is prepared to drop players in bad form, change the system not just keep it 4-4-2 no matter what. We were much better in the second half against spuds, he just needs to get us playing like that more often and for the whole match.

I didnt agree with guthrie being left on bench, mainly because of the system we changed into when viduka and martins came on. But smudge had a alright game compared to the others in midfield. Also didnt agree with strolla being on the bench, fair enough he has been playing with injuries to help the cause, but he is useless drop him give him a rest and tell him to go read "football for dummies"!! But it is early days and he is going to make mistakes all managers do. As someone has already mentioned everton have stuck with moyes and look at them now. Aston villa could have sacked MON, he had some dreadful results in his first season, but now he is taking on the Top 4.

This club needs stability and that ain't going to happen sacking all the new managers. Ashley has to grap his balls (if there is any) and not listen to the fans when they want the manager sacked. He just has to stick with it, and help the manager! But that is something that doesn't really help at newcastle. Hope the club stick with him, as kinnear is not the way forward as he just wants us to become the new stoke/bolton just even slower. It isn't shearers fault we are in the bottom 3, that is passed managers, players and boardroom, but at least he has the balls and come and try and get us out of this shit that we have finally arrived in!!

So... you think Ashley should grow a pair and soldier on with Kinnear like he has been doing? Or, on reflection, do you think the fans may have a point about Kinnear, Souness and Roeder?

Roeder was in charge for fourteen months and never saw a full season, by the way.

Guest Schmocky

By roeder I meant he had a good run in at end of season and got given job, when we should have gotten a more experienced manager in as i never thought he was up to the job, where as i think given the time and patience i think shearer could start to turn the club around. Big sam said he was wanting 3-4 years to get the club back on track and i agree that there has been so much damage done to our club that we cant expect top 4-6 for a few good years, as long as we stick by one manager and not chopping and changing.

The fans do have a point about the 3 you say, but I meant the board are far to happy just to listen straight away to make the fans happy and replace the manager to make them happy for a few mouths till he starts screwing up and just keep sacking managers replacing them with crap ones again. I just mean if he gives shearer the job, he has to stick with him, back him even after a bad string of games.

That rant makes sense in my head, sorry if it doesnt to everyone else.

Ashley needs Shearer to stay on. If we go down Shearer is one of the few people who will be able to keep the club united. If Shearer does not stay on the club will be back were it was pre Sir john Hall days. We will have little or no chance of getting Promotion.

If he stays he may keep the club united, he would get the fans backing, also what would be important to Ashley he may get more backing from local business,

The club and Ashley need Shearer to stay.

Is Shearer a good enough manager to get us back were we want to be. I do not know I only hope he is around long enough to prove it one way or another.

By roeder I meant he had a good run in at end of season and got given job, when we should have gotten a more experienced manager in as i never thought he was up to the job, where as i think given the time and patience i think shearer could start to turn the club around. Big sam said he was wanting 3-4 years to get the club back on track and i agree that there has been so much damage done to our club that we cant expect top 4-6 for a few good years, as long as we stick by one manager and not chopping and changing.

The fans do have a point about the 3 you say, but I meant the board are far to happy just to listen straight away to make the fans happy and replace the manager to make them happy for a few mouths till he starts screwing up and just keep sacking managers replacing them with crap ones again. I just mean if he gives shearer the job, he has to stick with him, back him even after a bad string of games.

I understand a lot of your basic points, I just get wound up when things are said that can be portrayed as the supporters being to blame for things that have gone on at the club. We get the press effectively suggesting the club would be better off for having Souness/Roeder/Kinnear in charge for several years. Meanwhile, it's also said that supporters have had loads of power over the hirings and firings ('they wanted Roeder', 'they forced him out of the club', 'fickle' etc.) when if anything we've been ignored as a rule - we wouldn't have had half the managers we've had in the first place if things had been otherwise.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd be pretty happy to give Shearer some time, now that I've had a look at him. There'd be others that I'd give no time at all to (see Kinnear). I think there shouldn't be any general rules with appointments. I think the masses should be listened to when they're right and ignored when they're wrong. I think managers should be given more time if it's reasonable to believe they'll come good, even if things aren't immediately brilliant - and sacked at once if there's no prospect of improvement (Souness should've gone before he came). Judgement calls - they're a subjective business.

Guest Schmocky

I understand a lot of your basic points, I just get wound up when things are said that can be portrayed as the supporters being to blame for things that have gone on at the club. We get the press effectively suggesting the club would be better off for having Souness/Roeder/Kinnear in charge for several years. Meanwhile, it's also said that supporters have had loads of power over the hirings and firings ('they wanted Roeder', 'they forced him out of the club', 'fickle' etc.) when if anything we've been ignored as a rule - we wouldn't have had half the managers we've had in the first place if things had been otherwise.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd be pretty happy to give Shearer some time, now that I've had a look at him. There'd be others that I'd give no time at all to (see Kinnear). I think there shouldn't be any general rules with appointments. I think the masses should be listened to when they're right and ignored when they're wrong. I think managers should be given more time if it's reasonable to believe they'll come good, even if things aren't immediately brilliant - and sacked at once if there's no prospect of improvement (Souness should've gone before he came). Judgement calls - they're a subjective business.

You have said what i was trying but kind of failed to say  O0

• 3 years later...