Shearer long term?

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody think it could be an advantage with him not being retired for long.

In the fact that he might have a bit more of an idea who he would like in because of who he didn't like playing against and stuff like that?

I think it's more of an advantage he's got an executive box at St James' so he'll know just what to expect from this shower of shite.

Yeah I want him to stay here until at least the end of next season. Imo, give him a full season, if he does terribly then fair enough goodbye Alan, but if he does anywhere from well to sort of bad, then keep him on. Need stability, have some faith in a manager and not expect him to fix us instantly.

Fuck knows, depends how he does. I know it's only eight games but that still should be enough to start forming some ideas.

Totally agree with Phil though, the last thing we need is yet more messing around hiring and firing. Hopefully Shearer will do the business and we can give him a proper contract and move forward.

In the fact that he might have a bit more of an idea who he would like in because of who he didn't like playing against and stuff like that?

I think it's more of an advantage he's got an executive box at St James' so he'll know just what to expect from this shower of s****.

Agree with this.  Whilst the alleged "experts" suggest it would have been better to bring in an experienced manager, they would already have had a perceived (and probably wrong) idea of the club and what the problems are which are likely to have been very different to the views held up here.

I think the fact that Shearer will have seen all of the games either from his box or the TV studio and will have all the inside information from Harper, Owen and Butt and that he knows the club and supporters, means that he will at least have a clear idea of what is needed.  Whether he can achieve that in 8 games is another matter.

Looking forward to seeing who will be in the team on Saturday.

i will decide once the 8 games has passed, not only on whether we stay up or not.. but more on how he has the team playing (boring defensive crap and just grind out results. or positive attacking .. but defensive when needed)

Guest optimistic nit

shearer is the only person who could possibly stop it going for longer than 8 games imo. even if we get relegated he will be backed because of who he is and because its no fault of his own that we are in the position we are now. dropping shearer for kinnear at the end of the season would destroy ashley in newcastle for ever imo.

8 games wont tell us whether shearer will be a good manager whether we win all 8, lose all 8, or somewhere in between, so imo its yes regardless.

I think this is great news! I hope shearer will be our manager for many years to come. If we should go down, i personally hope he will continue as our manager! A year in the championship will definitely tell us what his potential as a manager is.

Also very happy to hear wise leave....hopefully this is an indication that shearer knows the exactly set-up he wants....he must have called for some changes before taking the job.

Whatever style of football we play in the next 8 matches it shouldn´t be used to judge shearer´s managerial abilities....all i hope is that he manage to motivate the players so that they deliver a good fight in the relegation battle. This is no time tactical experiments! Its all about fight, fight and more fight!

We have to remember that our squad is in the worst condition for many many years......at least 7-9 players should leave (imo)......im sure Alan can see that as well.

I think he will stay no matter how we finish the season.....He needs at least 3 years in charge before he has the squad he wants (i we stay up that is).....only Sir B. has managed to stay that long in recent time.....and that is another reason for all the silly seasons we had!

stability[b must be the key word! Hopefully he will turn out to be the newcastle version of a D. Moyes and by time wenger or Sir Alex :snod:

I believe this could be the turning point for us...even if we should go down!I think ashley knows that this is his last chance and have accepted to go all in on shearer! WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY...I FELL POSITIVE....it should have happened at least a month ago though!

imagine a championship side something like this:

Harper

Beye/          Taylor      (Kadar)/Edgar      (Tozer)/Enrique             

Raylor

Løvenkrands/ Guthrie/(Vuckic)/Nolan  (jonas)/Løvenkrands

Raylor                       

Caroll / (Ranger)  / Xisco

you think our championship could be something like that plus some new faces?

All I want is for a chance to build a proper fucking TEAM, not a ragbag of mercenaries, old age pensioners and Sunday league teenagers.

I'm delighted we've got Big Al until the season ends, and I hope that it proves to be a successful endeavour for us all.

I'm just sick of the managerial merry-go-round, the concomitant lack of team development, team ethos, fluidity of play, possession, aggression and passion on the ball and in the game...I'd love Shearer to be given a proper shot at it...rip it up and start again but this time do it right.

All I want is for a chance to build a proper f***ing TEAM, not a ragbag of mercenaries, old age pensioners and Sunday league teenagers.

This is what worries me most.  I was thinking the other day, I'd hate our team in a few years full of people who couldn't give a ****, and just go through the motions.

This won't happen under Shearer.

All I want is for a chance to build a proper f***ing TEAM, not a ragbag of mercenaries, old age pensioners and Sunday league teenagers.

I'm delighted we've got Big Al until the season ends, and I hope that it proves to be a successful endeavour for us all.

I'm just sick of the managerial merry-go-round, the concomitant lack of team development, team ethos, fluidity of play, possession, aggression and passion on the ball and in the game...I'd love Shearer to be given a proper shot at it...rip it up and start again but this time do it right.

This!

Alan Shearer was always going to be the manager of Newcastle one day.

He's in the hot seat now, lets hope he makes a successful go of it.

If it doesn't work out , at least we will have got the shadow of Shearer out of the way and will be able to move on without having his name cropping up to be the next manager every 5 minutes..

Couldn't of said any better myself Wally. This is exactly right.

I think it's more of an advantage he's got an executive box at St James' so he'll know just what to expect from this shower of s****.

Agree with this.  Whilst the alleged "experts" suggest it would have been better to bring in an experienced manager, they would already have had a perceived (and probably wrong) idea of the club and what the problems are which are likely to have been very different to the views held up here.

I think the fact that Shearer will have seen all of the games either from his box or the TV studio and will have all the inside information from Harper, Owen and Butt and that he knows the club and supporters, means that he will at least have a clear idea of what is needed.  Whether he can achieve that in 8 games is another matter.

Looking forward to seeing who will be in the team on Saturday.

Good points from Wallace and BT.

It's so obvious he will be here for the long term, other wise he would just stick with Houghton as his sidekick, instead he brings in Dowie as his assistant, which I have to say surprised me a bit!, as I would have thought Rob Lee would have been his obvious choice.

I go along with the theory that there is probably an investor waiting to buy into the club and Shearer might have been sounded out to be the next manager. By coming in early he is just making sure that the club is still in a position for him to manage in the Premier. There were strong rumours of a buyer being set to appoint Shearer when the club was for sale before Christmas, and the Wise exit stories have been circulating for some time now as well.

The choice of staff should give us some idea of how long he really intends on staying, if he takes people from other jobs at decent clubs, then they aint coming for just 8 games.

That is a very good point and i must say great appointment if it is for the long term but Ashley needs to change how he intends to run the club in the transfer market etc if we are going to compete at the highest level and surely if big Al stays that will be the case .