Decisions, decisions

Guest firetotheworks

Guest Howaythetoon

Hottiger wasn't too bad, tidy player from what I remember. Considering what we paid for him he did a decent job I thought.

Hottiger wasn't too bad, tidy player from what I remember. Considering what we paid for him he did a decent job I thought.

Ye, he was ok.

I should have put Didier Domi in there, should never have let him go back to PSG, I thought he was class!

Selling Aaron Hughes.

Really?

Not the best of players, but a good utility player. The football equivalent of Mario in Mario Kart, average at everything. Plus, he loved playing for us.

This is where we @ NUFC fall down as he is a centre half.

Pearce was very solid and still good enough. Can't remember who it was against but I remember him scoring a pen for us in a shootout and giving the keeper the wanker sign after it.

I liked Hughes, but when he flopped at Villa I thought to myself, maybe I only liked him because he played for us, maybe he actually was shite! ... As it turned out, I was right as he is proving at Fulham now, that he is actually the player I thought.

Worst

letting Dalglish dismantle Keegan's team and giving him money to spend on absolute dross.

Best

SJH going for broke and getting KK Shearer.

He did buy us some canny players though that were the spine of the team for a good few years.

true.  I'm still mentally scarred with the names of Franck Dumas Stephane Guivarc'h.  Not to mention the bizarre decisions to sign the ageing Stuart Pearce, John Barnes and Ian Rush.

I thought Dumas was a Gullit signing at the same time as Goma and Marcelinho.

As for Hottiger, I always liked him. Good player, pretty sure we made a profit on him too.

Souness instead of anyone else.

The single costliest decision in terms of this club.  There are many decisions after this point that made things worse, but Souness is where the downfall began.  It hasn't been said in a few years, but f*** SOUNESS.  What a useless fucker he was.

50 mill on emre, owen, luque, boumsong. k cya europe

wonder what that figures amounts to if you include wages, given they've all returned very very little on the pitch

could be the costliest money ever spent, with the probable exception of o'blarneys ridiculous spree at leeds

The annual wage bill for that lot was probably about £13 million or so  :sadnod:

Souness was an absolute disaster without doubt. And some of the players he bought in were utter dross. 

Although there's conflicting evidence on how much he had to do with the Owen deal, and some strong evidence that he had nothing much to do with the Luque deal (both from Souness and the player himself). None of which alters the fact that someone made a decision to spend £26 million on two players who, in hindsight and for different reasons, haven't delivered anything close to value for money.   

Ye, he was ok.

I should have put Didier Domi in there, should never have let him go back to PSG, I thought he was class!

Class act, but he went AWOL iirc. We didn't really have much choice with that one. I've got a feeling his career went a bit Bernard after leaving Newcastle.

Ye, he was ok.

Class act, but he went AWOL iirc. We didn't really have much choice with that one. I've got a feeling his career went a bit Bernard after leaving Newcastle.

At Olympiakos these days, dunno if he plays much

Argentina taking off Riquelme vs Germany in WC06 is probably the worst tactical decision I've ever witnessed.

I've said before, Pekerman pretty much singlehandely robbed his own team of the World Cup that day, or at least a very good chance of going on to win it.

Went 1-0 up just before half time, second half they were looking very comfortable. But at 1-0 you're never safe, any idiot knows that.

Argie keeper went off injured, that was one sub down but no real harm. Then he takes off Riquelme, the guy on the team that pretty much everything goes through. Obviously the plan is to sit back and defend, risky strategy but at least if you concede a goal you've got Messi on the bench to try and go on the offensive again if needed.

Then with ten minutes to go he takes off Crespo and puts on Cruz, straight swap. Final sub pretty much wasted in a lame attempt to use up a few seconds.

Inevitably, Germany equalise and send it to extra time and ultimately penalties. And in a win or go home match the Argentinians have easily their two best players sitting on the bench throughout extra time, powerless to effect the outcome.

Hands down the worst display of in game management I've ever seen, and one I doubt I'll ever see topped.

Appointing Keegan the second time has to be one of the worst decision the club has ever made, surely? I love the man but Christ - one of the biggest belly-ups ever, that. It was never going to work out in the long-term, and a football man would be able to recognise that. A fair few of us here knew it was coming (i didn't, i was amongst the other 90% who were shrouded in sentiment and excitement - the King was back). If we go down then that was the pivotal point. Aye a lot of shit had happened before but Ashley coming in was a new chapter, and we could have gone onto successful things having sacked Allardyce.

Guest Howaythetoon

Appointing Keegan the second time has to be one of the worst decision the club has ever made, surely? I love the man but Christ - one of the biggest belly-ups ever, that. It was never going to work out in the long-term, and a football man would be able to recognise that. A fair few of us here knew it was coming (i didn't, i was amongst the other 90% who were shrouded in sentiment and excitement - the King was back). If we go down then that was the pivotal point. Aye a lot of s*** had happened before but Ashley coming in was a new chapter, and we could have gone onto successful things having sacked Allardyce.

There is a strong argument that KK saved us from going down last season so in that context it was a very good decision, that's if you're of the opinion that we were heading down under Big Sam.

Dumas? I thought him and Goma were good players who played well for us in their brief spell at the club.

Appointing Keegan the second time has to be one of the worst decision the club has ever made, surely? I love the man but Christ - one of the biggest belly-ups ever, that. It was never going to work out in the long-term, and a football man would be able to recognise that. A fair few of us here knew it was coming (i didn't, i was amongst the other 90% who were shrouded in sentiment and excitement - the King was back). If we go down then that was the pivotal point. Aye a lot of s*** had happened before but Ashley coming in was a new chapter, and we could have gone onto successful things having sacked Allardyce.

Revival last season has been forgotten already?

He left after 2 league games this season transfer window was shut.  Was hardly the worst timing ever.  Ashley had all season to find someone more than adequate.  Keegan left us in a better position then we were.

Personally, i think there was no way we were going down last season. Even if Allardyce had stayed for the majority. Looking back, i wasn't sad to see Allardyce go... but appointing Keegan was a decision that left the cronies at the top massively out of their depth. 1, they couldn't handle him when he was manager. 2, they couldn't handle the backlash that would happen if he ever left. Both of those things happened and now we're on the brink of relegation.

I absolutely loved us in that little phase towards the end of last season, and tbh, i don't think i've ever been more excited as a Newcastle fan. But with the benefit of hindsight - it was a ridiculous appointment that was made for some wrong reasons.

Ooo, another terrible one - signing Duff. I've said this before recently; i genuinely think that was one of the worst signings of this century. Not only cos he's wank, but cos of the background to the signing. It was blatantly obvious he hadn't been watched or anything; just a player with a reputation going on the cheap. We were like flies round shit.

Personally, i think there was no way we were going down last season. Even if Allardyce had stayed for the majority. Looking back, i wasn't sad to see Allardyce go... but appointing Keegan was a decision that left the cronies at the top massively out of their depth. 1, they couldn't handle him when he was manager. 2, they couldn't handle the backlash that would happen if he ever left. Both of those things happened and now we're on the brink of relegation.

I absolutely loved us in that little phase towards the end of last season, and tbh, i don't think i've ever been more excited as a Newcastle fan. But with the benefit of hindsight - it was a ridiculous appointment that was made for some wrong reasons.

He did leave us in a better position though, so that reason alone really shouldnt make it 'one of the worst ever' the events that followed weren't orchestrated by Keegan.  Ashley seeing the first excuse to bail out trying make a profit [lets not forget the super poor communication with fans that fanned the flames] and not appointing a permanent manager are all more significant imo.

Guest neesy111

There is a strong argument that KK saved us from going down last season so in that context it was a very good decision, that's if you're of the opinion that we were heading down under Big Sam.

Dumas? I thought him and Goma were good players who played well for us in their brief spell at the club.

i'm in both arguement's on this point, we we're heading down with big sam, but appointing keegan was not the answer

i'm in both arguement's on this point, we we're heading down with big sam, but appointing keegan was not the answer

We were heading down and we hired a guy to save us, he saved us.  Now it was a bad decision?