Shay Given - Games are running out for Newcastle

NG32

agree with NE5. bit of a wierd analogy but if the pub i work became short staffed and then someone decided to offer me a better job, i wouldnt feel any loyalty to them  :lol: especially as theyre taxing me at 20% when i only work 1 day a week the bastards

What if the pub that you had worked in for ten years wasn't really short staffed though, and you were the best barman there. And all of a sudden a bar which was just about the same as the bar you were working in attracted your attention as they had been taken over by a rich businessman. So you go and work there instead, after making noises in public that you would really like to work there etc and that you couldn't cope working in the pub you were currently at. So off you toddle to the new pub, and they are still kinda "meh", and you see your old place of work slowly going down the pan. You knew that had you stayed at the pub then there could have been the chance that the pub wouldn't go under, after all you were the best barman there, and had loads of influence and kept up the morale of other workers etc. Would you go into the pub that was going under and say to all the regulars (who loved the pub and couldn't imagine drinking anywhere else) "I am now at this other pub, but I hope to God you don't go under." and not expect some of the regulars to say "f*** off you t***, you walked away from us when we needed you."

and if the pub you left was rapidly heading down the tubes faster than you can say "Weatherspoons" ? And all the staff who you left behind, and the customers, knew it ?

and if you could have had the chance to keep the pub going for a while longer just by staying for a few more months? Would you still walk into that pub and say "Sorry like lads."

:lol: ill keep my mouth shut in future.

even then though i cant hold much grudge to Shay, especially not for saying "I hope NUFC stay up". Just because he left its because he felt a move to man city would be a step up in his career. he obviously still gives a shit. Its like if a youth player from hereford supported hereford united all his life, he would have to leave to play at the highest level and may have to fight the management to be able to get his way. im not going to begrudge shay that although i wish he had gone in the usmmer.

Guest toonlass

If it wasn't for the immense wages he is probably on then I would actually feel a bit sorry for Shay.

Finally decides to move, leaves the Newcastle rollercoaster only to end up in the arguably even more embarrassing Man City non-revolution.

Can't fathom why he moved (to City), surely if it was all about the money he would have left a few years ago? Very odd decision IMO.

If you read dcmk's post it becomes crystal clear. Man Citeh are a better club apparantly.

Give me a couple of valid reasons why we are a better club?  Am i missing something, i feel i am?

They are a better club despite tonight being the first time in 28 years that they have been this far in Europe? And they only got into this competition because they came top of the Fair Play league? And the owners are there tonight and could sack Mark Hughes at anytime.

If it wasn't for the immense wages he is probably on then I would actually feel a bit sorry for Shay.

Finally decides to move, leaves the Newcastle rollercoaster only to end up in the arguably even more embarrassing Man City non-revolution.

Can't fathom why he moved (to City), surely if it was all about the money he would have left a few years ago? Very odd decision IMO.

Wasn't he offered twice the wages he was getting here? No other club (even in the top 4) would offer him that. It was probably a case of come now or don't come at all.

And wasn't his father telling people (in Donegal) in November that he had negotiated a move to Man City (that was on the Man City forum back in November when it became news on there).

Aye, cheers Shay.  We'll take your lovely words of concern for us and use them as a nice base to build our promotion campagin on next year.  Much more useful than having you in goal for us for the last four and a half months of this campaign.  Cheers for throwing such a hissy fit that any power that we had regarding the transfer was gone and we got nowhere near your real value in the transfer.

Hey I don't mind admitting that I hate seeing Shay in a Man Citeh shirt. It feels so odd to see him turning out for another team. But like Jayson says his actions contradict his words.

now then toonlass............shades of Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley here, wouldn't you agree ? Hasn't happened for a number of years, wouldn't you agree ?

Losing Shay isn't even close to losing any of those three. Those guys were the equivalent of Rooney, outrageously talented players at their peak that come along once in a decade in England. Given is a fine 33 yr old shot stopper who doesn't command his penalty area. He was a great keeper for us but he wasn't anywhere near as good as our hero worship led him to believe. It all went to his head in the end, and now I look forward to the prospect of seeing Krul or Forster show their class when they get their chance while he walks the slums of Manchester.

Hey I don't mind admitting that I hate seeing Shay in a Man Citeh shirt. It feels so odd to see him turning out for another team. But like Jayson says his actions contradict his words.

now then toonlass............shades of Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley here, wouldn't you agree ? Hasn't happened for a number of years, wouldn't you agree ?

Losing Shay isn't even close to losing any of those three. Those guys were the equivalent of Rooney, outrageously talented players at their peak that come along once in a decade in England. Given is a fine 33 yr old shot stopper who doesn't command his penalty area. He was a great keeper for us but he wasn't anywhere near as good as our hero worship led him to believe. It all went to his head in the end, and now I look forward to the prospect of seeing Krul or Forster show their class when they get their chance while he walks the slums of Manchester.

Other than the fact he was a fabric of the club..........

What I don't get about you, and people like you, who say you experienced all of this ie the sales of Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle....then slate the board who put an end to it.

The conclusion I draw, is in the word "say"

And, the simple fact is, now they have gone they have been replaced by a new owner who appears to have the unambitious attitude of the owners pre-1992

Your last comment smacks of the rubbish that was spouted when people said that Ian Bogie would replace Gazza, and hilariously thought we would have a good season the year after selling him and replacing him with 3 "cheaper players". Remind you of anything ?

Fact is, Shay Given wanted to leave Newcastle United for no other reason that he realised the club was being run by an owner taking it nowhere. Just like Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle, this didn't happen under the Halls and Shepherd, we signed players because they saw us as a club trying to win things.

Whether you like this or not, its absolutely true.

Guest Heneage

He said the other day he realises that Man City won't be built in a day. To me that just makes it worse. The idea of his move was to go up and challenge. Something they didn't do again tonight. They could easily have been beaten by 2 or 3. He left under a cloud.

Bizarre.

Shay stuck with us through many years of mid-table mediocrity even though he could have easily got into most Top 4 squads. He's not a Newcastle fan, he isn't required to stay with us forever, he left for a better offer as a lot of people do in their jobs. He wants to be playing Premier League football next season, I can hardly blame him. Shay gave us excellent service when he was here, he was a model professional, let's remember that instead of making childish jibes about why he left; he left probably a good few years later than he rationally should have. Players are ultimately in it for themselves, they owe very little to us- I hope he has a decent career.

^Agree totally Aphrodite.

The amount of venom Shay is getting here is absurd.

We'd have been relegated on more than one occasion if it wasn't for this man yet suddenly he's a coward?

Guest Heneage

Bizarre.

Shay stuck with us through many years of mid-table mediocrity even though he could have easily got into most Top 4 squads. He's not a Newcastle fan, he isn't required to stay with us forever, he left for a better offer as a lot of people do in their jobs. He wants to be playing Premier League football next season, I can hardly blame him. Shay gave us excellent service when he was here, he was a model professional, let's remember that instead of making childish jibes about why he left; he left probably a good few years later than he rationally should have. Players are ultimately in it for themselves, they owe very little to us- I hope he has a decent career.

Honestly, if he'd gone top four even top 6 there'd not have been a peep.

Guest KeithKettleborough

I imagine it was, as most of footballing decisions are these days, to do with money. My view is that he stayed for so long because he was probably on a bigger salary than a move somewhere else would have given him. Also he was in a position where he knew that whenever he was injured, no matter how well his replacement played, i.e . Harper,  he would get his place back almost immediately.

When Man City were taken over, the parameters changed and Given discovered that he could now be bought by a far richer club paying bigger wages. Talk of going to improve his chances of winning things went out of the window when he went to City, as there was no assurance that they would get to that position while Given was still a decent keeper. (maybe 3-4 seasons before the reflexes start to decline?) If he had gone to say Arsenal, as was often rumoured, then I could have sympathised a little with his move as it would have seemed to be to try and win things before he retires. However I don't think this was the reason he now plays for City and another year older without the success he supposedly left for.

Finally... not the wisest of moves to offer sympathy as we struggle on to stay up without him. Bit like a government minister sympathising at the Hillsborough memorial service. If said with the Toon crowd listening, would have gotten a similar response actually and has been shown on here, isn't generally appreciated

Some people seem to have a weird masochistic love affair with Given.

"Oh yes! Hurt us Shay! We're a s*** club, we're not worthy!"

Nope, you missed the point. 

Aye, cheers Shay.  We'll take your lovely words of concern for us and use them as a nice base to build our promotion campagin on next year.  Much more useful than having you in goal for us for the last four and a half months of this campaign.  Cheers for throwing such a hissy fit that any power that we had regarding the transfer was gone and we got nowhere near your real value in the transfer.

If it was that straight forward, hissy fit etc why was he looking to extend his stay in December?

If we do stay up it will be interesting to see what reception he gets When City come here next season, he was loved as much as Shearer but he wanted away, was not just a case of Ashley selling him from under us. I think he will get a fright, some will cheer but I bet there will be clear booing too.

If we do stay up it will be interesting to see what reception he gets When City come here next season, he was loved as much as Shearer but he wanted away, was not just a case of Ashley selling him from under us. I think he will get a fright, some will cheer but I bet there will be clear booing too.

absolutely not by me

Personally, I will boo him, if we manage to get out of this mess.

What else is he going to be expecting? In our time of need he jumps ship and then comes out with all this bollocks in the media!

Balls to him, you made your bed, now lie in it, Shay.

He said the other day he realises that Man City won't be built in a day. To me that just makes it worse. The idea of his move was to go up and challenge. Something they didn't do again tonight. They could easily have been beaten by 2 or 3. He left under a cloud.

This is nonsense - at least he knows Man C WILL be built ; can you be so sure that NUFC will progress if Ashley remains as owner & Shearer DOESN'T stay beyond this season..??

Shay was well within his rights to move on because he saw NUFC going nowhere but the Fizzy League, and even if the club were to survive, he wasn't happy with the way it was being run - as any sensible person would recognize.....

Some absolute pricks in this thread, I know you are entitled to your own opinion and all, but stuff like this makes me realise how fickle and rubbish Newcastle fans generally are and that we probably deserve Championship football. :(