Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

No chance before this season started did I think Harper should be dropped, but honestly so far he's been our weak link. I feel no confidence in him, just like our players and its almost like any decent shot on target is a goal for the opposition. I was crossing fingers yesterday when I heard he broke his nose. No long term injury, just giving Krul a chance in the prem was my thoughts.

:lol:

Krul's shown himself to be a good shot stopper but I'm not yet convinced by his all round game. Last season against Huddersfield in the cup at SJP, he was absolutely all over the place.

That's a year ago and while his allround game doesnt seem to be the best, Harpers doest either. Every time Harper leaves the line is a liability.

Krul's shown himself to be a good shot stopper but I'm not yet convinced by his all round game. Last season against Huddersfield in the cup at SJP, he was absolutely all over the place.

That's a year ago and while his allround game doesnt seem to be the best, Harpers doest either. Every time Harper leaves the line is a liability.

It is a year ago but how many appearances has he made since then? He needs games but if anyone's expecting him to start in the Premier League and be perfect from the off, they're very naive.

Guest firetotheworks

I wonder if now that Harper is playing regularly he regrets not playing more regularly when he was actually was a very, very good keeper.

Probably true, but Krul will only improve if he gets games.

As I said many times, he'll do the odd mistake, but so will Harper. The difference is, Krul will make some world class save here and there and will improve, while Harper won't be able to get any better (the opposite thing will happen).

As I said many times, he'll do the odd mistake, but so will Harper. The difference is, Krul will make some world class save here and there and will improve, while Harper won't be able to get any better (the opposite thing will happen).

And Krul will distribute the ball bloody quicker

That's an advantage, too, even if it's only a little one.

Think the best thing would be to keep Harper as first choice this season, let Forster take over as #1 next season with Harper back to the bench and Krul out on loan for the season then dump Harper the season after that.

The way Harper gets slagged off every single time we concede is f***ing embarrassing.

:nods:

:thup:

Act as if Krul is some sort of unstoppable machine.

No one at all has suggested that, but Harper is undoubtably a weak link and to question people who'd prefer a young keeper who's probably of a similar standard now anyway, with the potential to be even better, is worse imo.

Guest localhero87

The way Harper gets slagged off every single time we concede is f***ing embarrassing.

absolutely embarrassing yep.

Its like people think Tim Krul is literally a brick wall. He's had his fair share of bad games even as a backup keeper. I really rate Krul and want him to be our no.1, but I don't think Krul would have done ANYTHING better than Harper at any point in the three prem games we've played this season.

Its like people think Tim Krul is literally a brick wall. He's had his fair share of bad games even as a backup keeper. I really rate Krul and want him to be our no.1, but I don't think Krul would have done ANYTHING better than Harper at any point in the three prem games we've played this season.

He would have kicked better....

He would have kicked better....

Probably not acted like a rash teenager and come flying out giving a penalty away. Saying that due to Harper's amateur goalkeeping the pen miss happened and was the catalyst we needed to win the game.

I'm positive that Krul wouldn't have given away the penalty against Villa.

Guest localhero87

He'd have reacted better for the Wolves goal yesterday, not saying he would have saved it, but Harps just sat down

He definitely wouldnt have saved it. A well taken volley blasted from 6 yards out. No chance. The scorelines would have been the same at best.

I'd LOVE to have the same faith in a young reserve keeper being the best goalkeeper in Premiership history that many hold on this forum. Unfortunately I watch the games though.

For the first time ever I got no confidence about the goalkeeper position whats so ever. I´m really scared every time the opposition gets close to goal every time. The way I sees it now is that Harper won´t save us, but he can cost us.

Right now it just feels like he does´t even try.

Guest localhero87

i have 100% confidence in our keepers. Always have and nothing has changed. Maybe I'm just not as cynical.