Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

For all Colocinni's faults last season, his bottle was never, ever a problem. Played more than anyone and never, ever hid.

Exactly. Some people don't understand the difference between 'bottling it' and just simply being outplayed through ability.

For a good example of 'bottling it', see Nolan in any of the away games he played in last season. Stoke in particular.

How was Colo a bottler last season?

His bottle went when we played the big teams. Check the results, re-read the match reports.

Like it did against Man U first game of the season, what utter tripe.

It was downhill for everyone & the club after that game you plonker.

And?

We're talking about a guy who tried lobbing the keeper from 40 yards in a world cup quarter-final. I refuse to think for one second that his 'bottle' went against the might of Liverpool and Arsenal. :rolleyes:

His bottle went when we played the big teams. Check the results, re-read the match reports.

And?

We're talking about a guy who tried lobbing the keeper from 40 yards in a world cup quarter-final. I refuse to think for one second that his 'bottle' went against the might of Liverpool and Arsenal. :rolleyes:

That's nothing. Guivarc'h could lob the keeper and the goal frame from a yard out in a world cup final.

And?

That's nothing. Guivarc'h could lob the keeper and the goal frame from a yard out in a world cup final.

:lol:

And?

He capitulated mentally & physically in front of us ffs. As I said elsewhere I hope a year down rebuilds his shattered confidence.  Your such a fanboy for certain players it is like you have never left behind that schoolboy mentality which is nice & refreshing in one  way but gets fucking boring at times.

I'm no fanboy, I was critical of Colo last season. But saying he lost his 'bottle' is what i'd expect from the lazy bastards at the Thompson House. Nowt wrong with his bottle, he just found it difficult to adapt last season.

For all Colocinni's faults last season, his bottle was never, ever a problem. Played more than anyone and never, ever hid.

Check his career record out he is indestructible. We could do with more players built like him.  But he went missing in games.

I'm no fanboy

Of course you are in fact you are the anti-Jayson. What players he likes you hate with a passion & vice-versa.

:lol:

The anti-intelligentthought you mean.

I dont dislike Colo anymore, id be happy for him to do well if hes more confident now.

He struggled more against the lower sides with the bruisers up front tbh.

Spot on. Ricardo Fuller, Marlon King, Ishmael Miller and Emile Heskey are good examples.

Carlton Cole left him a nervous wreck.

Guest firetotheworks

Hahaha, I had to laugh there. I clicked on the link 'Steve shares his thoughts on Owl's leveler' and it just came up with 'ERROR'

Guest toonlass

There was one time on monday night when a ball was heading towards him (at the Gallowgate end) and he looked like he had spotted it late and ran to get it looking all like  :frantic:  Haven't seen him like that for a long time.

Lineker urges Capello to consider Newcastle keeper Harper

England legend Gary Lineker says Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper deserves World Cup consideration by Three Lions coach Fabio Capello.

In his column for the Mail on Sunday, Lineker wrote: "I wonder if Fabio Capello might take a leaf out of Bobby Robson's book by casting his eye over a player who is excelling in the Championship while rivals are floundering in the Premier League.

"Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper has been one of the main reasons his side are heading back to the top flight.

"Finding goalkeepers is a world problem because of the way the game has changed, particularly in the movement of the ball.

"I've seen even the best, like Iker Casillas and Gianluigi Buffon, have nightmares this season. So why not look at Harper? He's solid, dependable and I know Alan Shearer rates him. But as far as I have seen, he hasn't been mentioned.

"Having understudied Shay Given for years, he will not be fazed by sitting on the bench and staying focused if needed at a second's notice."