Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Havent really seem enough of Krul to say he's the answer, or should replace Harper. Granted, when Krul has played hes looked good, but he cant have played more than 10 first team games?

I'm sure Hughton will get it right.

As the saying goes; In Hughton we trust.

For us or in his career? As he spent a whole season with Falkirk a few years back.

Sorry mate, for us.

I didn't see him play while he was out on loan, so I wont pretend I have. Likewise, I didn't see him play in the reserves.

And while he does look an excellent prospect, I think maybe we are safer with Harper for now. For now.

Like I say, I trust Hughton to know what he is doing.

He'd have reacted better for the Wolves goal yesterday, not saying he would have saved it, but Harps just sat down

So what difference would it have made?

None on Saturday, but should the same situation arise again, only the finish was closer to the keeper, Krul would have stood a chance with his better reflexes and agility.

It is also true that the better the shot stopper, the smaller the goal. A less composed player more likely to cock up with a smaller target.

Its Blackpool at home then Everton away next, and I'd stick with Harper for those

The following game is Chelsea away in the cup and I'd put Krul back in for that one - I'd imagine he'll get a thorough examination there.

If he did really well then I'd let him keep his place.

Aye its well and good Krul being the better shot stopper but when he gets a rush of blood from the resulting corner and gives away a goal we're f***ed. Krul should of been loaned out ages ago. We'll probably need a new keeper in January for me.

Aye its well and good Krul being the better shot stopper but when he gets a rush of blood from the resulting corner and gives away a goal we're f***ed. Krul should of been loaned out ages ago. We'll probably need a new keeper in January for me.

I'm sure it's not that bad that we need to buy a new 'keeper!

I'm sure it's not that bad that we need to buy a new 'keeper!

End of the season then.

O0

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harsh to blame krul when the ball bounced so ridiculously.

Krul has done similar things before though...

He was dodgy at Huddersfield last year

He should have read it better, not been so rash in running out of his goal.

If it had been a league game and had cost us a goal and three points, it wouldn't be much help if we sat here going "oh well, it was a ridiculously bouncing ball"

I'm just playing devils advocate here and being as harsh on Krul as some are being on Harper.

only 5 shots on target against us this season (best record in the league), and 4 of them have went in.

I'm not one to just base a performance solely on stats, but this speaks wonders of our defence, doesn't look so good for Harps though. I'm not suggesting he should be dropped, but he doesn;t seem the same keeper as he was a couple of seasons ago, he seems to have aged very quickly.

I find it amazing how many people think they are Goalkeeping experts now on here.

I'd say there are very few football experts on here at all, what's the point?

Krul has done similar things before though...

He was dodgy at Huddersfield last year

It was at home, and dodgy isn't the word. He basically handed them 3 goals.

On the topic of goalkeepers, you can appreciate why Capello is looking at young keepers when injury strikes, but is there any justification for selecting Loach and Fielding when another keeper in Forster is in a much more prominent position and with a season of decent matchday experience.

Guest hobshobs

Krul better at cross balls than Harper.

Krul better coming off his line than Harper.

Krul better shot stopper than Harper.

Krul better reflexes than Harper.

Anybody but Harper for me.

First time since Harper was caught off his line at Anfield and chipped from the half way line he comes off his line against Aston Villa and gives away what must be one of the most needless penalties I can recall.

I think it's laughable that some people imply a 'better' keeper (Krul in their eyes) would have saved Wolves' goal. Each time it was shown on TV it was describe as a fantastic strike. I suppose Krul would definitely have saved it wouldn't he?  :rolleyes:

If Krul had been in goal, each time it was shown on TV it would be described as a fantastic save :D

Just had to :)

Krul better at cross balls than Harper.

Krul better coming off his line than Harper.

Krul better shot stopper than Harper.

Krul better reflexes than Harper.

Anybody but Harper for me.

First time since Harper was caught off his line at Anfield and chipped from the half way line he comes off his line against Aston Villa and gives away what must be one of the most needless penalties I can recall.

Krul must be better kicking the ball than harper is?  Harper is one of the worst kickers of the ball i have ever seen...

If Harper had been in goal vs Accrington then Krul would have saved both those goals. The 2 against Norwich too.

Saved the second maybes, doubt any keeper would have saved the first. Would Harper have produced those two top class saves Krul pulled off though towards the end?