Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

On the topic of goalkeepers, you can appreciate why Capello is looking at young keepers when injury strikes, but is there any justification for selecting Loach and Fielding when another keeper in Forster is in a much more prominent position and with a season of decent matchday experience.

He just called them up from the u21s, only reason they were promoted. If Forster was still eligible and in the squad for the u21s he'd have been there too. Saves taking another keeper away from club duty at short notice.

Krul better at cross balls than Harper.

Krul better coming off his line than Harper.

Krul better shot stopper than Harper.

Krul better reflexes than Harper.

Anybody but Harper for me.

First time since Harper was caught off his line at Anfield and chipped from the half way line he comes off his line against Aston Villa and gives away what must be one of the most needless penalties I can recall.

You're completely insane.

First time since Harper was caught off his line at Anfield and chipped from the half way line he comes off his line against Aston Villa and gives away what must be one of the most needless penalties I can recall.

He fucking slipped over man :lol:

Christ, it's like siege fucking mentality - "Krul's like Jesus, he can walk on water and wouldn't have slipped over" - get out Krul's fucking arse. He's played something like 4 games at first team level for us.

Christ, it's like siege fucking mentality - "Krul's like Jesus, he can walk on water and wouldn't have slipped over" - get out Krul's fucking arse. He's played something like 4 games at first team level for us.

Agreed, I like the look of Krul but he is a bit nervous and would be a gamble. I know that could pass after a while with games but then if he had a couple of howlers it could get a lot worse.

It's far from it - although I do understand why you're overcompensating to try and make your point.

He f***ing slipped over man :lol:

Christ, it's like siege f***ing mentality - "Krul's like Jesus, he can walk on water and wouldn't have slipped over" - get out Krul's f***ing arse. He's played something like 4 games at first team level for us.

It's far from it - although I do understand why you're overcompensating to try and make your point.

It certainly feels like it. Some people deliberately exageratting Harper's flaws and overhyping Krul's positives.

You'd think we'd had a baby in goal for the first three games.

Apart from Harper gathering crosses and his kicking, there is nothing else he has other Krul. 

Krul will establish himself as the number 1 sooner rather then later.

Krul is actually better at catching crosses, his height gives him a massive advantage there.

He just needs to improve his judgement and know when to and when not to come, same with rushing out for balls over the top.

If he can nail that side of his game and improve his distribution he'll become a very good goalkeeper.

Guest Tall Striker

Apart from Harper gathering crosses and his kicking, there is nothing else he has other Krul. 

Krul is actually better at catching crosses, his height gives him a massive advantage there.

He just needs to improve his judgement and know when to and when not to come, same with rushing out for balls over the top.

If he can nail that side of his game and improve his distribution he'll become a very good goalkeeper.

Agreed.

His height? There's about an inch between Harper and Krul. Harper is far better at claiming crosses.

Two inches, certainly makes a difference.

And you are wrong, Harper is better (for now) but not far better.

His handling is better but his jumping and timing of jump and point of contact let him down a little.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Or Forster, who has had more experience, and is supposed to be a good keeper.

His height? There's about an inch between Harper and Krul. Harper is far better at claiming crosses.

His handling is better but his jumping and timing of jump and point of contact let him down a little.

Eh? You just said Krul was better at catching crosses, make your mind up.

You're completely insane.

You think Harper's good at coming off his line? ??? biggest weakness of his tbh.

Eh? You just said Krul was better at catching crosses, make your mind up.

Sorry, got my words mixed up there, I'll break down what I was actually trying to say.

In terms of the technical aspect of catching the actual ball with his hands Harper is better.

In terms of the other technical aspects (jumping, timing of jump and thus catching the ball at the optimum height) Krul is better.

In terms of decision making Harper is better.

In terms of the overall technical aspect of catching a cross Krul edges it. Add in the decision making aspect and Harper currently edges it.