Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Few lads around me at the Gallowgate (at the City game) who said they wouldn't be surprised if Harper was back in goal for the next game. Can't say I'd be surprised if he was called back as 1st choice keeper now. Krul has shown some good ability, and looks promising, but you can see what the lack of football for 3 years has done to his decision making and overall confidence once a mistake is made.

If Harper had made some of the mistakes Krul's made in the last few games he'd have been slaughtered on here. Every time Krul made a save it was "Harper wouldn't have saved that". Well Harper wouldn't have dropped some of those bollocks Krul has. Most teams rotate their keepers.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Its not surprising, though. Krul has fulfilled his role as understudy, and is now stepping aside since the 1st choice keeper is back. Might not be 'right', but happens all the time - just ask Harper.

Krul's been fairly good, minus a few mistakes, but it is harsh on the lad.

I think he's protecting him. He's not a 32 year old professional, regardless of whether he's actually been to blame of recent or not, the finger has been pointed and the doubts are there with some. You take your young players out of the firing line until things calm down - you don't throw them back into the centre of the fire.

I think he's protecting him. He's not a 32 year old professional, regardless of whether he's actually been to blame of recent or not, the finger has been pointed and the doubts are there with some. You take your young players out of the firing line until things calm down - you don't throw them back into the centre of the fire.

aye, done the right thing in keeping him in after his howler  against man citeh but then to bring him out for a little, possibly putting him back in for stevenage.

aye, done the right thing in keeping him in after his howler  against man citeh but then to bring him out for a little, possibly putting him back in for stevenage.

Exactly. He got the chance to atone for his error in the Spurs game and did. Now he gets the next couple of games to rest and I agree, I think he'll be back in against Stevenage on Saturday night.

Would rather Krul stayed on but Harper's not as bad as some go on,i'm much more confident in Harper to collect a cross than Krul whereas i'm more confident in Krul to save a point blank shot. Both keepers have better qualitys than each other. At the end of the day Harps started the season as first choice keeper and i feel he's going to end it as first choice. Next season is going to be intresting goalkeeper wise with Forster back, i hope Harps does the right thing and steps aside for the two young keepers to battlle to be the clubs #1 personally i think it will be Krul with Forster back up.

Giving Krul a break will do him no harm, it will give him a rest and time to work on his game.  He's had his best run in the team and will now know what needs to work on.  His kicking is the worst part of his game so if he can improve on that he'll become a better player for it.

Guest SuperShola!

I was fucking chuffed that Harper was playing today. He was good when he needed to be and he's better to look at then Krul. 1st team keeper, Englands no.1 <3

Guest SuperShola!

For some reason I thought he looked like Ted Mosby from how I met your mother against Wigan.

He looks like a Guitar player i know.

Literally didn't put a foot wrong. It won't hurt for him and Krul to "fight for the shirt" for a while this year. Krul has looked like the pressure was getting to him and I think he might even welcome the opportunity to sit out for a few games and try to take in what he's learned over the past couple of months.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wouldn't be the worst man management in the world if Pardew's told him that he'll be number 1 in August but is just taking him out of the spotlight for a few months.

Would be if he didn't keep his word.