Should Owen be dropped?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Something I mentioned on another forum earlier on with regards to Owen.

I don't think Owen is as good a finisher as people make out.

Far too many times in the last couple of seasons he's missed too many chances that someone who was a world class finisher would have buried. Most of his goals now come from him being able to make decisions and react faster than the defenders around him. Not because of his finishing ability.

I also don't think he's mentally strong, as say someone like Shearer was. There always seems to be a nagging doubt about his own ability, he never seems to be very confident anymore when he's in those positions. Plus for some reason as well now his shot is weak as piss.

That was all true last season as well but Keegan kept faith and he scored the goals which kept us up. He's useless up front but he offers more as a midfielder than Nolan. There's an argument that Guthrie should play but he doesn't offer a goal threat and hasn't convinced in the pressure games.

We definitely need Owen playing against the likes of Burra, Pompey etc, especially in the 4-3-3. It has to be done. As last season proved.

couldn't agree more - we have 3 chances to save ourselves at home with 2 pretty un-fucking-likely shots at the unexpected away from home

now is not the time for fear; 4-3-3 with owen, viduka, martins, guthrie, jonas + a.n.o.

anything else is tantamount to the white flag imo

Guest toonlass

Yes, he has been virtually invisible. We cannot carry players, and Michael Owen is a player who has to be carried when he is not scoring. Get him off the pitch and Carroll, Oba and Viduka on.

The fact that you've quoted Superdrunk sums it all up. Michael Owen has to play for us to have a chance of staying up. Lets not forget that he was playing right wing and behind the other strikers for large parts of the game on Sunday, so it's not really a suprise the areas where he touched the ball in that diagram.

I apologise for saying again what I have been saying for the past 18 months if not longer.

:rolleyes: at ths thread.

There's no way he should be dropped. Its typical of the 'what have you done for me lately' brigade.  He's still coming back from injury remember.

The team is s*** and can create nothing for Owen its as simple as that, were he playing in a top 6 team he would be banging them in for fun.

He's gonna be a vital component in the upcoming home games where we can hopefully create some chances for him.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Owen is one of the few players left in our squad who can control a football and pass over 5 yards to a player on our team. I really wish that was a joke, but it's true and for that reason he should be played with our better quality attacking players (Martins, Viduka, Jonas). If we didn't have such a vast lack of quality in the centre of the field (Nolan/Butt), and could keep possession for more than 2 passes, the quality of these attacking players would shine through.

I really disagree with that. Owen has never been a technically gifted player. His touch on the ball and his passing isn't particularly good at all. In the past, he's relied on his athleticism, but now that he's lost the edge off his pace, the reality is he's just an average Premiership striker.

I keep hearing about 'the service' being poor, but it didn't seem to stop Martins getting on the end of a few chances.

bang on

If you can't see that Owen is one of our better players when it comes to retaining possession then you musn't have been watching us this season.

Yes without a doubt.

1) He can't get the service

2) He provides little or no threat on his own

3) He is s***. Gone. Finished.  :aww:

Rather have viduka/MArtins up top. The only place for owen is in AM. IF we must.

Guest firetotheworks

I have to laugh at this scapegoating, it was the same last year before Keegan rejuvenated his game and made him a constant threat, and the same kind of reactionary bollocks that some were coming out with before Robson sorted Shearers game out. Owen's not the problem, it lies deeper than that..literally, in midfield.

I have to laugh at this scapegoating, it was the same last year before Keegan rejuvenated his game and made him a constant threat, and the same kind of reactionary bollocks that some were coming out with before Robson sorted Shearers game out. Owen's not the problem, it lies deeper than that..literally, in midfield.

It's bizzare how so many people are ignoring this. The problem is getting the ball into the final third of the pitch which is what you would expect the midfield to take responsibility for. FFS Owen even looks better in midfield than our midfielders...how sad is that?

He has no service of any quality anyway, in open play or set pieces, our creativity is dreadful, even Drogba and Torres would struggle to score playing for us. The three strikers  formation does work better though and seems to give Owen a bit more energy, he also seemed to pick up once Oba came on on Sunday. I think he knows when Oba plays he has a chance of getitng onto a few rebounds or spilt shots as Oba will have a dig from any where, also withOba's pace defenders tend to pay more attention to him and Owen gets a little bit more freedom. Get the system right get quality into the box and Owen will score us goals.

The key is quality ball into the fnal third not just any old ball lumped in there for him to chase down which is currently the case.

Yes, but our current lot can't provide that.

It's about getting the best from what we have, and if we're going 4-4-2 then that means dropping Owen because Martins gives you much more shot at doing something with the level of service we can provide.

Obviously, we need to be going 4-3-3 though.

Pretty sh*t that Owen's place in a 4-4-2 system is under threat because we don't have an ounce of ability to create anything for him.

With Owen & Viduka, we'll get chances and I reckon he'll get 3 in the next 5 at least.

Guest rinaldo #18

Without a doubt, never been so sure of anything in my life, a 100% definitive YES he should be dropped.

No I've hated the guy for years. He symbolises everything wrong with the club, ridiculous transfer fee, horrible wages, shit, "big name" waste of space. His ball retention is the only part of his game we see. Not seen him have a shot for a few matches. He holds us back when he in in a front two. Carrol was more effective on Sunday by a country mile, but most of his work was sheer determination, not ability.

Guest firetotheworks

No I've hated the guy for years. He symbolises everything wrong with the club, ridiculous transfer fee, horrible wages, s***, "big name" waste of space. His ball retention is the only part of his game we see. Not seen him have a shot for a few matches. He holds us back when he in in a front two. Carrol was more effective on Sunday by a country mile, but most of his work was sheer determination, not ability.

Sorry, but that just says more about you than Owen. Your opinion on him as a player is moot if youve hated him for years.

No I've hated the guy for years. He symbolises everything wrong with the club, ridiculous transfer fee, horrible wages, s***, "big name" waste of space. His ball retention is the only part of his game we see. Not seen him have a shot for a few matches. He holds us back when he in in a front two. Carrol was more effective on Sunday by a country mile, but most of his work was sheer determination, not ability.

Sorry, but that just says more about you than Owen. Your opinion on him as a player is moot if youve hated him for years.

:lol:

Years = since he got broked.

Or the fact that all our attacking passes were aimed at his head

Yes, he has been virtually invisible. We cannot carry players, and Michael Owen is a player who has to be carried when he is not scoring. Get him off the pitch and Carroll, Oba and Viduka on.

The fact that you've quoted Superdrunk sums it all up. Michael Owen has to play for us to have a chance of staying up. Lets not forget that he was playing right wing and behind the other strikers for large parts of the game on Sunday, so it's not really a suprise the areas where he touched the ball in that diagram.

I apologise for saying again what I have been saying for the past 18 months if not longer.

:rolleyes: at ths thread.

There's no way he should be dropped. Its typical of the 'what have you done for me lately' brigade.  He's still coming back from injury remember.

The team is s*** and can create nothing for Owen its as simple as that, were he playing in a top 6 team he would be banging them in for fun.

He's gonna be a vital component in the upcoming home games where we can hopefully create some chances for him.

Coming back from what injury? It's been over a month and 5 straight games that he's started and he's looked equally shite in all those games. He's been living on his reputation for ages but everyone associated with the club seems afraid to tell it like it is, which is quite baffling since he'll be leaving the club in a couple of months.

Relegation or not, I'll be glad to see the back of him.

We don't need him. Look how many touches that Viduka had near or Spurs' penalty box in only 30 minutes of playing, and look at how many chances Oba had during that similar short amount of time. They're strikers who have a use, they have a skill (technique for Viduka, pace for Oba) which means that not everything has to be put on a plate for them. I've been banging on about Owen for ages and how he just isn't the same player he was and is someone that we cannot afford to accommodate in our team. It's because we've had to accommodate him for so long that no manager's done what's best for the club and drop this mofo to the bench.