Should Owen be dropped?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

My greatest wish would be that he drops Owen, we draw against Liverpool without him, beat Boro without him and beat Fulham without him. I think he is a waste of a team place.

My greatest wish would be that he drops Owen, we draw against Liverpool without him, beat Boro without him and beat Fulham without him. I think he is a waste of a team place.

I think this is a decision based on the team we are playing and Owen will be back against boro. We wouldn't have a prayer of getting any points with a 3 man midfield against Liverpool, we can always switch back to 3 strikers against the teams who might give them a sniff.

The fact that he doesn't touch the ball is no one's fault but his own. For some reason, Martins seems to touch the ball. Viduka touches the ball. Carroll is involved. Hmm, I wonder why Owen's the only one of our strikers who never seems to be involved in the general play.

Uh

Viduka = tall and strong

Carroll = tall and strong

Martins = pacey off the ball

Owen = runs through the defence requiring accurate passing

Now work out which one might struggle in a side that plays long balls & inaccurate passing.

Regardless, Martins doesnt touch the ball barely any more than Owen he just holds it for longer when he drops deep.

What is particularly alarming is how physically weak Owen is when challenged for the ball shoulder to shoulder. He loses it every single time in this instances. It's why most of the time he passes it before any of the opposition get anywhere near him.

It seems his legs are well and truly shot as he just doesn't have the  ability to put himself between the ball and the defender and get low with a wide strong base and just hold them off when under pressure.

It's all about balance and leverage and not size. We see the likes of Tevez and Defoe do it all the time and as a little guy you just have to be able to do this to some degree.

Owen just seems completely gone physically. He doesn't do anything that looks remotely sudden or explosive or powerful. We all know pace goes eventually, but he is no longer able to jostle with anyone or shoot with power  or anything ...

It's just a sad sight really.

Tevez has a big frame, defoe doesnt do it anymore than owen.

Owen did exactly what you're claiming hes no longer capable of in the game against portsmouth whilst being "useless" and setting up guthrie for a chance on the edge of the area.

He did it once on one occassion when the defender wasn't as tight to him ... fantastic.

Please don't even go there about Defoe because that is crazy talk. Tevez has a big frame? Yeah okay.

Robbie Keane, Andy Johnson, Agbonlahor etc etc etc they all do not instantly wilt as soon as they come into contact with a shoulder like Owen does.

It's pathetis. Seeing your captain go down so feebly cannot be the most inspiring sight can it.

You are joking there right? :lol:

Guest Darth Toon

Bold decision by Shearer if true, and the right one IMO. Simple fact is, if Owen isn't scoring he contributes little, and we can't afford luxury players against the mousers.

I agree with Owen being dropped tbh, but seriously, is there any difference to this, and Gullit dropping Shearer for the Sunderland game when he'd went something crazy like 12-15 games without a goal in open play?

I agree with Owen being dropped tbh, but seriously, is there any difference to this, and Gullit dropping Shearer for the Sunderland game when he'd went something crazy like 12-15 games without a goal in open play?

He hasn't dropped Owen's best mate out of spite.

Either was Shearer. He was dropped because he'd been shit from the Spurs FA Cup Semi-Final up until that point.

Gullit's mistake was not playing Ferguson instead of Maric or Robinson though.

Either was Shearer. He was dropped because he'd been shit from the Spurs FA Cup Semi-Final up until that point.

Gullit's mistake was not playing Ferguson instead of Maric or Robinson though.

Shearer had yes. Rob Lee hadn't though.

Even with Rob Lee though. You couldn't really argue with a midfield of Speed & Dyer (and Hamann before that) could you?

Even with Rob Lee though. You couldn't really argue with a midfield of Speed & Dyer (and Hamann before that) could you?

I knew that was coming. You're just being contrary again.  :razz:

So did Gullit need to strip Lee of his squad number and make him play with the bairns? Did he fuck.

Of course I am. :lol:

Yeah that was out of order. Same with Pistone & Dabizas too. Although again, with Dabizas we'd had 3 new centre-backs bought in the summer plus the emerging Aaron Hughes.

So did Gullit need to strip Lee of his squad number and make him play with the bairns? Did he f***.

So did Gullit need to strip Lee of his squad number and make him play with the bairns? Did he f***.

that has nowt to do with wether he should have been in the starting 11 though.

fair play if true, he'll be back in the lineup come the Boro game though

So he should be, we should go 4-3-3

I agree.

I'm glad Shearer's dropped him for this game because we can't go there with a 4-3-3. If we get a point, it'll be fucking massive and Shearer will be planning to get that point.

But, with regards to the rest of our matches, we have to go for 3 and as useless as he is in any other formation, Owen's shown that in a 4-3-3 with him dropping deep (which he didn't do in the last match for some reason) is a formation in which he is effective in.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to drop the midget for good. He was invisible once more except for one good header in the first half. Viduka, Martins, Lovenkrands and Carroll now all offer more than him. It's now got to the point where I don't want us to offer him a new, lower contract anymore. We must free ourselves from our so-called star player in order to progress as a team..

Time to drop the midget for good. He was invisible once more except for one good header in the first half. Viduka, Martins, Lovenkrands and Carroll now all offer more than him. It's now got to the point where I don't want us to offer him a new, lower contract anymore. We must free ourselves from our so-called star player in order to progress as a team..

Erm, yeah, basically..

I've came to Owen's defence more than most on here in the past but tbh he's finished at NUFC.  We looked much more dangerous with the likes of Loven and Oba on the pitch.

f***ing ineffective, gutless w*****. On the way back i've just heard Shearer continuing to lick his arse via the radio. If he wants to pick him I understand it but it's very dissapointing all the same

lol.

Still our best finisher & top scorer.

You dont lose your ability as a footballer suddenly half way through a season.

Has he been largely ineffectual recently, yes. I wanted him off today myself also.

Does that mean its all over for him, no.

Theres clearly a reason for it & Al can see that as he's said himself.

If martins hadnt got a bit of luck for his strike today we'd all be moaning about him still. Instead hes a legend. Its all kneejerk.

No longer our top scorer in the league as of tonight, that would the striker who has played less and isn't 'half the finisher'

mate wake up, since Owen scored his last goal, both Carroll and Love have netted 3. It's embarrassing