Southampton Relegated

SUPERTOON

Why is it that Southampton are being punished, but West Ham, whose parent company Hansa is also bankrupt, seem to be getting away with it scot free?

Oops, didn't read this.

What is it that really caused their financial strife? Was it just the new stadium or were / are their wages still unsustainable in that leage?

Got a fair old slice of cash out of the Walcott and Bale sales.

Not the stadium, they had no problems with the mortgage. The problem was the pre-season push for promotion in 06/07 where they took out an overdraft of £7M, lost in the play-offs and since have been struggling financially until a couple of months ago when Barclays decide to simply pull the plug, rather unfairly really. In a nutshell, that's it. In addition to a load of shite running of the club generally, unambitiousness from Rupert Lowe and overzealousness from Michael Wilde and Leon Crouch who had an intermediary term, but it's really the fault of Barclays for screwing them over.

Apparently in 2003 Gordon Strachan knocked back the chance to sign two French Second Division players who would have cost £3m between them. There names were Florent Malouda & Didier Drogba.

so much for professional expertise.

Of course, this is a manager who thinks he's good because he beats one team to a title.

It ought to be noted that Rupert Lowe vetoed the signing of Drogba on account of wage demands and attitude and I believe the other player was Emmanuel Adebayor (who was refused a work-permit) as opposed to Malouda.

ah, the Mike Ashley blueprint.

Apparently in 2003 Gordon Strachan knocked back the chance to sign two French Second Division players who would have cost £3m between them. There names were Florent Malouda & Didier Drogba.

Of course, this is a manager who thinks he's good because he beats one team to a title.

It ought to be noted that Rupert Lowe vetoed the signing of Drogba on account of wage demands and attitude and I believe the other player was Emmanuel Adebayor (who was refused a work-permit) as opposed to Malouda.

:dave:

Guest The Libertine

:rolleyes:

on and on and on.

They'll be back, all the clubs come back one day. It will be someone elses turn to go shit and others turn to come good, and clubs like Southampton, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Newcastle are always going to have the strength of their local base to sustain more good than bad times over a twenty, thirty, forty year period.

Meanwhile, the top four could collapse just as easily with a couple of bad decisions, and it is  an impossibility that these club will never again have bad decision makers.

They'll be back, all the clubs come back one day. It will be someone elses turn to go shit and others turn to come good, and clubs like Southampton, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Newcastle are always going to have the strength of their local base to sustain more good than bad times over a twenty, thirty, forty year period.

Meanwhile, the top four could collapse just as easily with a couple of bad decisions, and it is  an impossibility that these club will never again have bad decision makers.

absolutely.

Nowt like kicking someone when they're down.

Fail to see how forcing a club into a lower division will help them in the slightest. Just makes it even more difficult to survive.

So what's the idea behind this whole ruling anyway, is it supposed to be a punishment for mismanagement, or what?

Fail to see how forcing a club into a lower division will help them in the slightest. Just makes it even more difficult to survive.

So what's the idea behind this whole ruling anyway, is it supposed to be a punishment for mismanagement, or what?

It was introduced after Leicester just took the piss - racked up a load of debts and avoided paying them all off by going into voluntary administration to very little detriment. Various other clubs had dutifully laboured for years paying off those they owed, languishing in lower divisions in the mean time, and Leicester just dodged the whole experience.

Guest Howaythetoon

As ever the fans suffer. It shouldn't be Southampton Football Club being penalised but the fuckwits responsible for screwing that club up.

As ever the fans suffer. It shouldn't be Southampton Football Club being penalised but the fuckwits responsible for screwing that club up.

True, but in football the fans are always made to suffer- their fault or not. But what could be done to the twats respobsible for misrunning the club? Its a tough one.

But as someone pointed out in this thread, the distribution in money through English football these days is scandalous! Each year we see more and more clubs scrape by in terms of survival. The amount of money pumped into the Premier League is disgusting, imo.

I know this is a much poorer standard of league and supported but I'll use the League of Ireland as an example. Cork City, one of the biggest teams in the country are on the verge of extinction....they have 2 weeks (just under, infact) to come up with €500,000 which is highly unlikely, yet around 3 weeks of Frank Lampards or Cristiano Ronaldo's wages could almost wipe out the debt. I'm sure there are lots of smaller clubs in the lower breaches of English football in the same situation as Cork.

The Premiership has fucked up English football. On the surface there's this 'best league in the world' look and tag to it. There's big stadiums, big crowds, all the biggest players and quick, exciting football. But if you look closer and dig a little deeper, there are clubs suffocating under crippling debts and battling just to stay in existance.

True, but in football the fans are always made to suffer- their fault or not. But what could be done to the twats respobsible for misrunning the club? Its a tough one.

But as someone pointed out in this thread, the distribution in money through English football these days is scandalous! Each year we see more and more clubs scrape by in terms of survival. The amount of money pumped into the Premier League is disgusting, imo.

I know this is a much poorer standard of league and supported but I'll use the League of Ireland as an example. Cork City, one of the biggest teams in the country are on the verge of extinction....they have 2 weeks (just under, infact) to come up with €500,000 which is highly unlikely, yet around 3 weeks of Frank Lampards or Cristiano Ronaldo's wages could almost wipe out the debt. I'm sure there are lots of smaller clubs in the lower breaches of English football in the same situation as Cork.

The Premiership has f***ed up English football. On the surface there's this 'best league in the world' look and tag to it. There's big stadiums, big crowds, all the biggest players and quick, exciting football. But if you look closer and dig a little deeper, there are clubs suffocating under crippling debts and battling just to stay in existance.

rubbish. they just need to borrow more.

The Premiership has f***ed up English football. On the surface there's this 'best league in the world' look and tag to it. There's big stadiums, big crowds, all the biggest players and quick, exciting football. But if you look closer and dig a little deeper, there are clubs suffocating under crippling debts and battling just to stay in existance.

:lol:

:chomp:

Guest fading star

generalising again

Guest Howaythetoon

The PL is killing our national game at every level, or rather the money is and I dare say the global game too.

It's not like league clubs didn't used to go bust, infact teams used to worry about going out of existence and that doesn't happen anymore.

It's not like league clubs didn't used to go bust, infact teams used to worry about going out of existence and that doesn't happen anymore.

True. Clubs like Maidstone & Aldershot spring to mind.

It was introduced after Leicester just took the piss - racked up a load of debts and avoided paying them all off by going into voluntary administration to very little detriment. Various other clubs had dutifully laboured for years paying off those they owed, languishing in lower divisions in the mean time, and Leicester just dodged the whole experience.

From what I've read, Southampton could have done exactly the same if they went into administration a week ago.

From what I've read, Southampton could have done exactly the same if they went into administration a week ago.

Fair play to Leciester like for recognising it and exploiting it tbh.

a tier or two down there have been a few losses, Scarborough, Leigh probably one I'm missing.