Newcastle United 0 - 0 Portsmouth - 27/04/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

Guest neesy111

Also, as much as it pains me to write it, we lost control of the match after Butt went off and Jonas came on in his place.

Two completely different types of players, and at least when Butt's on the field, he can tackle and win the ball back.

No, it was Viduka's departure, a little earlier, which did the damage. Things immediately changed. Really missed him. Although I expected a downturn when the sub happened, I was actually surprised by just how much we lost. Suddenly everything bunched up and we were little better than we were against Spurs until he game on.

Viduka really put in a shift tonight, and on top of that he has genuine class. Wish we had more players like that (who'd also play regularly).

dn't say that to the guy sitting next to me

thinks viduka is a waste of space and owen is our saviour :idiot2:

Am I the only one who is quite happy to have Duff in the team? At least he has a bit of energy and trys to get attacks going.

(waits for reply saying 'yes')

I'd agree with that. He looks like he wants the ball and wants to try things. Definitely one of our better players last night.

We struggled to find a shape last night, and the longer the game on, the more ragged we became. A lot of people have pinned their hopes on 4-3-3 with Owen in a free role, but the players didn't seem to have much confidence in it last night.

Owen is good at drifting into scoring positions from deep, but he doesn't create anything for his team-mates, which is a major part of what you expect from someone in that free role. He fluffed the one chance he had, which Martins was in a position to get anyway. It's like playing with 10 men, but unlike last season, the other 10 are short of form and confidence and we're not getting away with it.

My major concern at the time of Shearer's appointment was that he would stick with Owen no matter what, and unfortunately I think it's a mistake that's going to scupper what chance we had of staying up.

Agree with your point about Duff. Could well be putting himself in the shop window for next season mind.

Re: Owen, I'd drop him big style. I would have played Martins behind Viduka and Carroll last night. Martins playing deep, with his pace, would have pulled the Portsmouth defence completely out of shape. Owen playing there totally nullified any attacking threat we had. Not only is he low on confidence, but he is weak as a weak streak of piss and won't shoot from range. He takes a full working week to turn and his play is rushed.

Shearer should listen to his own words me thinks. He says Owen isn't scoring because we're not creating much for him i.e. not creating incisive chances to put the ball on a plate for him. Well then big Al, if we're creating nowt then keep Owen off the pitch and play someone who will bust a gut to make something out of nothing.

themanupstairs knows the score, why the f*** doesn't Shearer?

I often wonder why we constantly have managers that don't realise the obvious.  I couldn't understand why souness used to play Ameobi left wing,  why all managers have played Alan Smith, why Nicky Butt has not been sold, why no-one thought a creative midfielder would be a good idea, why they rely on Viduka being fit and don't go out and sign a replacement.

Managers obviously see something we don't, maybe Ashley should just appoint me as manager, I reckon I could do a decent job and just have a coach to train the players.

duff/smith/viduka/butt all put in a shift last night but we're totally toothless upfront, we could have had it wrapped up by half time if we could finish, or actually try to shoot at the goal. we did seem to rollover when viduka went off like, seemed a bit clueless after that

duff/smith/viduka/butt all put in a shift last night but we're totally toothless upfront, we could have had it wrapped up by half time if we could finish, or actually try to shoot at the goal. we did seem to rollover when viduka went off like, seemed a bit clueless after that

That's because pound for pound, and when up to full fitness, Mark Viduka is the best player we have at the club.

Why are people talking about Butt putting in a shift or supposedly breaking up play and winning the ball back?!

Are you kidding me!

Yes he does try hard and actually seems to care, but at the end of the day his play is the most detrimental to the functioning of the whole team and it has been this way all season. Ultimately though, he cannot be expected to go to the manager and say he doesn't want to play because he is crap. The managers have all failed in this regard because they haven't taken responsibility of the situation.

So he puts the odd tackle in? Big fookin deal! Half the time he is unable to get around the pitch well enough and is just by passed. He never ever ever, not even once ever, uses the ball productively. This is someone that plays 90 mins every match by the way! Do you know how easy that makes life for the opposition? They don't even have to take account of him no pressure needed, just let him have the ball and get tight on everyone else as he will just lob it back to our goali alld day. It is ludicrous.

People talk about having no one else play there because we have no other DM. Well I would argue he has been so bad that it would have been worth trying anyone else in there DM or not. Alan Smith should have got more of an opportunity in there, Guthrie, Geremi and yes even Coloccini.

This season we have seen the likes of Coloccini get benched for a bad game, we've seen Enrique get benched numerous times for no absolute reason whatsoever in my book, we've even seen Jonas benched for supposedly not being effective enough (HA!!!) for goodness sake! Yet Butt remains. If Butt's name was Butticini he would have been fookin run out of the club by now and denounced as an epic disaster to football. It is laughable it really is.

This is someone who Souness had written off three/four years ago. Souness for crying out loud?! One of the lowest rated managers of this club in recent times.  Even he knew Butt was rubbish back then.

Here we are in 2009 and Butt is a first teamer week in and week out. No questions asked?!

Bollocks to that. No body on this Earth can justify this sort of decision making.

Why are people talking about Butt putting in a shift or supposedly breaking up play and winning the ball back?!

Are you kidding me!

Yes he does try hard and actually seems to care, but at the end of the day his play is the most detrimental to the functioning of the whole team and it has been this way all season. Ultimately though, he cannot be expected to go to the manager and say he doesn't want to play because he is crap. The managers have all failed in this regard because they haven't taken responsibility of the situation.

So he puts the odd tackle in? Big fookin deal! Half the time he is unable to get around the pitch well enough and is just by passed. He never ever ever, not even once ever, uses the ball productively. This is someone that plays 90 mins every match by the way! Do you know how easy that makes life for the opposition? They don't even have to take account of him no pressure needed, just let him have the ball and get tight on everyone else as he will just lob it back to our goali alld day. It is ludicrous.

People talk about having no one else play there because we have no other DM. Well I would argue he has been so bad that it would have been worth trying anyone else in there DM or not. Alan Smith should have got more of an opportunity in there, Guthrie, Geremi and yes even Coloccini.

This season we have seen the likes of Coloccini get benched for a bad game, we've seen Enrique get benched numerous times for no absolute reason whatsoever in my book, we've even seen Jonas benched for supposedly not being effective enough (HA!!!) for goodness sake! Yet Butt remains. If Butt's name was Butticini he would have been fookin run out of the club by now and denounced as an epic disaster to football. It is laughable it really is.

This is someone who Souness had written off three/four years ago. Souness for crying out loud?! One of the lowest rated managers of this club in recent times.  Even he knew Butt was rubbish back then.

Here we are in 2009 and Butt is a first teamer week in and week out. No questions asked?!

Bollocks to that. No body on this Earth can justify this sort of decision making.

Agree with most of that, Although I do think Butt played well last night,

& without Barton I think we would be a weaker team without Butt??

Portsmouth deserve enormous credit for killing that game off in stunningly effective fashion. When it should have been a last ten minutes of us pelting the ball at their penalty area they must have had 70% possession. And barring one occasion they didn't timewaste either; they went for the win.

Our players realised they couldn't get the ball and the heads went down.

Guest toonlass

To all so called fans who f***ed off 10 minutes before the end.   f*** off cant wait to see the back of you next season bunch of c***s

:clap:

Woah man, watch out there are people around here who would call you all the shit under the sun for saying stuff like that.*

*personally I agree with you though

Guest toonlass

I must be the only one who thought the atmosphere was pretty damn good, at least for the first hour anyway.

No I did too.

I must be the only one who thought the atmosphere was pretty damn good, at least for the first hour anyway.

It was never going to be sustainable as people began to realise how dire things were as we continued to fluff chances and make a mess of things.

Any fan even in the stadium gets credit for simply showing up in my book. The players on this team don't even deserve that much support for their performances this season.

Guest Phil K

To all so called fans who f***ed off 10 minutes before the end.   f*** off cant wait to see the back of you next season bunch of c***s

:clap:

Woah man, watch out there are people around here who would call you all the s*** under the sun for saying stuff like that.*

*personally I agree with you though

What - for saying the fans done good ?

They do most times.

There are a few dickheads among us who believe anything the rags tell them to think about us, thats true.

Hope your not mixing criticism of the team with criticism of the fans though (which is what I think you actually ARE doing)

Guest neesy111

distin is everything that coloccini, isn't

they have a very good defense

Coloccini had a decent game.

lucky not to give away another penalty this season, he's just a bramble is disguise, your waiting for 1 mistake from him

distin was awesome, handled everything we threw at their defence with ease, why the fuck did we not pay the wages ffs for him

It was never going to be sustainable as people began to realise how dire things were as we continued to fluff chances and make a mess of things.

Any fan even in the stadium gets credit for simply showing up in my book. The players on this team don't even deserve that much support for their performances this season.

The players deserved every bit of support they got in the first hour yesterday - they played with more passion and urgency than I've seen from them for a very, very long time and fuck me, when was the last time we had that many chances to fluff? I'd even say that they overdid it, and should have remembered that the games are 90 minutes long, not 70.

lucky not to give away another penalty this season, he's just a bramble is disguise, your waiting for 1 mistake from him

distin was awesome, handled everything we threw at their defence with ease, why the fuck did we not pay the wages ffs for him

I've not seen any coverage of the game but in real time it looked like a penalty to me. I couldn't understand why Crouch wasn't booked though if it wasn't a pen? Blatant dive if not. Other than that I thought he was alright, particularly considering the criticism he's had lately.

Guest neesy111

I've not seen any coverage of the game but in real time it looked like a penalty to me. I couldn't understand why Crouch wasn't booked though if it wasn't a pen? Blatant dive if not. Other than that I thought he was alright, particularly considering the criticism he's had lately.

he was better

but my m8 has said this and it does make sense, since shearer took over we look better defensively but worse going forward

Guest neesy111

The players deserved every bit of support they got in the first hour yesterday - they played with more passion and urgency than I've seen from them for a very, very long time and fuck me, when was the last time we had that many chances to fluff? I'd even say that they overdid it, and should have remembered that the games are 90 minutes long, not 70.

i think we created more v arsenal than we did last night

Guest trotter58

All it takes is Hull to get a point from their games against Stoke and Bolton and they'll probably slip out of reach.

Stoke have only won one game away from home all season, so the odds are that Hull will pick up all three points. Since their other games are against Man Utd and Villa, this might leave them needing a point or better at Bolton to stay up. Phil Brown's return to the Reebok could be very interesting...

distin was awesome, handled everything we threw at their defence with ease, why the f*** did we not pay the wages ffs for him

Watched the game on Setanta and although from the front it looked a certain pen when showed from other angles he actually pulled his legs back away from Crouch so didn't in fact touch him. He had a good game and Butt was excellent too both commentators said he put a great shift in. What was obvious is that the defence and midfield were constantly gesturing for the attack to make runs and come for the ball which simply wasn't happening.

To be fair to Pompey they played really, really well and I doubt even the top teams would have scored against them last night.  On a positive note we looked like a different team last night than what we usually do (loads more effort and desire). If we play the same way for the remaining games we should get something from them to keep us up.

distin was awesome, handled everything we threw at their defence with ease, why the f*** did we not pay the wages ffs for him

Watched the game on Setanta and although from the front it looked a certain pen when showed from other angles he actually pulled his legs back away from Crouch so didn't in fact touch him. He had a good game and Butt was excellent too both commentators said he put a great shift in. What was obvious is that the defence and midfield were constantly gesturing for the attack to make runs and come for the ball which simply wasn't happening.

To be fair to Pompey they played really, really well and I doubt even the top teams would have scored against them last night.  On a positive note we looked like a different team last night than what we usually do (loads more effort and desire). If we play the same way for the remaining games we should get something from them to keep us up.

Butt excellent? Put in a great shift?

We don't need good shifts we need him to maintain posession of the ball as much as possible and simple effective passing to players who can try to make things happen.

Butt has not had a single good game this season. He has delivered us into the hands of relegation.