Pwnage: Barcelona bum Man Utd 2-0, win the CL

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man Utd at full pelt? Barca wouldn't allow it. We've seen it time and time again: they dominate possession and control the pace of the game. They weren't going to let the game become end-to-end because they know how good Man Utd are on the counter-attack, so they played it slow, happily and frankly easily passed the ball around Man Utd's midfield (their first-team midfield, might I add - with the exception of Fletcher who I don't think could have changed the outcome of the match) until they found an opening or two, which they then seized. It's been the same story with all their other matches. I mean, even when Man Utd were down 2-0, they still couldn't create a clear opening. I think it says a lot that Barca were able to contain them that well and like I said, it could have been more.

A Man Utd onslaught is usually done by pushing up and pressuring the opposition into losing the ball, then just streaming forward towards the goal. Man Utd did try to pressure Barca but they were passed around so that's why I think they retreated. At the start of the second half, when Tevez came on and they tried to pressure Barca again, Barca played their best football of the match because there was space to run into (Henry chance, foul that led to Xavi's free-kick).

Honestly, I think that Man Utd don't have the midfield to compete with Barca. I said it when Chelsea defended for their lives and said it last year when Man Utd defended for 180 minutes - that style of play is so dependent on scoring an awesome goal and scoring it early. When that fails, or when the worst happens and Barca score, you're then fucked because the space created makes it even easier for Barca to play their football and their football really limits the chances that the opposition can create. I thought Barca struck a perfect balance between slowing the game down and pressing for extra goals. On a few occasions that Messi got the ball in space, he didn't instinctively charged towards Man Utd's goal, but seemed to relax and pass it around. From my perspective, they did that because it forces Man Utd to bring all their players back to defend and thus makes it harder for them to launch a successful counter-attack. If Messi charges towards goal and loses the ball, Man Utd would still have had a lot of players in Barca's half and they could have attacked the way they do in the Premiership. Guardiola out-thought Fergie tonight, in my opinion.

Nailed it, IMO.

Barca's beautiful game works because of their physical fitness, stamina, and pressure of the opposition. They pass it around so nicely mainly because the desire and hunger to get the ball back, and thus gives them the opportunity to do what they like with it. Even such a well organised Man Utd team just couldn't really get going barring a few moves here and there.

:lol:

Treble for Barca. Almost forgot. I'm also glad the bs back-to-back winners didn't happen. Go tell Real Madrid, Benfica, Nottingham Forest etc. that they've never won the European Cup consecutively.

Aye, that irritated me as much as Sky inventing top-flight football in 1992. :hmm:

It's the European Cup. Always has been always will be.

Guest BigAl2

Barcelona did to Man U what Man U did to Arsenal.

Arsenal started brightly and then had the stuffing knocked out of them when they conceded against the run of play and thats what happened tonight after the first 10 minutes there was only going to be one winner.

Iniesta and Xavi were brilliant tonight.

Treble for Barca. Almost forgot. I'm also glad the bs back-to-back winners didn't happen. Go tell Real Madrid, Benfica, Nottingham Forest etc. that they've never won the European Cup consecutively.

Indeed, fact it's the exact same trophy should be a dead give away.

Indeed, fact it's the exact same trophy should be a dead give away.

But the group stages now exist!! Therefore it's harder to win it!!!

This must go down as Barca's best ever team, surely?

First Spanish team to win the treble. Scored a record-breaking 145 goals in about 60 matches. 104 league goals, 2nd of all time in that category, I think.

Also two or three of the best footballers on the planet playing together and them just mowing down the opposition.

Stunning fact that I just found out after reading their wiki page: They have never not qualified for Europe. Since European competition began in 1955, they have qualified for Europe through the league in each and every single year :cheesy:

First Spanish team to win the treble. Scored a record-breaking 145 goals in about 60 matches. 104 league goals, 2nd of all time in that category, I think.

Also two or three of the best footballers on the planet playing together and them just mowing down the opposition.

Stunning fact that I just found out after reading their wiki page: They have never not qualified for Europe. Since European competition began in 1955, they have qualified for Europe through the league in each and every single year :cheesy:

The greatest of a team is defined over more than one season though isn't it?

I know where you're coming from, but years from now people will be referring to this team as the 'treble-winning side' like how the '99 Man Utd team are referred to.

The spine of the team, scarily, is still really young - Pique, Toure, Iniesta, Messi and Xavi - so it's scary to think what they can achieve in the next few years if they remain motivated.

I know where you're coming from, but years from now people will be referring to this team as the 'treble-winning side' like how the '99 Man Utd team are referred to.

The spine of the team, scarily, is still really young - Pique, Toure, Iniesta, Messi and Xavi - so it's scary to think what they can achieve in the next few years if they remain motivated.

Xavi is 29

I know. I wrote something to explain that but deleted it (in the previous post). His style of play means that he's going to be excellent until he's 35. He's not fast, he doesn't have incredible strength and generally, his game is not a physical one. He's not going to lose his passing ability which is why he'll be around for a long time.

I know. I wrote something to explain that but deleted it (in the previous post). His style of play means that he's going to be excellent until he's 35. He's not fast, he doesn't have incredible strength and generally, his game is not a physical one. He's not going to lose his passing ability which is why he'll be around for a long time.

Yep, thinking someone like Beckham, who's main strength is techniqle (can't spell, screw it), so can play for a long long time despite losing physical attributes.

definately is the unsung/ carrick type player of their team, a class act and probs will play at the top level till 34/35