Newcastle 3 - 1 Middlesbrough - 11/05/09 - post match reaction from page 20

Nobody

Worst defending I've seen from us in ages. Apart from that, all our players have done their best, except Owen, who's been absolutely shit apart from that one header he had. Still think we'll go down.

Waddle - "Nicky Butt has dominated the middle of the park".

never thought  i'd hear those words

No he hasn't! If only he'd keep it simple and do the job defensively and not try to play as a playmaker he was a decent player at the best but it's fucking awful to watch him wasting all these forward passes!

Why did we stopped playing? Is it really something with the fitness side of the team? It really did look quite promising at one stage but now it's all back to dead boring 1-1 draw in the end...need to put much muhc more pressure on Boro now as they can't handle it at all

Bassong has been awful in the centre of defence.  He's been so slow to get moving at times he's just being left high-and-dry on the counter attack by Boro.

Jonas has been almost anonymous for the last 20 minutes of that half.  He's just dawdling around the midfield and not showing any real desire to get after the ball.

Viduka has been immense.  He's been at the heart of almost every opportunity we created during the first half, but I too worry about his endurance.

I don't agree that Butt has been that great, he's getting involved, but he's not really creating any forward momentum.

Guthrie has been doing a great job down that right wing.

Duff has been doing a decent job at left back, considering he's out of position, but oh how I wish someone would teach him how to place a pass or cross.

Beye and Guthrie are dovetailing pretty well, better than the left sided equivalents anyway. Owen has got into one or two good positions but not been able to work anything clear, though as the half grew on he become more and more anonymous in general play.

The longer the half has gone on, the more Boro have come into it. We just have to have the most immobile midfield in the country and they're getting slower with every minute.

After an hour, we'll need to freshen things up. Boro are poor but they're looking more likely to score than us right now.

I am "enjoying" this game like you kinda enjoy brain freeze.

I am cacking it every time Boro are near our area, we just look like we may give them another goal. Its shocking how crap both teams are at times. They do look even crapper than us though.

Guest LucaAltieri

Jonas and Butt have been shite.

Guthrie and Nolan have been ok.

We're not allowed to have a full midfield, ever. It's against the law.

Owen off for Martins after 60 minutes then Viduka off for Carroll after 70 minutes - would be what I would do.

sounds about right, though i'm loathe to take viduka off no matter how tired he is, he's just a class above the rest of our squad.

Guest firetotheworks

Butts yellow car is a problem.

Aye, it always causes the last person to say 'yellow car' to get a punch in the arm.

Guest LucaAltieri

Mackems are obssesed about the game...35 pages on the match thread already and we've got 9

Aye, but on the SMB there are only 5 posts per page.

Mackems are obssesed about the game...35 pages on the match thread already and we've got 9

Some of our fans are otherwise engaged tbf if you hadn´t noticed.. Sure it would be the same here in a similar situation. You are obsessed with them for checking their forum out too..

Although I don't think anyone on our team is performing seriously below what I would expect in this sort of match, I think Martins coming on now would scare the shit out of them. Problem is that if Martins comes on they will be so scared they will sit back by an extra few yards, and we haven't got enough creative players to get through a defence that sits round the goal.

Maybe Carroll would be a better bet - our best chances seem to be coming from set pieces, and if that continues then I would prefer Carro9ll to Martins.

Guest Albert Square

Martins could potentially rape this lot like

if he was fit

Hes on the bence, "feeling his groin" doesnt make him fucked. He will be faster than most of that lot out there.

Although I don't think anyone on our team is performing seriously below what I would expect in this sort of match

How about some M.Owen? One touch...great header though but otherwise pretty much s*** IMO! Against that kind of defence what would a real world class striker would be able to do?