Michael Owen - Would you be disappointed if he stayed?

Liam Liam Liam O
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No not at all, but obviously he'd have to take a large pay cut.  Even if he was banging in the goals I'd still only want him to stay with a pay cut though, its idiotic to pay one player £120,000 a week at the best of times.  But when he's injury prone and your club aren't even in Europe never mind the Champions League its fucking suicide.  If he agreed to a contract on £60,000 with very large goal bonuses I'd keep him.

He was a complete waste of space tonight. Being subbed and the replacement scoring within a minute just made my dream come true.

£17 million and £5 million a year? No wonder he looks embarrassed.

Guest the_guv_nor

No not at all, but obviously he'd have to take a large pay cut.  Even if he was banging in the goals I'd still only want him to stay with a pay cut though, its idiotic to pay one player £120,000 a week at the best of times.  But when he's injury prone and your club aren't even in Europe never mind the Champions League its fucking suicide.  If he agreed to a contract on £60,000 with very large goal bonuses I'd keep him.

i'd be disappointed if we payed him £60,000 per week, he's injury prone and no longer a consistant goal scorer. he's worth about £40k max in my eyes, if he started banging in goals for fun he would be worth more.

I honestly wouldn't fault his effort at all.  He just isn't what he was, though I'd probably prefer him on to Martins.  Granted, Martins scored, but I think that was just luck he was given the chance.

I was very glad to see Owen tonght after the final whistle come right up to the corner flag, hug/shake every team mate's hand and clap the fans.

No way has he lost his ability to score regularly long term, that kind of knack doesn't just disappear.  He's having a bad spell and looking pretty ineffective at the moment but he can and will start scoring regularly again, especially in a half decent team.  Lots of teams will offer him far more then £40,000 so that's just totally unrealistic.  I'd be happy for him to stay on a two or three year £60,000 contract.  We'd save £60,000 without having to replace him.

No way has he lost his ability to score regularly long term, that kind of knack doesn't just disappear.  He's having a bad spell and looking pretty ineffective at the moment but he can and will start scoring regularly again, especially in a half decent team.  Lots of teams will offer him far more then £40,000 so that's just totally unrealistic.  I'd be happy for him to stay on a two or three year £60,000 contract.  We'd save £60,000 without having to replace him.

Well we offered him twice that and it still wasn't good enough so he can fuck off tbh.

Guest the_guv_nor

No way has he lost his ability to score regularly long term, that kind of knack doesn't just disappear.  He's having a bad spell and looking pretty ineffective at the moment but he can and will start scoring regularly again, especially in a half decent team.  Lots of teams will offer him far more then £40,000 so that's just totally unrealistic.

i'm sure he will be offered more as he can go for free, but for Newcastle who have spent approx £30m on him so far, he is'nt worth paying more than £40k per week imo.

i'm sure he will be offered more as he can go for free, but for Newcastle who have spent approx £30m on him so far, he is'nt worth paying more than £40k per week imo.

How does the money we've spent on him in the past effect what he's worth now?  Replacing him is going to cost two or three times more then giving him a £60,000 three year deal.  Like I said I think in a less hopeless side he'll still score plenty of goals.

Well we offered him twice that and it still wasn't good enough so he can fuck off tbh.

The offer was £80,000 wasn't it?  Still more then I'm suggesting, but then as I said if he won't accept a reasonable offer then yeah he can fuck off.

Virtually finished as a player imo. Doesn't deserve a new contract based on his performances and I hope he moves on in the summer. He used to be fantastic but he looks a shadow - maybe it's the team he's in not creating chances for him but he's giving nothing to NUFC atm. Absolutely nothing. 

Guest neesy111

was only signed to sell shirts and sell season tickets

finished, he looks slower than nicky butt at times

Guest the_guv_nor

No way has he lost his ability to score regularly long term, that kind of knack doesn't just disappear.  He's having a bad spell and looking pretty ineffective at the moment but he can and will start scoring regularly again, especially in a half decent team.  Lots of teams will offer him far more then £40,000 so that's just totally unrealistic.

How does the money we've spent on him in the past effect what he's worth now?  Replacing him is going to cost two or three times more then giving him a £60,000 three year deal.

I'd personally feel robbed if we lined his pockets with another £3m per year contract on top of the £5m per year contract he has already had. What has he actually done to deserve £60k per week?

Guest Heneage

I'd do it more on principal. I want players that want to be here 110% not players who are here for the cash, players like Skejlbred. Owen turned down two offers touted himself about when he was doing well, that purple patch has ended and he really looks less than half the striker he was in 98. Why should we keep him, I could understand if he wasn't scoring but still offering something like Viduka but he does neither.

He's played this club for a fool and if he gets a new deal its a joke.

Oh how I wait for this thread to change if he scores against Fulham...

That said, I voted yes.

Those are the margins you talk about in football though. Owen connects well with a good Viduka cross, well saved. Martins slips while scoring, folk hero.

That said, I'm not convinced we'll want him, or whether he'll want to stay. Would still take him on £50-60k a week though.

Oh how I wait for this thread to change if he scores against Fulham...

That said, I voted yes.

Fulham are well organised, if he couldn't score against boro he hasn't got a hope in hell against Fulham.