Newcastle Blue Star fold

Guest toonlass

NUFC Should give them some sort of financial backing...

Why

Support the football in our local area...

They're obviously not a "big" club so it's nice to see them continue on. Just like Gateshead and Blyth, etc.

Guest toonlass

If you help one club then you have to help the rest. Lots of non-league clubs have been spending above their means and it only comes back to haunt them, as sad as it is. I hope Newcastle BS manage to get some help from somewhere - would be a real shame to see them go under.

That's the thing though. They didn't "overspend". They got a grant to do up their ground, which is what they spent the money on. But because they weren't allowed to play their anymore in the League they were in they moved to Kingston Park and now have to pay the grant back. Would you be happy to get a grant to do the insulation or something in your house, you did it and then moved 4 years later, and were asked for the whole grant back. Its madness!!!

This was ALWAYS going to happen. They were spending ridiculous money, they had to be because they were outbidding the likes of Gateshead and Blyth for players to go and play 2 divisions below.  :idiot2:

It's not a shame that this has happened 2 weeks after promotion, because obviously it's a promotion they didn't deserve. To be honest they have about 100 fans, just not stable to run a football club spending that kind of money.

Guest fading star

If you help one club then you have to help the rest. Lots of non-league clubs have been spending above their means and it only comes back to haunt them, as sad as it is. I hope Newcastle BS manage to get some help from somewhere - would be a real shame to see them go under.

That's the thing though. They didn't "overspend". They got a grant to do up their ground, which is what they spent the money on. But because they weren't allowed to play their anymore in the League they were in they moved to Kingston Park and now have to pay the grant back. Would you be happy to get a grant to do the insulation or something in your house, you did it and then moved 4 years later, and were asked for the whole grant back. Its madness!!!

It is. The FA gave Blue Star a £65k grant (via the Football Federation) to make improvements to the Wheatsheaf Ground. Then a few years later the FA asked Blue Star to join a different league but insisted they play at Kingston Park. Then the Football Federation demand the money spent on the Wheatsheaf Ground is returned and put the club out of business.

The Football Federation get £40m a year to support grass roots football. Killing a 78 year old club for £65k is a disgrace.

It is. The FA gave Blue Star a £65k grant (via the Football Federation) to make improvements to the Wheatsheaf Ground. Then a few years later the FA asked Blue Star to join a different league but insisted they play at Kingston Park. Then the Football Federation demand the money spent on the Wheatsheaf Ground is returned and put the club out of business.

The Football Federation get £40m a year to support grass roots football. Killing a 78 year old club for £65k is a disgrace.

This sport is becoming a joke.

woah, this threads turned round fast so i can say what i was gonna say

shearer, taylor, robson et al could find 70k behind one sofa, get on with it lads or better still someone call mike ashley and teach him a thing or two about positive publicity, the fat cunt

This was ALWAYS going to happen. They were spending ridiculous money, they had to be because they were outbidding the likes of Gateshead and Blyth for players to go and play 2 divisions below.  :idiot2:

It's not a shame that this has happened 2 weeks after promotion, because obviously it's a promotion they didn't deserve. To be honest they have about 100 fans, just not stable to run a football club spending that kind of money.

They had no debt whatsoever until this so, i think you've got yourself mixed up somewhere along the lines. Nothing to do with how many people support them either.

I've heard from Blyth fans this season that they lost a few players to Blue Star because they threw money at them, and they expected that Blue Star would end up going this way. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is what I heard.

Guest fading star

I think Blue Star sold the Wheatsheaf Ground to Newcastle Falcons when their first team moved to Kingston Park. They probably pocketed a fair wack of cash, perhaps that’s where their spending power has come from?

I doubt NBS are blameless in all this but their an important club in their own way. It’ll be a scandal if they fold because some jobsworth at the Football Foundation screws them over with a biro and some small print. How much money will the FF get back if they do fold? Ten pence in the pound?

http://www.footballfoundation.org.uk/

Can’t find anything about the NBS situation. Perhaps “Foundation Kills Grass Roots Club” doesn’t fit their brand image.

I've heard from Blyth fans this season that they lost a few players to Blue Star because they threw money at them, and they expected that Blue Star would end up going this way. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is what I heard.

theres a lot of people in non-league circles saying that. i was at one of the last games at the wheatsheaf and there was a few people wondering where the money had been spent.

shame as i'd been to one or two at KP and was going to try for a few more. seems like they brought it on themselves. you'd think with an estate the size of KP they'd be popping flyers all over etc to get crowds up but none of it.

Unsustainable wage bill with their gates. Harsh reality is no-one really cares. Lots of people here saying its a shame but unless people go to watch these sides then they will simply tumble out of existence. Paying this £65k is simply delaying the inevitable.

Unsustainable wage bill with their gates. Harsh reality is no-one really cares. Lots of people here saying its a shame but unless people go to watch these sides then they will simply tumble out of existence. Paying this £65k is simply delaying the inevitable.

is sad tho, blue star have always been on the map and have just got promoted, they defo going then?

is sad tho, blue star have always been on the map and have just got promoted, they defo going then?

possibly get a deal to pay the 65grand off over 2 or 3 years, don't know if they can even afford that.

Guest sittingontheball

Its hard to know who to believe, but the net result will be a shame even if its self-inflicted.

theres a lot of people in non-league circles saying that. i was at one of the last games at the wheatsheaf and there was a few people wondering where the money had been spent.

shame as i'd been to one or two at KP and was going to try for a few more. seems like they brought it on themselves. you'd think with an estate the size of KP they'd be popping flyers all over etc to get crowds up but none of it.

They also got Bowey, Southern & Brayson who were 3 of Gateshead's best players the season before they came up into the Conference North. I'm guessing they weren't cheap either.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

It'll sadden me if they go to the wall. I remember seeing them win the FA Vase at Wembley back in the 70's. They're still the only 'Newcastle' team I've seen win at Wembley.

Guest Stephen927

Shame. If Shepherd were to bail them out then fair play to him but if I were in his shoes I wouldn't bother.

Shame. If Shepherd were to bail them out then fair play to him but if I were in his shoes I wouldn't bother.

i personally think there is definitly a market out there for a decent non-league outfit in newcastle. and kingston park is a good ground aswell.

• 1 month later...

Update on the situation:

Press release from Jimmy Anderson at Newcastle Blue Star:

Tuesday, 23 June 2009

Following on from a meeting in Soho square London where Bob Morton met up with representatives from the Football Association, the FSIF (grants) and a member from the financial regulations department of the FA, Bob submitted mitigation as to why the club should be shown compassion with regards to the claims for full repayment of £61,000 which the club received towards development of the Wheatsheaf Sports Ground, Bob Morton pleaded with the members to forego their claim of the full amount of this money and allow the club to continue with their progression and keep the club in existence, however it was to be fruitless as the FSIF were demanding full payment prior to the 2009-10 season commencing..

Club Secretary Jim Anderson states that although all parties confirm and endorse that the grants which were awarded and have been correctly utilised over the period 1999-2004 in which they had been claimed, it is the fact the senior club no longer play their games at the Wheatsheaf ground that has instigated this claim even though their relocation to Kingston Park was urged and commissioned by the same authorities.

Taking this into account, Newcastle Blue Star would like to confirm that they are officially withdrawing from all competitive football, having announced at the end of the 2008-09 season their concerns over their future, both Bob Morton and Jim Anderson have worked vigorously in an attempt to prevent the closure of such a great club attempting to attract investors in what is an unstable economic climate.

Finally Jim Anderson would like to thank all of the support received from all since the club was founded back in 1930, there have been many folk associated with this club and I am sure they will have fond memories that they will cherish.

i personally think there is definitly a market out there for a decent non-league outfit in newcastle. and kingston park is a good ground aswell.

There's still Benfield. But this is a crying shame to see one of area's well known non league sides go under.

Guest Mantis

Bail these out then the next club will be knocking on the door.  If anyone is to help them out it should be the FA as they are the guardians of english football.  Suggesting the players, SBR, FS or MA stump up £65k is silly.  Blue Star aren't the only club struggling to exist.

Guest toonlass

Still awful though, that a club who at their level are pretty successful have died because finances have been too much. Shame imo.