Martin Laursen retires

Mr. Snrub

Who gives a s***, doesn't play for us. No feelings of sympathy for a man who's set up for life and gets to retire with no money worries at the ripe old age of 31. If I get to retire at 65 I'll be happy.

It's not always about money. :rolleyes:

Who gives a s***, doesn't play for us. No feelings of sympathy for a man who's set up for life and gets to retire with no money worries at the ripe old age of 31. If I get to retire at 65 I'll be happy.

It's not always about money.

:rolleyes:

actually, i think you'll find it is for people who don't have any dude

I could understand if it was a prick like Ronaldo. It's Martin Laursen though, a top professional both on and off the pitch.

I could understand if it was a prick like Ronaldo. It's Martin Laursen though, a top professional both on and off the pitch.

you might be mistaking apathy for dislike here...?

I think it comes down to the same thing. I feel sorry for Laursen because he's a genuine bloke who I'd say values playing football ahead of money.

I think it comes down to the same thing. I feel sorry for Laursen because he's a genuine bloke who I'd say values playing football ahead of money.

on what do you base that?

not that it matters, the point stands - i'm still far too devastated that i never made professional football 'cause i was shit and overweight to have sympathy for this fucker

not that it matters, the point stands - i'm still far too devastated that i never made professional football 'cause i was shit and overweight to have sympathy for this fucker

Just my opinion, it's the way he comes across. Not all footballers are cunts.

Just my opinion, it's the way he comes across. Not all footballers are cunts.

of course they're not, but a millionaire like laursen, assuming he's not a cunt, will look back on a nice career and a comfortable retirement

i understand it's just platitudes from people, they're just unnecessary

not that it matters, the point stands - i'm still far too devastated that i never made professional football 'cause i was s*** and overweight to have sympathy for this fucker

Just my opinion, it's the way he comes across. Not all footballers are c***s.

of course they're not, but a millionaire like laursen, assuming he's not a c***, will look back on a nice career and a comfortable retirement

i understand it's just platitudes from people, they're just unnecessary

The thing is, unlike many others (some on our own books), he's not carrying on, fleecing Villa (or any other clubs) of money, while fully aware of his knee problems. He's realised he can't pursue a pro career from hereon, and has packed it in. The "honorable" thing to do.

not that it matters, the point stands - i'm still far too devastated that i never made professional football 'cause i was s*** and overweight to have sympathy for this fucker

Just my opinion, it's the way he comes across. Not all footballers are c***s.

That's no reason to feel sorry for a multi millionaire that can no longer "work" his 3 hour a day job. These pros have a fantastic life and are richly rewarded. There are way more deserving cases for my sympathy in other walks of life than Laursen.

[quote author=themanupstairs link=topic=61940.msg1806158#msg1806158 date=124239837

The thing is, unlike many others (some on our own books), he's not carrying on, fleecing Villa (or any other clubs) of money, while fully aware of his knee problems. He's realised he can't pursue a pro career from hereon, and has packed it in. The "honorable" thing to do.

this is a good point if he's retired ahead in the middle of a contract and it costs nobody anything

i'd love to hear what brummies gotta say on the deal - i'll be amazed if he's not close to the end of his contract, but i do agree he might just be a gentleman

Regardless of how much money I had, if I was a professional footballer at the top of my game I'd be absolutely gutted purely from a sporting perspective if I had to pack it in earlier than I expected.

Regardless of how much money I had, if I was a professional footballer at the top of my game I'd be absolutely gutted purely from a sporting perspective if I had to pack it in earlier than I expected.

Bingo.

With a bit of luck as a sentimental gesture,they'll let him play in the last game of the season.

and we'll reciprocate and play Owen.

If he was one of his horses, he would have been taken out the back and shot by now.

Absolutely gutted (although i knew it was coming a while back, having heard whispers).

He was a colossus. Scored 4 times in 24 for us this season, and got six goals last year. He also brought the best out of Curtis Davies until he got injuired, and marshalled the centre of defence superbly.

I never usually hang around for laps of honour, but this season will do, given the chance to say goodbye to him.

Effectively they told him that he could try to rehabilitate again, but it meant months and months of painful treatment, being effectively unable to move for hours on end. I think he's done the right thing at this point in his career.

I live not very far at all from him, and see him around quite often, he's supposed to be a thoroughly nice chap, was often seen in the company of Olof Mellberg around town (liked a tab as well, as it happens).

He'll be very difficult to replace.

Not sure about that. Conducted himself like an angry little ASBO chav at Goodison this season.

I've disliked him since but I wouldn't wish a career ending injury on anybody. Good player as well.

Not sure about that. Conducted himself like an angry little ASBO chav at Goodison this season.

I've disliked him since but I wouldn't wish a career ending injury on anybody. Good player as well.

Kind of ironic.

After Joleon Lescott had celebrated for so long like a true chav in front of our fans (similar to when he scored at our place last year, when he ran to the Holte End, turned his back on the crowd and pointed at the name on his shirt, before turning around and standing, arms outstretched in front of us), we get just enough time added on for Ashley Young to go and score at the other end.

You can hardly blame him for celebrating like that.

Fact is, had Lescott not done it AGAIN this year, we wouldn't have had the time to score, and he wouldn't have had the chance to celebrate "like a chav".