Aston Villa v Newcastle - 24/05/09 - Pre-match thread

Godot

That defence is vomit inducing. So f***ing s***.

If our best defence is Beye-Taylor-Bassong-Enrique then we are half-way there.

Unless you mean in the grand scheme of things.

The two that hold it all together are out, the weaker two plus another weaker two in Edgar/Coloccini/R Taylor is rank.

Edgar and Coloccini as central defensive partnership. Come off it lads.

Could say the same for R.Taylor right back. 

Funny how he's got the nod as substitute recently though, when needed, and that S. Taylor has been playing at centre-half since he returned as well. Edgar wasn't even named on the bench against 'Boro OR Fulham.

Why the fuck would Shearer alter the defence that much on the back of a must-win (or draw) game? It would be mental man.

If Edgar is to be chucked in at the very deepest of ends, it will either be at full-back or instead of Coloccini. The latter being far, far more likely, but still not that likely at all.

Funny how he's got the nod as substitute recently though, when needed, and that S. Taylor has been playing at centre-half since he returned as well. Edgar wasn't even named on the bench against 'Boro OR Fulham.

Why the f*** would Shearer alter the defence that much on the back of a must-win (or draw) game? It would be mental man.

If Edgar is to be chucked in at the very deepest of ends, it will either be at full-back or instead of Coloccini. The latter being far, far more likely, but still not that likely at all.

Stoke was 'must-win', Edgar was thrown in at the deep end and was our best defender.  He's to slow for RB, that's why his proper position is CB.

Using evidence such as R.Taylor has played and been on the bench means jack ****, he's **** regardless of which managers have been playing him.

Harper

R. Taylor      S. Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

Guthrie      Nolan      Butt      Duff

Owen      Viduka

SUBS: Krul, Edgar, Smith, Jonas, Lovenkrands, Martins, Ameobi.

Expecting that as it stands, biggest doubt over Owen's place IMO.

Why the f*** would Shearer alter the defence that much on the back of a must-win (or draw) game? It would be mental man.

Stoke was 'must-win', Edgar was thrown in at the deep end and was our best defender.  He's to slow for RB, that's why his proper position is CB.

Using evidence such as R.Taylor has played and been on the bench means jack ****, he's **** regardless of which managers have been playing him.

:lol:

The man who picks the team/squad has selected Ryan Taylor for the previous 2 matches and has used him from the bench when needed, while Edgar has been nowhere to be seen. How the fuck does that mean "jack shit"? It's surely evidence that Shearer favours Taylor over Edgar in regards to the current first-team squad?

IF Edgar does get thrown in, as I said, it will be for Coloccini (like it was at Stoke) not alongside him, like you were saying earlier, which would be a fucking insane selection against Carew/Heskey/Agbonlahor. I'd be worrying enough with Taylor and Edgar as a partnership after the barracking they got from Ashton/Zamora down at West Ham last season - got absolutely bullied. Coloccini/Edgar and we might as well not even bother.

:lol:

The man who picks the team/squad has selected Ryan Taylor for the previous 2 matches and has used him from the bench when needed, while Edgar has been nowhere to be seen. How the f*** does that mean "jack s***"? It's surely evidence that Shearer favours Taylor over Edgar in regards to the current first-team squad?

I thought we were talking about what we wanted rather than what Shearer would pick.  :blush:

That's what I was on about, just because Shearer picks R.Taylor it doesn't make him a good player.

Oh I don't disagree man! I said that since the day he signed. Extremely average player with no outstanding qualities, bar the odd free-kick every Boxing Day.

There's a few I could say that about though, unfortunately.

Harper

R. Taylor      S. Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

Guthrie      Nolan      Butt      Duff

Owen      Viduka

SUBS: Krul, Edgar, Smith, Jonas, Lovenkrands, Martins, Ameobi.

Expecting that as it stands, biggest doubt over Owen's place IMO.

That's probably the best balanced team we could pick, whether the two centre backs will be up to it is a doubt but there's nothing we can do about that now except keep our fingers crossed they have a good day.

Seriously lacks pace in all areas, though, which has to be a big worry against a Villa team that isn't exactly pedestrian.

Really hoping both Youngs don't make it to mean they need to have player/s out of position again.

Seriously lacks pace in all areas, though, which has to be a big worry against a Villa team that isn't exactly pedestrian.

Really hoping both Youngs don't make it to mean they need to have player/s out of position again.

I didn't pay much attention to the forward line, I was looking more at the idea of having two proper full backs for a change, but you are right. Away from home that forward line up looks far too slow. Lovenkrands for Owen maybe?

That would be my preferred option but I think Al would give Oba the nod again if Owen wasn't fit to start.

Personally I'd just go 4-3-3 and have a fucking crack at them.

That would be my preferred option but I think Al would give Oba the nod again if Owen wasn't fit to start.

Personally I'd just go 4-3-3 and have a fucking crack at them.

Whenever we've put out a side any formation other than 4-4-2 our players have looked all at sea even though on paper we should have had the players to use the formation. Some of them just need the slightest excuse not to perform I suspect. Or maybe they are just thick.

It's just a bugger having to select 2 from Oba/Viduka/Owen/Lovenkrands, for me, when they are pretty much the only players we have capable of getting goals. Viduka is the first name on the teamsheet now, surely, it's just finding the right foil for him.

I honestly think Lovenkrands would thrive next to him, but I can't see those two being given the nod.

We ALWAYS have players out of position, MON is obssessed with it.

Apparently LY is a no but AY has a decent chance.

He'll stick NRC or Gardner at RB to cover for LY, which isn't too much of a problem, unless you've got a bit of pace on your left flank.

He'll stick NRC or Gardner at RB to cover for LY, which isn't too much of a problem, unless you've got a bit of pace on your left flank.

We won't have, don't worry.

Although, so bizarre are MON's selections at time, I wouldn't rule out Brad Guzan playing at RB.

Although, so bizarre are MON's selections at time, I wouldn't rule out Brad Guzan playing at RB.

Wouldn't really matter. Neither Duff nor Jonas will put a cross in anyway. Why are all of your keepers called Brad?

Wouldn't really matter. Neither Duff nor Jonas will put a cross in anyway. Why are all of your keepers called Brad?

They're both American.

70 percent of American males are called Brad. That's a statistical truth.

They're both American.

70 percent of American males are called Brad. That's a statistical truth.

I never knew that. I'll store it in the memory bank.

It's just a bugger having to select 2 from Oba/Viduka/Owen/Lovenkrands, for me, when they are pretty much the only players we have capable of getting goals. Viduka is the first name on the teamsheet now, surely, it's just finding the right foil for him.

I honestly think Lovenkrands would thrive next to him, but I can't see those two being given the nod.

I think I'd like to see Martins come off the bench again.  So that leaves Viduka, Owen and Lovenkrands as the possible starters if I was picking the team.