Aston Villa v Newcastle - 24/05/09 - Pre-match thread

Godot

Wouldn't really matter. Neither Duff nor Jonas will put a cross in anyway. Why are all of your keepers called Brad?

They're both American.

70 percent of American males are called Brad. That's a statistical truth.

off topic, but how many Brad's are there in the US national side?

Well in their last match there was:

Brad Keller

Brad Cherundolo

Brad Conrad

Oguchi Onyewu

Brad Bocanegra

Brad Reyna

Brad Dempsey

Brad Donovan

DaBrad Beasley

Brad Lewis

Brad McBride

So, quite a few

Wouldn't really matter. Neither Duff nor Jonas will put a cross in anyway. Why are all of your keepers called Brad?

They're both American.

70 percent of American males are called Brad. That's a statistical truth.

off topic, but how many Brad's are there in the US national side?

Well in their last match there was:

Brad Keller

Brad Cherundolo

Brad Conrad

Oguchi Onyewu

Brad Bocanegra

Brad Reyna

Brad Dempsey

Brad Donovan

DaBrad Beasley

Brad Lewis

Brad McBride

So, quite a few

:lol:

It's just a bugger having to select 2 from Oba/Viduka/Owen/Lovenkrands, for me, when they are pretty much the only players we have capable of getting goals. Viduka is the first name on the teamsheet now, surely, it's just finding the right foil for him.

I honestly think Lovenkrands would thrive next to him, but I can't see those two being given the nod.

I think I'd like to see Martins come off the bench again.  So that leaves Viduka, Owen and Lovenkrands as the possible starters if I was picking the team.

That's what should have happened against fulham and I think it cost us. Martins for the last 30 mins can be really destructive, and I also have a feeling that Lovenkrands and Viduka would work well as a pair.

It's just a bugger having to select 2 from Oba/Viduka/Owen/Lovenkrands, for me, when they are pretty much the only players we have capable of getting goals. Viduka is the first name on the teamsheet now, surely, it's just finding the right foil for him.

I honestly think Lovenkrands would thrive next to him, but I can't see those two being given the nod.

I think I'd like to see Martins come off the bench again.  So that leaves Viduka, Owen and Lovenkrands as the possible starters if I was picking the team.

That's what should have happened against fulham and I think it cost us. Martins for the last 30 mins can be really destructive, and I also have a feeling that Lovenkrands and Viduka would work well as a pair.

This is what I was saying. Martins thrives when the opposition is tiring.

Im pretty sure we were all happy with Martins being on the pitch early when he ran though and smashed a clear chance against the post.

Thats what cost us, not him being on the pitch.

Im pretty sure we were all happy with Martins being on the pitch early when he ran though and smashed a clear chance against the post.

Is it just me who has read that and seen the contradiction? Impressive in a 2 sentence post!

Is it just me who has read that and seen the contradiction? Impressive in a 2 sentence post!

:lol:

Better prepare for a 10 page refutation of that statement Rich.

If Owen is fit, I'd definitely start with Owen, Martins and Viduka as a front three, with Lovenkrands coming off the bench to replace tired legs and inject pace and energy. That front three pulled us out of the sh*t last season, and it's the only combination of our strikers that has ever reaped rewards for us on a remotely consistent basis. This isn't the time to mess around or experiment.

Its just you, read over it again & rethink it.

Better prepare for a 10 page refutation of that statement Rich.

I'm ready for a nap anyway. Bring it on.

Its just you, read over it again & rethink it.

Obviously not...

Martins missing his chance doesnt mean it was wrong to play him from the start, it means that it was the right decision to do that as another player may not have even come that close.

We were just unlucky that Martins didnt finish what he probably normally would have.

No contradiction going on

Martins missing his chance doesnt mean it was wrong to play him from the start, it means that it was the right decision to do that as another player may not have even come that close.

We were just unlucky that Martins didnt finish what he probably normally would have.

You said we were all happy when he got the chance (and missed it) and then said that was the reason we lost the game. I did understand what you were getting at, but written in the way it was looked a bit odd - basically saying we were happy that he was on the pitch to miss a chance... which then cost us the game.

It's just a daft post/belief anyway, though, because who knows what might have been had Lovenkrands started? Obviously you can't say for sure either way but the result might not have been a loss, which was obviously the worst possible outcome (oh, as well as our player of the season getting sent off). Just because Martins fashioned himself a couple of chances (which he missed, for fuck's sake) during the game doesn't mean we wouldn't have had chances had he not played... if Lovenkrands starts then the entire game is different and maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't have lost.

I think that's what TRon was getting at (and it's also my belief).

At the end of the day, you think the decision to play Oba for the 90 minutes was right, others think Lovenkrands starting with Oba being used from the bench later would have been the right decision.

Your preferred method saw us lose the game 1-0, lose Bassong for 30 minutes of it (and the following match) and found us back in the relegation zone with a game to play. I would add Beye's injury to this list, but I'm not sure whether that was inevitable anyway.

Obviously it could have been worse, but it could also have been a hell of a lot better.

You said we were all happy when he got the chance (and missed it) and then said that was the reason we lost the game. I did understand what you were getting at, but written in the way it was looked a bit odd - basically saying we were happy that he was on the pitch to miss a chance... which then cost us the game.

It's just a daft post/belief anyway, though, because who knows what might have been had Lovenkrands started? Obviously you can't say for sure either way but the result might not have been a loss, which was obviously the worst possible outcome (oh, as well as our player of the season getting sent off). Just because Martins fashioned himself a couple of chances (which he missed, for fuck's sake) during the game doesn't mean we wouldn't have had chances had he not played... if Lovenkrands starts then the entire game is different and maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't have lost.

I think that's what TRon was getting at (and it's also my belief).

I don't believe Martins is fit enough to start, I said that before the Fulham game. Lovenkrands might work, he might not but at least you'd have the option of Oba on the bench, and I reckon he's got more chance of making an impact in the last 30 mins when the game is more spread out.

Newcastle manager Alan Shearer says he is "totally convinced" that his side will avoid relegation.

The Magpies, who travel to Aston Villa for their final game on Sunday, are a point adrift of safety and are relying on other results to go their way.

"I am totally convinced we will get out of it, yes, and more importantly, so are my players," said Shearer.

"We know what's at stake. I'm confident we can go there and give our great fans something to shout about, I really am."

Newcastle must better Hull's result at home against champions Manchester United to avoid being relegated to the second tier of English football.

The Magpies, who were last relegated from the top flight in 1989, have endured a tumultuous season with Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Chris Hughton and Shearer all in charge of first-team affairs at various points.

Kinnear was brought in as manager in the wake of Keegan's abrupt departure, but had to undergo heart surgery in in February. Hughton took the reins in the short-term before Shearer arrived for the final eight games of the season.

Owner Mike Ashley came in for huge criticism from supporters in the wake of Keegan's departure in September and put the club up for sale, before changing his mind in December, while there have been several changes at boardroom level - including the exit of Dennis Wise.

But with the club's Premier League survival resting on 90 minutes against Villa (and favourable results elsewhere), Shearer says the size of the match is as big as any he has ever been involved in.

"It's bigger than a cup final, a hell of a lot bigger than a cup final," added Shearer, who has taken five points from a possible 21 since taking the role at the start of April.

"The question has been asked on four or five occasions over the last four or five games, 'is this the biggest game of your career?', and I keep answering, 'yes, because it's the next one'.

"We have asked the players to forget about what happened when we lost [1-0 at home] to Fulham last weekend, because it's gone, we can't change it.

"What we can change is this weekend and I believe if we go there and win, it will be a very very good day for us."

West Brom are already down, but two from Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Hull and Sunderland will join them in the Championship next season.

Boro must win beat West Ham away to stand any chance of survival, while Sunderland, who are two points above Newcastle, face Chelsea at home.

Source

ah f*** it, I believe   :indi:

He's torn, you can tell. Loves the Toon man.

If it was the other way around I'd want Villa to stay up, personally. Especially ahead of Birmingham and Hull.

Newcastle manager Alan Shearer says he is "totally convinced" that his side will avoid relegation.

The Magpies, who travel to Aston Villa for their final game on Sunday, are a point adrift of safety and are relying on other results to go their way.

"I am totally convinced we will get out of it, yes, and more importantly, so are my players," said Shearer.

"We know what's at stake. I'm confident we can go there and give our great fans something to shout about, I really am."

Newcastle must better Hull's result at home against champions Manchester United to avoid being relegated to the second tier of English football.

The Magpies, who were last relegated from the top flight in 1989, have endured a tumultuous season with Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Chris Hughton and Shearer all in charge of first-team affairs at various points.

Kinnear was brought in as manager in the wake of Keegan's abrupt departure, but had to undergo heart surgery in in February. Hughton took the reins in the short-term before Shearer arrived for the final eight games of the season.

Owner Mike Ashley came in for huge criticism from supporters in the wake of Keegan's departure in September and put the club up for sale, before changing his mind in December, while there have been several changes at boardroom level - including the exit of Dennis Wise.

But with the club's Premier League survival resting on 90 minutes against Villa (and favourable results elsewhere), Shearer says the size of the match is as big as any he has ever been involved in.

"It's bigger than a cup final, a hell of a lot bigger than a cup final," added Shearer, who has taken five points from a possible 21 since taking the role at the start of April.

"The question has been asked on four or five occasions over the last four or five games, 'is this the biggest game of your career?', and I keep answering, 'yes, because it's the next one'.

"We have asked the players to forget about what happened when we lost [1-0 at home] to Fulham last weekend, because it's gone, we can't change it.

"What we can change is this weekend and I believe if we go there and win, it will be a very very good day for us."

West Brom are already down, but two from Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Hull and Sunderland will join them in the Championship next season.

Boro must win beat West Ham away to stand any chance of survival, while Sunderland, who are two points above Newcastle, face Chelsea at home.

Source

ah f*** it, I believe   :indi:

In Big Al we trust!  :smitten: :banana:

He's torn, you can tell. Loves the Toon man.

If it was the other way around I'd want Villa to stay up, personally. Especially ahead of Birmingham and Hull.

Told you, you're staying up, the worry is null and void.

You'll see. I shall be here on Sunday evening saying "told you so".