Will we come straight back up??

Steggy

Guest saintscoobz

we are not down yet

Not officially no - but good as

Fergie's Man U juniors will help with that at Hull, and our goal-desert players will just draw a line under the fact at Villa

And to make things a thousand times worse - the main cause of our distress - ASHLEY - could then bring back the Keystone Kop of management, KINNEAR to finish off his revenge against a small portion of "cockney mafia" peabrains amongst our crowd, and finish the Leeds-esque job on NUFC

well i have said on other threads that Ashleys tenure here is part of an elaborate ploy by Spurs to destroy our club, however we are not relegated yet and i think it is futile to speculate on whether we will come straight back up when its not even certain we are going down.

I do agree that Man U are going to do us no favours at the weekend but come on guys have a little bit of faith.

Guest Magpiecn

The Championship is quite an unpredictable league, I think we'd struggle but that depends on what happens in the summer. If Shearer stayed and managed to somehow bring in an entire new team to replace the masses fleeing the sinking ship then I would feel a lot more confident. If somehow Kinnear found his way back to the club to try and get the club back into the Premiership I could see how us lurking in the bottom half of the Championship.

Dont mention this name any more,he's nothing but nightmare,I just hope he turn to play golf.

I'd love to know how many players (if any) have a clause in their contract reducing their wages if we go down. I would imagine anyone who has signed a new contract this season has. So that would be Harper, R.Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Ameobi, Carroll. Anyone else?

Surely they will have. The media don't know the full details of player contracts. I'm sure Nolan will be on over £30,000 a week and Taylor will probably be getting around that sort of money so no way would we have signed them without a wage drop clause when we knew we were in a relegation fight.

Guest Phil K

Phil, I don't see why you're so convinced that Man Utd will lose to Hull. It's more likely than if they played their whole first team, but surely they'll still have more than enough to win?

Hope you're right.

But Hull will break legs in order to stay up

Man U won't want to get such treatment whether Fergie plays first teamers (he won't) or 1st team squad members (no again) or, more likely, the bubbling unders, who may want to do well to impress, but won't want to spend their summer on crutches. Listening to Megson on the frothing-at-the-mouth Hull bench's antics, I can imagine Hull being even worse last game considering they're at home too with a referee who'll not be so keen to put them down as Webb was for us, I can't see anything good to come of it.

Our lot will, as they've done all season, play as if sulky and more interested in where they'll be next season

The best I can hope for is a shock win for Man U schoolboys as Hull have 7 players sent off, and we get an unexpected draw to survive on goal diff

Seeing as how most mutterings from SJP seem to be about how bad things were under Kinnear (fitness, discipline etc), I don't think even Ashley is clueless enough to want to go back to that. If we go down, I would still expect Shearer to stay on, or at worst he will have some kind of input in to who should come in.

I would imagine Shearer to be quite visionary, and have enough about him to keep players at the club for a stab at promotion first time around. The likes of Bassong, Beye, Guthrie and perhaps even Viduka(on a much reduced wage on a pay per play deal) should be around next season regardless, as I feel they actually give a shit and may feel it's their duty to stick around, although I think they'd get some sort of clause guaranteeing them a transfer should we not come straight back up.

Ashley is known as a gambler, and I think he might listen to Shearer in that it's worth a gamble assembling a quality side to attempt promotion first time around. This way the loss in revenue is only restricted to one season, and hopefully selling the likes of Martins and Barton and getting rid of a few of the higher earners (Owen, Smith, Geremi etc) should be some kind of recompense angainst this. Their combined salaries should come in somewhere around £15M in savings, along with perhaps £10Mish for Barton and Martins. Add that to the parachute payment and we're not far away financially from where we'd be in the premiership.

I know we'll lose out in other areas, but I really think as we'd be a big draw for the other teams in the championship, they'd bring some good away followings with them, and if we assemble a team capable of winning a la Keegan the last time we were down there, we'd do alright crowd wise. At that time we regularly pulled in 36,000 plus for games with many more locked outside the ground. Whilst not great, ONE season only in the Championship wouldn't be as damaging as many think. We aren't financially in the shit like Leeds were, and if we can retain Shearer, have someone who I believe could assemble a team that would do well down there. There are quite a few young players who we've been linked to as a premiership team (Ledley, Fox, Barnes etc), who wouldn't be beyond our grasp as we'd still be a big draw with a high profile manager.

I know it's still not over, but as has been said many times we're not a relegation team on paper. There is some genuine quality through the team, but also some "couldn't give a shit" deadwood as well. Get rid of the deadwood, try and retain some of the quality for 12 months and add some of the better Championship players who are young and improving and it might well turn out for the best!!!

Seeing as how most mutterings from SJP seem to be about how bad things were under Kinnear (fitness, discipline etc), I don't think even Ashley is clueless enough to want to go back to that. If we go down, I would still expect Shearer to stay on, or at worst he will have some kind of input in to who should come in.

I would imagine Shearer to be quite visionary, and have enough about him to keep players at the club for a stab at promotion first time around. The likes of Bassong, Beye, Guthrie and perhaps even Viduka(on a much reduced wage on a pay per play deal) should be around next season regardless, as I feel they actually give a shit and may feel it's their duty to stick around, although I think they'd get some sort of clause guaranteeing them a transfer should we not come straight back up.

Ashley is known as a gambler, and I think he might listen to Shearer in that it's worth a gamble assembling a quality side to attempt promotion first time around. This way the loss in revenue is only restricted to one season, and hopefully selling the likes of Martins and Barton and getting rid of a few of the higher earners (Owen, Smith, Geremi etc) should be some kind of recompense angainst this. Their combined salaries should come in somewhere around £15M in savings, along with perhaps £10Mish for Barton and Martins. Add that to the parachute payment and we're not far away financially from where we'd be in the premiership.

I know we'll lose out in other areas, but I really think as we'd be a big draw for the other teams in the championship, they'd bring some good away followings with them, and if we assemble a team capable of winning a la Keegan the last time we were down there, we'd do alright crowd wise. At that time we regularly pulled in 36,000 plus for games with many more locked outside the ground. Whilst not great, ONE season only in the Championship wouldn't be as damaging as many think. We aren't financially in the shit like Leeds were, and if we can retain Shearer, have someone who I believe could assemble a team that would do well down there. There are quite a few young players who we've been linked to as a premiership team (Ledley, Fox, Barnes etc), who wouldn't be beyond our grasp as we'd still be a big draw with a high profile manager.

I know it's still not over, but as has been said many times we're not a relegation team on paper. There is some genuine quality through the team, but also some "couldn't give a shit" deadwood as well. Get rid of the deadwood, try and retain some of the quality for 12 months and add some of the better Championship players who are young and improving and it might well turn out for the best!!!

Good post, although the bit in bold is concerning me a bit. Saying "ONE" season is quite a big 'if'. And also, going down could well see us do a Leeds unless the people who sort the finances are very shrewd and know what they're doing.

Otherwise, spot on.

Guest Phil K

I think we can safely assume the players mentioned are going even if a miracle happens and we do stay up

And frankly I hope whoever signs Owen get the same minimal returns we got off him.

One things certain though where he's concerned - there'll be contract safeguards against his injuries, and he'll not get half of what we paid him

Think we would struggle to tbh. I think West Brom and Boro will be better equipped in that the majority of their players will stay and they won't have as much of a turn around as us.

I don't know about that like.  Wage bill of about £35 million (AFAIR) and turnover of £58 million(?).  They're losing money at the moment, so if they lose around £35-£40 million in revenue (Premiership money, loss in match income and merchandise) then technically they're going to have to sack the entire squad just to keep losing the money they are now :lol:  In reality of course Gibson's just going to have to subsidise the club even more heavily, but he can't absorb an extra £30+ million a season so they're definitely going to have to at least chop their wage bill in half if not into a third of what it is now to limit those increased losses.

The Championship is quite an unpredictable league, I think we'd struggle but that depends on what happens in the summer. If Shearer stayed and managed to somehow bring in an entire new team to replace the masses fleeing the sinking ship then I would feel a lot more confident. If somehow Kinnear found his way back to the club to try and get the club back into the Premiership I could see how us lurking in the bottom half of the Championship.

Yes I agree totally!. I hope to god we never see Kinnear again.

Totally agree but I think we are going to see him again at some point.

I just have a little feeling that Shearer is going to be our manager for next season, if we go down.

Good post, although the bit in bold is concerning me a bit. Saying "ONE" season is quite a big 'if'. And also, going down could well see us do a Leeds unless the people who sort the finances are very shrewd and know what they're doing.

Going down itself would cut the wages massively with all the high earners wanting to leave left right and centre to play Premiership Football.  We aren't in debt to begin with so I don't see anyway we could "do a leeds".

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I agree totally!. I hope to god we never see Kinnear again.

Totally agree but I think we are going to see him again at some point.

I just have a little feeling that Shearer is going to be our manager for next season, if we go down.

We shall see...

how about this for a championship team?

Foster

R.Taylor  Kadar  Edgar  Tozer

LuaLua  Geremi  Butt  Donaldson

Ameobi  Carroll  

so to answer your question, no.

How about this as your team:

Carroll      LuaLua                               

Taarabt            Butt/Guthrie     De Ridder            Gera

Enrique             Taylor           Edgar/Bassong        Beye

Throw in possiblities of Giles Barnes and Darron Gibson & Jack Wilshire on loan, then the answers yes. Why not? Damn right its a challenge, but a challenge there to do and win.

Too many unknowns at the present.  Who will be the manager next season?  What players will we have?  Who will own the club? 

The present squad would be unsuited to the championship and other teams will up their game against us.  Of all the teams in the relegation zone, we would be the least equipped to come back plus there are the also-rans from the CCC who may improve next year.

If we were to splash the cash, then I would see us as a more attractive proposition to players in that league than other teams but no doubt as usual, prices would be inflated for us.

Very pessimistic I am afraid.

This - mostly on the mark.

West Brom will overtake us in the Championship. Unlike us they're not a work in progress, played some good football in the engine room but ultimately lacked the required ability at the bookends of the park in order to keep afloat in the premiership. Whereas imo they're ready made to bounce straight back up.

As for our situation. Too many questions unanswered with regards to our youngsters - kids who should've seen more 1st team action already. Speak of the likes of Lua Lua & Ranger in particular. The championship - and i refer to physical nature of it - is a tough blooding ground for the youngsters, when compared to the accelerated pace in which kids to seem to flourish thanks to the open expanses they enjoy in the premiership.

Not impressed so far in relation to the area of team shape - which would become an inherent problem for any of Kinnear's successors in the wake of JK's anti-football - under Shearer. I expected some improvement in this department, just a slight improvement down the season's stretch. Unfortunately it didn't come to fruition.

The answer the question posed in the original post. In short, no.

Guest Magpiecn

I'm not so optimistic that we can straight back.There're many unknown things existing.We still dont know what policies Ashley will have,we still dont know which players will leave and come,even we arent still sure which our manager will be.Its still too early to discuss whether we can promote next season.

Guest Brewcastle

I take nothing for granted. Will see the team and manager before I have any thoughts about "going straight back up".

The heart says of course yes. But I'm afraid it's harder to promote from Championship than stay safe in Premier Leauge. And who knows what kind of stunts the leadership/board in NUFC comes up with next season.....?  :crazy2:

We are going to come straight back up

Where we will sign future Chelsea flops Pirlo and Marcelo will also be the season where Nile Ranger makes his senior England debut. :coolsmiley:

Guest Roger Kint

Too many unknowns at the present.  Who will be the manager next season?  What players will we have?  Who will own the club? 

The present squad would be unsuited to the championship and other teams will up their game against us.  Of all the teams in the relegation zone, we would be the least equipped to come back plus there are the also-rans from the CCC who may improve next year.

If we were to splash the cash, then I would see us as a more attractive proposition to players in that league than other teams but no doubt as usual, prices would be inflated for us.

Very pessimistic I am afraid.

This - mostly on the mark.

Agree.

To be honest at this time finishing in the top 10 next season will be an acheivement in my eyes. Over the summer i think we will see more clearly what we should be looking for. I think anyone assuming or expecting to go straight back should prepare for another disappointment to be fair.