Who do you blame for the mess ?

Guest Phil K

I almost don't want to post this, as I know we have enough threads debating Ashley, but just to say he is to blame is far too simplistic.

Yes, he could have prevented this situation if he had wanted/managed to find a proper manager after KK left... but then again if Keegan hadn't walked out and the fans hadn't thrown their toys out of the pram none of that would have been required anyway.

There are far too many variables and possible things that did and didn't happen to try to blame anyone. Let's just hope Ashley gets a chance to put things right in the Premiership.

The blame doesn't belong entirely to any one group/person.

Mike Ashley is by far and away the primary reason we are where we are though, no mistake about it.

His whole attitude was wrong from the beginning, ie looking for something to have some fun with etc...Silly cunt.

Mike Ashley is by far and away the primary reason we are where we are though, no mistake about it.

His whole attitude was wrong from the beginning, ie looking for something to have some fun with etc...Silly cunt.

this thread took my mind back to SJH and what he said when he sold up, something about only selling the clubs to someone who had the means to look after it iirc

wonder what the fuck happened?

Yes, he could have prevented this situation if he had wanted/managed to find a proper manager after KK left... but then again if Keegan hadn't walked out and the fans hadn't thrown their toys out of the pram none of that would have been required anyway.

Which Premier League manager WOULDN'T have walked after two (mediocre at very best) players were signed without his say-so?

this thread took my mind back to SJH and what he said when he sold up, something about only selling the clubs to someone who had the means to look after it iirc

wonder what the fuck happened?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!

I blame Ashley his decisions and transfer dealings are what have killed us, in a season and a half this bloke has destroyed this club.

The destruction is still ongoing.

I would like to know what really happened with Keegan. It's hard to know how to allocate blame without knowing what exactly was behind one of the pivotal moments of the season. The fact that it happened so early in the season only increased its significance. Properly undermined or just a hissy fit?

Which Premier League manager WOULDN'T have walked after two (mediocre at very best) players were signed without his say-so?

Well I don't want to get into this whole debate again, all I'll say is that we don't know what actually happened.

I would like to know what really happened with Keegan. It's hard to know how to allocate blame without knowing what exactly was behind one of the pivotal moments of the season. The fact that it happened so early in the season only increased its significance. Properly undermined or just a hissy fit?

With Keegan's history you could make a case for either side although for me there wasn't enough respect shown for someone who knew more about the game than Ashley or his team have been able to grasp. What is undeniable though is that since Keegan left the decision making has been a disgrace from Kinnear's over-staying his welcome to dithering without a manager while he was laid up in hospital. No one else is to blame for that.

With Keegan's history you could make a case for either side although for me there wasn't enough respect shown for someone who knew more about the game than Ashley or his team have been able to grasp. What is undeniable though is that since Keegan left the decision making has been a disgrace from Kinnear's over-staying his welcome to dithering without a manager while he was laid up in hospital. No one else is to blame for that.

in a nutshell - if we go down this is why

Shepherd can be held accountable for the demise from being in the top 6 clubs but then he also helped us to get there. Ashley is the one I really blame for the mess, his decisions have been at best extremely stupid and to me they seem almost unbelievable.  The worrying thing is I still think there will be more to come from him. there are countless decisions he has made thus far that would of resulted us not being a relegation battle. I am certain of that.

in a nutshell - if we go down this is why

Yup, this.  :thup:

Have a certain degree of sympathy that we may not have been able to get anyone better than Kinnear short term, but as soon as we were taken off the market, the seriousness of our situation needed to be realized and acted upon far sooner. Leaving aside all previous issues like debts or Keegan, they failed massively in this respect.

The primary cause of the instability was nevertheless the Keegan incident. Last summer we had some expectations of a watchable season to come under a talismanic manager. After a decent start the whole show got blown tits up 3 matches in, leaving the club needing to find a manager at exactly the wrong moment in the season (about the same stage of the season that Souness arrived as our third or fourth choice iirc). I can't be alone in feeling certain that we would have had a decent season under Keegan and maybe even the likes of Charlie Zog and Given may not have forced their way out. The whole Keegan incident left a mess that would be hard to manage for any club. We'll never know who the possible willing candidates were post KK, given the timing and the perceived circumstances, but I could well believe Kinnear was one of very few. So my point was that I would like to now how much either party contributed to the situation that screwed everything up in the first place. 

No argument with what you say about the catastrophic faffing about post Kinnear btw.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Agreed.

He's been in charge for two years.

98% of the decisions he made have been wrong.

All he wanted was a "bit of fun".

Well, Newcastle United means more to so many people than just being a rich man's toy.

He didn't have a fucking clue about the people of this region and what this clubs means to so many of us.

So much blame to go around it's hard to know where to start.

Ashley for somehow always managing to back the wrong person at the wrong time & failing to supply adequate funding for players.

Keegan for walking out

Kinnear for walking in

But mainly the players.  Most of them have international caps, some have won leagues and cups yet they can't seem to manage the most basic things like passing the ball to a team mate.

The mess started the day Robson was sacked. The mismangement/timing of this act (and it doesn't matter if Robson should or shouldn't have been moved upstairs, the decision should have been made in the June/July) immediately erased the work of the prior 3 years.

Then along came Souness and out went our attacking nous and potency. Our Va va vooom, our Mojo, our testicular fortitute all gone in the space of 3/4s of a season.

Then came the Master Plan. Lets spunk the best part of £50m on 4 players (not including Boumsong....), none of whom seemed to fit onto any long term plan. If it works great, if not then.... (we know whats coming now).

Glenn Roeder seems like a nice bloke and did well alongside Shearer for a few games. He's obviously a better bet then that Eugene Levy bloke they've now got at Villa. Oh shit Owens gone and broken himself again - enter Sibierski!

Oh well, Glenn sans Shearer actually wasn't all that great was he, and I've run out of cash (damn that Albert Luque fellow). Big Sam works well on a budget (and a few pies). Shame he prefers cloggers like Smith to pace and unpredictability like Dyer. I'm selling up by the way - all hail Mike Ashley.

Sam's a bit naff really isn't he - lets get Keegan back, he'll work well with Shearer - oops Al wants to stay on the telly, oh well Dennis is a good DoF instead.

You know what, Keegan wants to buy Henry, who does he think I am - a billionaire? lol/rofl/pmsl. Dennis can take charge of transfers and make me a bti of money in the process. Shit, I've scared Keggy off. I'm outta here, the fans have turned into a baying mob and want my testicles for tea. No I'm not, can't sell (fuck) - Joe, getting your fucking arse over here, just don't die on me...

Good transfer window me thinks, get rid of the last remaining pace and replace it with Nolan and Taylor (and I've made a bit of cash). Joe's dead (maybe). Chrissy boy will see me right.

Oh bollocks, Al - HELP!!!!!!!!!

Someone forgot to bribe Howard Webb.

And here we are.

Its impossible to blame one (or even two people). Its been a long slow painful (laughable from the outside) process to get to where we are today. shepherd started it, many contributed in the middle and Ashleys change of direction failed to stop it and in many ways accelerated it.

Oh fuck it - the real reason we are where we are today is selling Aaron Hughes for £1m (either that or Phil Neville taking out Gillespie at Old Trafford, December 1995)