Steve Harper

James

Guest NobbyOhNobby

People are missing the point of the OP. Its not that Harper isn't good enough for the championship, or a scapegoat for our relegation or anything, its merely that he is now blocking the club's future. We have a goalkeeper on our books who would have played for either a CL team or a top Dutch team this season had a £3m transfer not been blocked by the board. The choice is between the future and the past, and if we go for the past, we aren't going to see the future, and will have to start looking for a keeper when we come back up.

I think we need to get Krul in or we lose him, simple as that. Was mint by all accounts at Falkirk and Carlisle, and is the only goalkeeper in NUFC history with a 100% clean-sheet record.........

I was really disappointed with Harper, always rated him  highly until the 2nd half of this season. His kicking was really poor, as was his general anticipation and command of his area. I think the keepers position should be up for grabs this season.

Also, Krul is really ugly. All good teams have ugly keepers

People are missing the point of the OP. Its not that Harper isn't good enough for the championship, or a scapegoat for our relegation or anything, its merely that he is now blocking the club's future. We have a goalkeeper on our books who would have played for either a CL team or a top Dutch team this season had a £3m transfer not been blocked by the board. The choice is between the future and the past, and if we go for the past, we aren't going to see the future, and will have to start looking for a keeper when we come back up.

Sounds like an episode of Lost.

I think Harper should be first choice.

We can't just stick Krul in "because he'll leave us otherwise." We need to play the player who's good enough, pure and simple and we know that Harper is. We don't know if Krul is. Yes, Krul may very well be better than Harper one day but he needs to prove it first.

Preparing for the Premiership before we're actually in the Premiership is a great way to make sure that we never get there in the first place.

Harper has shown us one thing - he's definitely not the long term solution. Although some keepers are good well into their late 30's, hoping Harper will be one of these everlasting late bloomers is mere sentiment imo, and not based on actual performance levels.

Unless Krul is dogshit in training, if he isn't given a run in the team, then we won't actually know if he's any good. For too long we've been a club that has pandered to experienced/senior players who are hardly top class, rarely giving youth a chance. Even those youngsters that we have established and developed in recent times, the likes of Taylor and N'Zogbia, were only given their debuts and a run in the team due to injuries (and paper thin squads) forcing the manager to play them. Had they not been so lucky, had circumstances not favoured them, we'd probably have let them rot in the reserves.

Harper has shown us one thing - he's definitely not the long term solution. Although some keepers are good well into their late 30's, hoping Harper will be one of these everlasting late bloomers is mere sentiment imo, and not based on actual performance levels.

Unless Krul is dogshit in training, if he isn't given a run in the team, then we won't actually know if he's any good. For too long we've been a club that has pandered to experienced/senior players who are hardly top class, rarely giving youth a chance. Even those youngsters that we have established and developed in recent times, the likes of Taylor and N'Zogbia, were only given their debuts and a run in the team due to injuries (and paper thin squads) forcing the manager to play them. Had they not been so lucky, had circumstances not favoured them, we'd probably have let them rot in the reserves.

Krul can have all the cup games. Best solution all around imo.

Krul can have all the cup games. Best solution all around imo.

Not sure. We're probably talking about what, 3-4 league cup games tops and another 3-4 FA Cup games, spread over roughly 7 months?

What has Harper done in the 5 months since Given's departure to nail a first team spot in the team? If Krul is capable of performing like he did against Palermo to a consistent level, he could well be the better keeper. A season in the Championship could be the making of him, and would boost our promotion hopes considerably if he turned out to be a better keeper than the complacent Harper.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Krul is the future, Harper the past

What about the present?

Krul is the immediate future (oxymoron?) Harper is the past?

• 2 months later...

Made two brilliant saves tonight. It's such an easy compliment to pay but his one on one at the gallowgate and the tip over from the free-kick were absolutely brilliant.

Showed why he is no.1, well played  :clap:

Made two brilliant saves tonight. It's such an easy compliment to pay but his one on one at the gallowgate and the tip over from the free-kick were absolutely brilliant.

Harper stayed on his line and played safe. Krul is the better prospect and a much braver keeper. Krul is the keeper who will be in demand over the next season or so IMO.

Harper stayed on his line and played safe. Krul is the better prospect and a much braver keeper. Krul is the keeper who will be in demand over the next season or so IMO.

what you say is true but it doesn't answer who is best for us to have in goal right now........harper for me but not by much.

what you say is true but it doesn't answer who is best for us to have in goal right now........harper for me but not by much.

I'd go for Krul. I doubt he'll cost us any more goals than Harper, and I don't care if we lose Harper to another team if they want to buy him. Please buy Harper!!

that is my message to any teams interested.

And we're left with what? Krul, who hasn't even played 2 full games for us, and forster - enough said

And we're left with what? Krul, who hasn't even played 2 full games for us, and forster - enough said

How come? Is anybody going to snatch Steve Harper from us in the next week or so?

More chance of Allardyce making a late move for Geremi or Barton I reckon.

You said you wanted someone to buy Harper, which is obviously the last thing we need

It's also the last thing which is likely to happen. No one wants Steve Harper as far as I know.

Guest Heneage

You said you wanted someone to buy Harper, which is obviously the last thing we need

It's also the last thing which is likely to happen. No one wants Steve Harper as far as I know.

If made available I could easily see 2-3 prem clubs such as Hull take a punt.

If made available I could easily see 2-3 prem clubs such as Hull take a punt.

Why don't they take a punt then? Everyone's up for sale if you hadn't noticed.