Steve Harper

James

Want to see him sacked off, can't see it happening. He'll be the type who we keep and see the squad "built around". Krul will be the one to go.

In a nutshell.

Guest optimistic nit

He's been fine. He saves the shots that he's supposed to save and doesn't save the ones that he's not supposed to save. It's ok. He's an average gk and unless he's on a big wage, I think he's more than good enough for us.

Forster and Krul haven't played a competitive football match in over a year, and Krul did it in freakin' Scotland too. I'd rather sell one of the kids (like Forster or Krul, depending on who's worse) and let Harper mentor the better kid.

if either of those two is good enough to be our future number 1 they need to play quite a few games next year. if we're not going to blood a keeper in in the championship then he's not going to get his chance in the PL.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't know where all of this is coming from. He hasn't been Given, but he's been solid and hasn't dropped any clangers.

Tottenham?

One contentious mistake since January...nay since slipping over at Anfield?   Hardly Hooperesque.

Not coming out for Bassong's red card. Not calling and punching for the corner yesterday.

Seriously? The ball was at Kamaras feet and he was at least 45 yards from goal. Harper wouldnt have got anywhere near the action, and if he Kamara hadnt went down he would have lobbed him.

Pent up anger at Given's sale means Harper has become Scapegoat One.

He's decent enough for the Premiership never mind the Championship. I'd love to keep Krul but not at the expense of a perfectly functional first team keeper.

He's nowhere near good enough for the Premiership and in my opinion will struggle in the Championship. Far too sluggish and 'awkward' and well his kicking is just woeful, he expects far too much time to be able to get rid. And I've said that since the day Given left. Got to give Krul a chance or he will be away.

Guest Heneage

His distribution is horribly slow, and the one time he tried it quickly it went horribly wrong.

I don't understand why people are saying our underperformers aren't good enough for the Championship. Theres hardly anyone in that squad who is League One standard, most of them are more than good enough for that league. Obviously we need to sell because of high wages, people wanting out and to raise funds for the players we want. Theres a huge difference in the quality between the Premiership and Championship.

Some stats which are "meaningless" because they consistently show something most don't want to admit:

games	shots	goals	shots/goal	save %	goals/game
06-07
Harper			16.06	72		18		4			75.0	1.12
Given			20.9	98		27		3.63		72.4	1.29

07-08
Harper			19.91	103		28		3.68		72.8	1.41
Given			18.09	91		37		2.46		59.3	2.05

08-09
Harper			16		83		22		3.77		73.5	1.38
Given (NUFC)	22		109		37		2.95		66.1	1.68

I think we have bigger problems than goal keeper. For now I am happy to keep Harper and use Krul as back up. He may not be as good as Shay Given but its nowhere near a problem position for us. He is one of the better keepers in the Championship. It would be good to see Krul given more games next season, maybe he could play all cup games regardless of the opposition?

I think we have bigger problems than goal keeper. For now I am happy to keep Harper and use Krul as back up. He may not be as good as Shay Given but its nowhere near a problem position for us. He is one of the better keepers in the Championship. It would be good to see Krul given more games next season, maybe he could play all cup games regardless of the opposition?

Hear hear.

Probably true, we have much bigger fish to fry in the transfer market than goalkeeper.  The only possible sticking point is the wages, and if he's as good as people on here seem to think he is, we should be able to get a million quid for him if his wages are untenable.

What I would like to see, however, is some sort of long term plan for our next GK.  Whether it's Forster, Soderberg, or Krul we need to show that we have some plan for bedding in our next keeper.  One day something is gonna happen to Harper and those 3 have I believe 1 first team game between them

As much as i would love to see Krul be our number one next season, theres not a cat in hells chance of Harper leaving.

I dont believe Harper is good enough, and certainly not comanding enough as he showed again at Villa. If he hasnt left previously, he certainly aint gonna leave now he's number one. Bet he's gets a decent wedge too as number one, where as Krul will earn significently less.

May as well give Krul a go, surely if he can survive in the SPL he should be good enough for the Championship. Good opportunity for him to get experience without having to go on loan, ready for our triumphant promotion this time next year!

Guest guinness_fiend

May as well give Krul a go, surely if he can survive in the SPL he should be good enough for the Championship. Good opportunity for him to get experience without having to go on loan, ready for our triumphant promotion this time next year!

Aside from Rangers and Celtic, I doubt that many SPL teams are anywhere near as strong as the top 10 teams in the Championship.

Come on people. Harper is more than good enough for the Championship. Seriously, look at some of the keepers who are doing just fine in the division.

As for Krul, I'm sure he's a fine prospect but ultimately we have absolutely no evidence that he's ready for first team football other than 90 fantastic minutes against Palermo three years ago. He should have to prove himself like everyone else. We can't just knee-jerk and throw him in over Harper just because he's become everybody's new favorite scapegoat.

I'm all for giving him the Cup games regardless of opposition next season, but Harper keeps the number 1 shirt by default unless Krul has an bsolutely mindblowing pre-season.

Come on people. Harper is more than good enough for the Championship. Seriously, look at some of the keepers who are doing just fine in the division.

As for Krul, I'm sure he's a fine prospect but ultimately we have absolutely no evidence that he's ready for first team football other than 90 fantastic minutes against Palermo three years ago. He should have to prove himself like everyone else. We can't just knee-jerk and throw him in over Harper just because he's become everybody's new favorite scapegoat.

I'm all for giving him the Cup games regardless of opposition next season, but Harper keeps the number 1 shirt by default unless Krul has an bsolutely mindblowing pre-season.

Totally agree.

rational,sensible,non knee -jerk or full of blind prejudice.

you've no place on here kidda.

Yep. I find it quite bizarre that people are trying to blame Harper?

He's not as good as Shay Given, but he's hardly the root of our problem. He'll be one of the better Championship goalkeepers, and there's no need to take the risk of having a relatively unproven, but very promising goalkeeper in there.

Harper first choice with Krul as backup is fine IMO.

I think the #1 shirt should be  up for grabs, very clearly, during the preseason.  I don't think we should worry about GKs in the transfer market, just keep the ones we have.  But  Christ, Harper  was the man between the sticks for our entire demise, he floundered along with everyone  else as we went down without a whimper, there's scant evidence from January onwards that he should keep the #1 shirt by default.  I'm not saying get rid, in fact, I think we should keep, but those out there saying he should start on August 8 by default are barking up the wrong tree.  Let him wear the shirt if he shows he deserves to keep it over someone else during preseason.

Guest Ebolarama

We'll never promot Krul. We've got too comfortable with Harper, and we will lose a fine young talent. See if this doesn't happen.

I think the #1 shirt should be  up for grabs, very clearly, during the preseason.  I don't think we should worry about GKs in the transfer market, just keep the ones we have.  But  Christ, Harper  was the man between the sticks for our entire demise, he floundered along with everyone  else as we went down without a whimper, there's scant evidence from January onwards that he should keep the #1 shirt by default.  I'm not saying get rid, in fact, I think we should keep, but those out there saying he should start on August 8 by default are barking up the wrong tree.  Let him wear the shirt if he shows he deserves to keep it over someone else during preseason.

Apart from the evidence that we've always conceded less goals with Harper in net than with Given you mean?

People are missing the point of the OP. Its not that Harper isn't good enough for the championship, or a scapegoat for our relegation or anything, its merely that he is now blocking the club's future. We have a goalkeeper on our books who would have played for either a CL team or a top Dutch team this season had a £3m transfer not been blocked by the board. The choice is between the future and the past, and if we go for the past, we aren't going to see the future, and will have to start looking for a keeper when we come back up.