Championship Players

Dan Gleebals

Chris Brunt.

And someone who we know will get around 20 goals a season. Eg Jason Scotland, Sylvain Ebanks Blake...

Honestly, I don't know why any of those three you've named would join you. Brunt is in a side who'll probably find bouncing back easier than you, seeing as they've got a proven Championship side. Ebanks-Blake gets a shot at the Premiership. And Jason Scotland is playing for a really exciting club atm and is their talisman, it's no more than a sideways step. You'll be able to attract more players than any other team, but the star players of teams you're competing with (unless they hit financial difficulties) will probably be slightly out of reach. The clubs won't want to sell them and beyond money I can't see why players would take a sideways step.

Chris Brunt is in a side who might have a good chance of coming back up but will have absolutely no chance of staying there.  A side with nowhere near our level of stadium, training facilities or wage structure.  Ebanks-Blake fair enough, he'll likely be raring to go in the Premiership after a long hard season trying to get their with Wolves.  For Jason Scotland see Chris Brunt.

Kevin Doyle and Joe Ledley are the two outstanding targets in my opinion, I'd then consider the likes of Stephen Hunt, Chris Eagles and even Routledge. 

Good shout for Eagles, he looks like the Championship's Cristiano Ronaldo.

Chris Brunt.

And someone who we know will get around 20 goals a season. Eg Jason Scotland, Sylvain Ebanks Blake...

Honestly, I don't know why any of those three you've named would join you. Brunt is in a side who'll probably find bouncing back easier than you, seeing as they've got a proven Championship side. Ebanks-Blake gets a shot at the Premiership. And Jason Scotland is playing for a really exciting club atm and is their talisman, it's no more than a sideways step. You'll be able to attract more players than any other team, but the star players of teams you're competing with (unless they hit financial difficulties) will probably be slightly out of reach. The clubs won't want to sell them and beyond money I can't see why players would take a sideways step.

Sorry mate, but that's nonsense. I'm the first person to say that Newcastle shouldn't have this "bigger than you" attitude, but players like Brunt would jump at the chance of joining.

I personally don't think that if you offered him the same wage he's on at WBA that he'd go. If he would, it'd be for the money as well, and the fee that you'd pay for him would simply not be worth it. You are a big club and will be the biggest club in the league next season, but every team finishing in and around the play-offs this season and those coming down will be looking to keep hold of their best players (Paterson, Eagles, Brunt, Bodde, Ledley etc.) rather than sell them to their rivals. The money you'd have to pay would be excessive and it really would not be worth it. I do think though that WBA are a safer bet on bouncing straight back than you, and that for their players to switch to you wouldn't really be worth it for them unless you're paying silly wages (which you don't want to be doing). Although you really couldn't go wrong signing Paul Robinson.

There are some real good players below the 'cream' of the Championship, younger players, but you'd be best off tapping into the foreign market a bit like Swansea have done. Try and find a few more Bassongs. That mixed in with a few players with Championship experience would see you through.

We must keep a hold of some players, we need the PL quality base so if we get promoted straight away we won't have to spend gigantic amounts on replacing all the Championship players. I'd do my best to keep Enrique, Beye and Guthrie first and perhaps a couple of others.

Chris Brunt.

Sorry mate, but that's nonsense. I'm the first person to say that Newcastle shouldn't have this "bigger than you" attitude, but players like Brunt would jump at the chance of joining.

I personally don't think that if you offered him the same wage he's on at WBA that he'd go. If he would, it'd be for the money as well, and the fee that you'd pay for him would simply not be worth it. You are a big club and will be the biggest club in the league next season, but every team finishing in and around the play-offs this season and those coming down will be looking to keep hold of their best players (Paterson, Eagles, Brunt, Bodde, Ledley etc.) rather than sell them to their rivals. The money you'd have to pay would be excessive and it really would not be worth it. I do think though that WBA are a safer bet on bouncing straight back than you, and that for their players to switch to you wouldn't really be worth it for them unless you're paying silly wages (which you don't want to be doing). Although you really couldn't go wrong signing Paul Robinson.

There are some real good players below the 'cream' of the Championship, younger players, but you'd be best off tapping into the foreign market a bit like Swansea have done. Try and find a few more Bassongs. That mixed in with a few players with Championship experience would see you through.

I agree that that's the approach we should take. I just don't think we'd have players like Brunt turning us down if we really went in for him, even on the same wages. We're still a massive club in the eyes of players.

Scunny have a 15% sell on with Burnley for Paterson, so let's hope they sell him ;)

Guest BooBoo

Chris Eagles looks a really good player. I was surprised when Man Utd got rid of him and would have liked to have seen us go for him even if we had stayed up.

Chris Brunt.

Chris Brunt is in a side who might have a good chance of coming back up but will have absolutely no chance of staying there.  A side with nowhere near our level of stadium, training facilities or wage structure.  Ebanks-Blake fair enough, he'll likely be raring to go in the Premiership after a long hard season trying to get their with Wolves.  For Jason Scotland see Chris Brunt.

I get the stuff about the stadium/size of the club/facilities and reasonably higher wages, but it wouldn't be worth it for you. Ambitious Championship sides are not going to sell their best players to you on the cheap, you're going to have to be paying at least £3/4M as well as competing with sides in the bottom half of the PL for Doyle, Hunt, Eagles etc. They probably would be attracted to you when push comes to shove, but for someone like Eagles if Burnley don't get promoted I don't see why he'd join you. He'll probably get Burnley to match whatever you're offering him in wages (i.e we were paying Marlon King 25k a week to keep him at one point!) and he'd remain at a club who have gelled together well, are playing great football and ought to build on their success from this season.

Jack Cork will be an immense signing for whoever gets him (I hope we get him on loan for next season).

He's certainly looking at another year in the Championship. Spoke to him a couple of weeks back about it. I know you'll be battling with at least one other club.

Henri Lansbury would be another, although I think they're both going to the same place for a year :p

Lallana, Surman and Dyer from Southampton. Shelvey, Bailey and maybe Zhi from Charlton. Wes Hoolahan from Norwich. All of these would be relatively cheap and Shelvey, Bailey, Surman, Lallana and Dyer are all very good young prospects.

Jack Cork will be an immense signing for whoever gets him (I hope we get him on loan for next season).

He's certainly looking at another year in the Championship. Spoke to him a couple of weeks back about it. I know you'll be battling with at least one other club.

Henri Lansbury would be another, although I think they're both going to the same place for a year :p

Scunny? I hope the Rodgers connection with Chelsea would get us Cork, if not Stoch as is rumoured.

Scunny? I hope the Rodgers connection with Chelsea would get us Cork, if not Stoch as is rumoured.

Cork loved it there. He told me he wouldn't hesitate to go back on loan if the club wanted him. However, I'm sure he'd go back to you if offered anyway.

Is he in Chelsea's 'plans'? Because Newcastle could do a lot worse than spending £1.5/2M on him, him and Guthrie in the centre of midfield would be great Championship pairing.

Shefki Kuqi (Crystal Palace)

No No No No No No and no. He's 33 FFS!

There are plenty of younger, fitter, better equipped strikers who would come here and do a job.

Cox from Swindon, Keogh from Wolves to name but two.

I thought it was obvious I wasnt serious  :nope:

Maybe just for the swan dive? :smitten:

Is he in Chelsea's 'plans'? Because Newcastle could do a lot worse than spending £1.5/2M on him, him and Guthrie in the centre of midfield would be great Championship pairing.

I wouldn't have thought so, but Chelsea's midfield aren't getting any younger and they've changed their policy on spending. I'd hope so, he's a fantastic prospect.

Guest westamfan

Here's my thoughts on the players suggested so far

Joe Mattock - won't happen he'll cost a few million - that's why.

Kyle Naughton - see above

Scotland - not a bad shout but he did say recently he fancies a crack in the Premiership....so doubtful

Beckford - Realistically a target & affordable

Ross McCormack, Ledley and Gyepes - won't happen, Cardiff will want too much for them because that's what they do, you haven't got the cash. Ledley is up for grabs at 7 million, which is probably your more than your whole transfer budget.

Steve Caldwell - a premiership club captain - won't happen.

Shefki Kuqi - fat, overweight, wrong side of 30, little value...perfect!

Darren Gibson, Gibbs, Insua - Insua won't happen, the others might do...then again they could easily join Burnley or Hull instead.

Chris Brunt - Premiership player with a big value well out your league. No way.

Simon Cox - great shout that man. Would only cost a few million and has potential to be better on a bigger stage. Youngster with potential.

Sylvain Ebanks Blake - Out your price range and has more ambition to make a mark in the premiership next year. He won't give it up.

Kevin Phillips - that's about right. Zero value. Short term

Jamal Campbell-Ryce - livewire, wouldn't cost too much. Good chance that happening.

Kevin Doyle - couldn't afford him and he'll go premiership.

Stephen Hunt - Premiership bound.

Chris Eagles - Premiership player.

Routledge - Londoner enjoying QPR.

Paterson - Premiership.

Aaron McLean - Yeah, I can see him scoring at St James' next season!  O0

Jack Cork - loan for a season - could well happen

Lallana - skillful (yet raw) English attacking midfielder - best years ahead of him and could rise in value. That's what you should be aiming for.

Surman - See above

Dyer - crap, won't cost much. perfect.

Guest rinaldo #18

The thing is if we go for the better players in CCC the prices will probably go up as soon we declare our interest.

Chris Brunt.

I was using the 2 strikers as an example. I meant a player like them.

Wouldn't be too sure the big four would want us getting near their youngsters.

I think a lot of people are underestimating this as well.  Especially Man Utd after the Rossi debacle.