Championship Players

Dan Gleebals

Guest palnese

I thought Cork had already signed for a club (Leicester rings a bell) this Summer?

You mean Liverpool's Jack Hobbs?

I get the stuff about the stadium/size of the club/facilities and reasonably higher wages, but it wouldn't be worth it for you. Ambitious Championship sides are not going to sell their best players to you on the cheap, you're going to have to be paying at least £3/4M as well as competing with sides in the bottom half of the PL for Doyle, Hunt, Eagles etc. They probably would be attracted to you when push comes to shove, but for someone like Eagles if Burnley don't get promoted I don't see why he'd join you. He'll probably get Burnley to match whatever you're offering him in wages (i.e we were paying Marlon King 25k a week to keep him at one point!) and he'd remain at a club who have gelled together well, are playing great football and ought to build on their success from this season.

Like I said I wouldn't be after these players anyway.  I just don't think it would be a problem to attract them.  As long as we remove the overpaid players at the club we should be able to pay pretty high wages in comparison to other Championship clubs (£30,000+ if absolutely neccesary).

I thought Cork had already signed for a club (Leicester rings a bell) this Summer?

You mean Liverpool's Jack Hobbs?

Aye that will be right, I'm easily confused. Still Leroy Lita on a free could tide us over if we want to bounce straight back up.

westamfan, Chris Brunt isn't a Premiership player until a Premiership club sign him.  Also you've got no idea what our transfer budget may be.  I'd say that any money brought in from cutting the wage bill (which should be a considerable sum) could realistically be put back in for transfers, certainly if Shearer decides to stay.

Guest westamfan

westamfan, Chris Brunt isn't a Premiership player until a Premiership club sign him.  Also you've got no idea what our transfer budget may be.  I'd say that any money brought in from cutting the wage bill (which should be a considerable sum) could realistically be put back in for transfers, certainly if Shearer decides to stay.

What i meant was premiership quality, wanted by premiership clubs at premiership prices.

Also, don't kid yourselves, you've got no money and you can't begin to think about buying until you've sold. Why would you spend £4,5 million on Chris Brunt while you still have Duff chewing up 70k a week in wages?

It's not going to happen until Duff goes, which he won't, because nobody will spend the money in wages to get him to leave.

In other words, the best players will go and the crap will stay behind because they're not wanted or they want to continue cashing in on stupid wages.

Trust me on this one. I've seen it.

Guest Heneage

What i meant was premiership quality, wanted by premiership clubs at premiership prices.

Also, don't kid yourselves, you've got no money and you can't begin to think about buying until you've sold. Why would you spend £4,5 million on Chris Brunt while you still have Duff chewing up 70k a week in wages?

It's not going to happen until Duff goes, which he won't, because nobody will spend the money in wages to get him to leave.

In other words, the best players will go and the crap will stay behind because they're not wanted or they want to continue cashing in on stupid wages.

Hang on how on earth do you know what kind of budget we've got? I kept stum when you said we couldn't look to buy from those around us, but now you are just talking bollocks.

We must keep a hold of some players, we need the PL quality base so if we get promoted straight away we won't have to spend gigantic amounts on replacing all the Championship players. I'd do my best to keep Enrique, Beye and Guthrie first and perhaps a couple of others.

I think that is the classic mistake to make.  We go on thinking that and we will be in that division for years.  Shearer has already said we need to start thinking like a championship club straight away.

Whats that kids name from West Ham they said they will let out on loan? Get him in.

Guest westamfan

We must keep a hold of some players, we need the PL quality base so if we get promoted straight away we won't have to spend gigantic amounts on replacing all the Championship players. I'd do my best to keep Enrique, Beye and Guthrie first and perhaps a couple of others.

I think that is the classic mistake to make.  We go on thinking that and we will be in that division for years.  Shearer has already said we need to start thinking like a championship club straight away.

Whats that kids name from West Ham they said they will let out on loan? Get him in.

Freddy Sears, you can have him but he's not good enough for you.

Although loaning premiership players is a good way of bringing in players without spending big. That's what you'll be doing a lot of.

Guest westamfan

Hang on how on earth do you know what kind of budget we've got? I kept stum when you said we couldn't look to buy from those around us, but now you are just talking bollocks.

We'll see!

You're fucked pal. 15 players on more than 50k a week said McCarthy on SkyNews this morning.

Prepare to be a selling club.

chris armstrong, reading left back, and geordie to boot.

Our player of the year in a team that finished 4th and he only signed last summer, I'd be very surprised!!

With Steve Coppell and the base of your side disappearing, Doyle and the Hunts surely off, you can't expect to keep anyone decent can you?

We have to live in hope- it's all we have.

Depends who comes in as manager-you'll be upset to hear your manager is a firm favourite!!!

It's the uncertainty that gets to you-the sooner the new manager is appointed the better.

Depends who comes in as manager-you'll be upset to hear your manager is a firm favourite!!!

It's the uncertainty that gets to you-the sooner the new manager is appointed the better.

i hope you mean kinnear.

can't see shearer going anywhere just yet. if not newcastle i think he'd wait a while.

If Brendan goes, it'll be the end of our season barring a fantastic appointment. (Rumour was the Russos (fellas who've taken charge) wanted to replace Boothroyd with..... Dennis Wise. But the old guard did about the only good thing they've done since 'losing' all the money gained from promotion in hiring Rodgers.)

I'm still bitter about your players/management over the ghost goal. If you steal Brendan as well....!

I'm liking the influx of fans from other clubs. Keep it up boys.

I for one am excited, I hope we have the ability to bring people in. I hope our recruitment team have been out looking for kids all season, as it looks like we will need them.

We need to shift a good dozen players off the wage bill, and hopefully we will have our eyes on replacements, be them local or abroad.

If he gets his fitness back Ferrie Bodde from Swansea, a fantastic midfielder, but spent most of this season injured. Someone like Gomes from Swansea would be good but he is only on loan from Espanyol and there is talk a £5 million fee on his head with Prem teams taking an interest.

Ross McCormack from Cardiff is a quality player but Cardiff will be wanting a fortune for him and Joe Ledley.

It would be nice to bring in some Arsenal youngsters on loan.

I just want a massive clearout of what we currently have.

chris armstrong, reading left back, and geordie to boot.

Our player of the year in a team that finished 4th and he only signed last summer, I'd be very surprised!!

i wouldnt.

you selling him may be anothe rthing, but him wanting to come wouldnt be any kind of issue imo.

Gomez is a quality player and it looks like we've given up on getting him permanent.  

He scored 14 goals from midfield, exceptional first touch, great eye for movement and pin point passing. He was held back initially last year as Martinez wanted to slowly get him used to British football (I personally think he didn't want to let the secret out too soon either, with a view to keeping the price down). He only played regular after Bodde got injured in November, both he and rising star Joe Allen profited from Bodde's injury.