Peter Løvenkrands

Rich

Guest firetotheworks

I can't help but think Pistol Pete is holding a light saber in your avatar every time I see it.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

• 2 months later...
Guest palnese

PETER LOVENKRANDS insists that he and Andy Carroll deserve to start the new season as Newcastle United's first-choice strikers.

The Danish international scored 16 goals last term, helping the Magpies make an instant return to the Premier League.

His partnership with Carroll - who netted 19 during the campaign - was instrumental in United's promotion push.

Fellow forward Shola Ameobi hit 11 in an injury-interrupted season, while Nile Ranger scored two goals and Leon Best failed to register.

That has left many fans wondering if Newcastle will boast the firepower to survive in the top flight.

Owner Mike Ashley is unwilling to spend any "capital outlay" on new players this summer, so any incoming free agents or loan signings are unlikely to provide the answer.

But Lovenkrands believes he deserves the opportunity to prove his Premier League worth, firstly because of his hand in helping United win promotion and, secondly, since he claims he is a “completely different type” of player to his fellow strikers.

“I’m delighted to be up in the Premier League again. I hope it goes a bit differently this time,” said the 30-year-old, who was relegated with Newcastle just over a year ago.

“I obviously hope that we carry on improving, but I hope that I get credit for having been a large part of the team that got us up.

“I think I deserve to have a good chance again in the Premier League. Now we will see what happens in the transfer window, but I think Andy Carroll and I deserve another chance.

“We both scored goals in the Premier League before, and we can do again. We have lots of other good strikers, like Shola Ameobi and Leon Best.

“But I have the advantage that the others are very similar, while I am a completely different type. It may be my chance.”

Lovenkrands scored three goals in 12 appearances during United’s doomed last Premier League campaign, having joined as a free agent in January 2009.

He believes he can fare better still across a full season in the top flight.

But the former Rangers star is more circumspect about his club’s ambitions come August, insisting that following in the footsteps of last year’s “surprise” package Birmingham City would be ideal, but that avoiding relegation is ultimately what matters.

“Newcastle is a huge club, but realistically we must first only look to stay in the Premier League and then build on that afterwards,” he said.

“Of course, we hope to create a surprise like Birmingham did last season and finish in the top 10.

“But first we must guarantee against relegation. If we do that, we can set new goals during the season.”

Meanwhile, sources in Holland claim that United are keen on FC Groningen’s five-times capped Swedish international defender Andreas Granqvist.

But Newcastle face stiff competition for the 25-year-old – who failed to make an impact during just over a year at Wigan Athletic – from Celtic and Fulham, as well as clubs abroad.

“There are many clubs who are interested from Scotland, France and Germany,” he said last night.

“Celtic have had me watched several times. Celtic currently show the most interest and I am certainly interested.

“Certainly, there is a difference between interest and concrete, but it looks promising.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/...2703-26562148/

To be fair, i am interested to see if he can still cut it for a couple of seasons. Its goals like his QPR away and Boro away ones that show he has that instant pace off the line...he can nip into gaps and we know he can finish. He is a great stopgap, and 30 isnt that old, but tbf, ive seen few 30 year olds with as much pace as he has, who are we gonna get that is better like? No capital outlay means we need to spend whatever we do get in wisely, surely centremids are more important really?

Not really. Goals will keep us up, not CMs. A creative central mid would be nice but who exactly is he going to be supplying? Lovenkrands who needs 3 or 4 chances to score? Carroll who remains a pretty poor player with his feet?

Striker is a must or we're going down.

More than adequate? Do me a favour with that biased nonsense, he has 3 premier league goals and 16 in the championship, 3  of those being penalties.

If that's more than adequate, David Nugent is on the verge of being world class.

Got to agree really. It's been proved time and again that proven goalscorers can keep total shite teams up. Most recent example, obviously, is the Mackems last season.

I like both Carroll and Lovenkrands but i can't bare the thought of them two being first choice next season. They both did well individually but, to be fair, they're not even that good an actual partnership. Can remember them being a potential partnership the season we went down, think it was just as Kinnear went into hospital and everyone was just like :kasper: . Shitting it, and rightly so, they're not good enough for the Premier League.

If there's any sliver of a transfer account - the majority of it wants to be bundled on a striker. It's not the position we're weakest in, but, cliche as it is - it's all about goals isn't. Obviously we'll need a centre-mid too, but striker is absolute priority.

More than adequate? Do me a favour with that biased nonsense, he has 3 premier league goals and 16 in the championship, 3  of those being penalties.

If that's more than adequate, David Nugent is on the verge of being world class.

Lovenkrands didnt have a pre season last year and for the majority of the first half of the season, he was either shunted out to the left wing or used off the bench. It wasnt until January that he started to find form when he was played in his proper position.

Coincidentally, it was about the same time that Carroll started knoocking in the goals as well. Better service from midfield especially the wings was the major influence here.

This year, with a decent rest behind them,  no world cup commitments, good pre season together and a more confident group of players, I see no reason why both players cannot score regularly for the club.

Looking at our current opponents, I see them as being a better pairing up front than the likes of West Ham, Wigan, Blackpool, WBA, Stoke, Wolves and Bolton currently have on their books.

Guest BooBoo

Frightening to think that we are even considering AC and PL as a striking duo in the Premier League. Think I said it in another thread and I'm not normally pessimistic, but at the moment I'm pretty sure we will go straight back down. Our current strongest XI is weak by top flight standard and I just can't where the goals will come from.

Guest JamesyJazz

AC will scare the sh*t out of many prem defences with his physical presence and play,I'm certain PL will score goals given decent service.We need to ensure that there is creative play from the midfield,a fully fit and functional Joey Barton(providing he doesn't pagga someone on or off pitch)could be the provider.

I don't understand the defeatest attitude prevailing on here that we're going straight back down.Ok,we're not going to be top 4 but we'll be midtable imo.

Lovenkrands won't be prolific but given the chance he will score a few goals. If played as first choice striker I think he could break 10 in all competitions.

I wouldn't want to rely on him though.

Guest Roger Kint

Lovenkrands isn't quick though.

Lovenkrands is probably one of the quickest players in the premier league, imo, up there with Walcott, Lennon, Agbonlahor, Bellamy and even our very own Jose Enrique

:mackems: