Would you welcome a takeover?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Micktoon

If you look at Ashley's statement from last night, the final sentence about discussing how to take the club forward could relate to the takeover. It might be a bit of a conspiracy theory but I reckon this could have been the plan from the first day Shearer took over. There was a mention of it at the time, and it would make sense, given that Shearer has at times been highly critical of Ashley's regime in the past. Kinnear has kept his trap shut, probably with a confidentiality clause in any payoff he was given.

It would also make good sense given that a billionaire has just assumed control of our closest rivals, and whilst we are at best 12 months behind them, as a club we would want to lose as little ground as possible on them.

If they have a vision and plan to make the best out of a bad situation, great. The optimism created by a fresh look at the top, coupled with a reasonable transfer kitty and (hopefully) good solid performances from the outset, should ensure that crowds remain high, keeping gate receipts at a reasonable level.

I don't know how much we make from replica shirts, but the sponsor change and potential celebration of being promoted at the first time of asking could mean a complete new kit for the start of the 2010 campaign, so that might help bring in a few extra quid. In terms of television deals, it would be interesting if we were able to sell rights to our championship games abroad, as I'm sure there would be no shortage of takers. This would help bring in some revenue as well.

Although we will inevitably still be short of what we make in the premier league, I'd say in the right hands we are still an attractive investment for anyone. We'd lose money in a season in the championship, but with promotion at the first time of asking, and good levels of investment in years 1 and 2 the club would be back to it's "Premier League" value in no time at all.

We may not be a big club in terms of trophies and Champions League Football, but in terms of potential revenues and global fanbase we're still massive. At the end of the day it's the potential to make money that dictates a football club's value as much as winning trophies etc. How many teams in years gone by have had so much media coverage in the wake of relegation?

Man City were relegated a few years ago and look at them now. They may have had to go right down before they got back to where they are now, but with the right management and outlook we can hopefully avoid that, and bounce back stronger. If you'd asked their fans back then if they could foresee one of the best players in the world signing for them at a cost of £30m they'd have laughed at you.

So here's hoping.........

Good post.

Guest alankhaw

We're already a few weeks behind in terms of preparation for next season so it would be more of a hindrance since there would be some sort of transfer embargo. I'm all for a takeover next season whether we're still in the Championship or in the Premiership but not right now.

We're already a few weeks behind in terms of preparation for next season so it would be more of a hindrance since there would be some sort of transfer embargo. I'm all for a takeover next season whether we're still in the Championship or in the Premiership but not right now.

Might be best to do it now, if its true of course.

Can you see Ashley changing his ways?  I cant.

If he didn't know the squad was a dead cert for relegation at the end of january, exactly what lessons does anyone expect him to learn? What the twat knows about football could fit on a postage stamp - second class obviously, the fucker's too cheap for first.

There is never a perfect time for a takeover but any opportunity to get rid of that fat twat must be grasped with both hands.

Things aren't going to get any better under him. His ever dwindling fortune means he is simply not going to put the money in the club needs to bounce straight back and after watching him destroy us over the past two years I don't believe he'll learn from his mistakes. It's the simple stuff like the appointments, timing of said appointments and general handling of every crisis which makes it patently obvious he's a non-football man making football decisions and poor ones at that

Lets be honest, his appointment of Shearer was no great coup either. I know some people have softened their stance on MA because he sought to bring in Big Al but he pretty much acknowledged that he'd have taken the job no matter what the situation in his first press conference. There is also the fact that Shearer is another roll of the dice, much like Keegan was and much like Kinnear was. It's another appointment which smacks of desperation and made by someone who isn't in the real world. I was as happy to see Shearer come back as the next bloke simply because I jizz in my kegs a little bit when I think of everything he did on the pitch but the fact of the matter is he isn't a proven manager which you could argue is what we needed. I'm not saying Shearer wont be a good manager, it's too early to tell, but it was the type of gamble you expect a man like Ashley, who gives away positions at the club on the spin of a roulette wheel (allegedly) to make.

I've seen enough of the Ashley regime to make my decision that he's never going to be the right man to run this club in the long term. You can talk about stability and the likes but we're never going to have any under this man.

Good post, difficult to argue with any of that.

Guest alankhaw

I can't see him changing his ways but this takeover process would take months and affect our season ahead. Not to mention delaying an appointment of a full time manager.

Time is not on our side in terms of reshaping the squad for the Championship. We have to move on a large number of players and replace them with players who can start performing almost immediately. We've had little time to prepare for this, having been through 4 managers in the last year, and losing a chunk of the summer engaged in a takeover would leave us very ill-prepared for the new campaign. Given that our priority must be climbing back as quickly as possible, I'd say a takeover is pretty unwelcome right now.

In the immediate short-term, Ashley staying with Shearer at the helm will minimise the disruption and allow everyone to get on with rebuilding, pronto.

However, we also need long-term stability and I doubt we'll ever have that under Ashley. He has made so many mistakes from day one that it seems ludicrous to assume he won't do it again. I really believe that he'll sell up the second he gets the chance, so perhaps the best we can hope for is to bounce straight back and see if any bids come in. Now is not a good time for us though, we've got enough rebuilding on our hands as it is.

I can't see him changing his ways but this takeover process would take months and affect our season ahead. Not to mention delaying an appointment of a full time manager.

Well it maybe better to change  put up with a second season in the champ and get rid of the fool.

If we get promoted we won't have the money to survive in the Premier League we are going to be crippled with Championship players, and an owner who is intent on running the club with the goal of breaking even each and every year.  We will have a transfer budget of maybe 10million at most? if we came back up.

I would hate for this club to be a yoyo club. I would gladly accept a takeover, i have zero faith in this lot.

It would depend on who the buyer was, how much cash they have, whether they'd be paying off that loan to Ashley or just leaving the club to pay it back over the years, whether they have enough cash spare for transfers.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

It would depend on who the buyer was, how much cash they have, whether they'd be paying off that loan to Ashley or just leaving the club to pay it back over the years, whether they have enough cash spare for transfers.

Why would it matter if they are paying back the loan immediately or in installments.  If they are buying the club they will know they are in debt - and would be a factor in their decision making.

Why would it matter if they are paying back the loan immediately or in installments.  If they are buying the club they will know they are in debt - and would be a factor in their decision making.

At least you'd hope so

</Ashley>

Guest Phil K

He is well out of his f***ing depth, in fact he is stuck in the deep end of the old wallsend public baths surrounded by 3 foot cockroaches who in turn are chasing blobs of s*** floating in the pool.

Hey ! I used to like Wallsend baths.

It only closed because the unelected big-earinged, Dr Marten and Y-front wearing, "rusty bikes" at North Tyneside council wouldn't allow money to renovate it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/5393374/Newcastle-fans-wary-of-club-takeover.html

A lukewarm welcomed greeted reports that investment banker Keith Harris is reportedly brokering a takeover deal less than two years after Ashley bought the club in a £134.4 million buy-out.

Harris, the head of the City investment bank Seymour Pierce who was hired by Ashley to sell the club last year, is understood to have travelled to Tyneside on Tuesday for talks with a consortium interested in buying the St James’ Park club.

“When Mike Ashley first bought the club most people welcomed it but what we have learnt in the last two years is that it’s not what people say that counts it’s what people do,” NUSC member Michael Ord told Telegraph Sport.

“So whilst on the face of it would be good news, in my opinion that depends on who he sells to and what their intentions are. That’s important.

“As long as he sells to a person or a group of people who have the long-term interests of the club at heart, and will invest in the football club and help us recover premier league status, and take us forward as a club, great.

“If he is going to sell to a group of people who are going to take money out of the club and further our decline then that will be bad news.”

Ashley is currently trying to persuade Alan Shearer to take over as manager on a long-term basis but Ord insists prospective new owners should be privy to his appointment.

“Mr Ashley complained when he took over the club that a new manager had just been appointed who wasn’t his choice,” Ord added.

“Irrespective of who it is, if the club is going to be sold then it’s the people who are buying it who need to talk to Alan Shearer, or any other prospective manager, because it needs to be their man.

“The important thing is that whoever is going to be in charge of the club in terms of ownership for next season they need to have the decision as to who will be the manager.”

Ord is backing Ashley’s attempts to persuade Shearer to sign a four-year contract to steer his hometown club back into the Premier League.

“Alan Shearer is an absolute hero in Newcastle,” Ord continued. “But if he was to manage us in the Championship, or Division Two as I would call it, he needs to have people around him who have knowledge and understand that league because it’s not like the Premiership.

“He needs people around him who will help him find the right players to get us out of that league. It won’t be the same players who could take us back up to the Premiership. We need to have the right people for the right jobs.

“He is professional enough and I am sure determined enough to make sure that if he is appointed that he gets it right.

"I have confidence that he is the right man for the job and he is one of the only people who would be afforded the time to get things right by fans who have been accused of lacking patience in the past.”

Guest Phil K

Hmmm, i just having a feeling that we wont be sold and the mess will continue.

Sadly I think you're right

Even if we were taken over, its just more disruption I suppose.

On the Journal webcast last week, someone said that a seriously rich consortium had been in discussions with Seymour Pierce and that they had been in contact with Shepherd because of his knowledge of the club.  As is usual, it was dismissed out of hand but he was insistent that something was afoot.